Devonta Smith | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devonta Smith

There are measurements taken on players for a reason, and while I don't think they are the primary reason to pick or not to pick a player, they do have some meaningful value. Smith is skinny and he is fast, but his frame size is definitely a concern for injury, and every team is going to want to bulk him up after they draft him. That said, how much speed if any does he lose at a modest weight increase? At his size, what can he do when CB's start to jam him hard at the line? If he has put on some weight but won't run, it could be he is slower and knows it will hurt his position. I highly doubt he has been promised his draft spot at this time.

Remember, just because he looked great in college means nothing at the next level, something that Tua knows this all too well. A player that can't separate or is built too small at a high contact position isn't long for the NFL, no matter how much talent and skill he has. Remember Pat White?

There are measurements taken on players for a reason, and while I don't think they are the primary reason to pick or not to pick a player, they do have some meaningful value. Smith is skinny and he is fast, but his frame size is definitely a concern for injury, and every team is going to want to bulk him up after they draft him. That said, how much speed if any does he lose at a modest weight increase? At his size, what can he do when CB's start to jam him hard at the line? If he has put on some weight but won't run, it could be he is slower and knows it will hurt his position. I highly doubt he has been promised his draft spot at this time.

Remember, just because he looked great in college means nothing at the next level, something that Tua knows this all too well. A player that can't separate or is built too small at a high contact position isn't long for the NFL, no matter how much talent and skill he has. Remember Pat White?
*cough*

He took one legitimate hit in the NC game and folded like a chair. The hit also resulted in him breaking a finger (at least). I think it’s fair to question how a 170lbs frame will hold up over a NFL career. I will say that I really don’t see him as a true #1 WR. He is a guy I would move all over the field to find miss matches; I certainly wouldn’t want him outside vs the opponents #1 CB all game.
Are you implying that if he had 20 more pounds that his finger wouldn't have broken?

Please get me out of this offseason.

Fun fact: Pitts at 6'6" 245lbs missed more games this season than 115lb Devonta Smith has his entire career.

The "he's going to get injured" argument is maybe the dumbest possible thing I ever hear in football. It can happen to anybody, any time. Doesn't matter if you weigh 340 or 150.

I’m sticking to my guns here. Pick at 6 is Pitts or Waddle and Smith falls because other nfl people think like half the board and think he is too small. Dolphins grab him at 15 not giving up a lot to grab him and then have two dynamic receivers added to help Tua grow. And Smith ends up being good to great and while many will be pulling crow out of the oven to serve nobody will eat it because

“nobody could have guessed he would be good at that size”

🙄

Fun fact: Pitts at 6'6" 245lbs missed more games this season than 115lb Devonta Smith has his entire career.

The "he's going to get injured" argument is maybe the dumbest possible thing I ever hear in football. It can happen to anybody, any time. Doesn't matter if you weigh 340 or 150.

Yeah Tua was the injury prone one and yet Burrow was the one who got hurt.

People’s logic is super solid when labeling athletes lol

Yeah Tua was the injury prone one and yet Burrow was the one who got hurt.

People’s logic is super solid when labeling athletes lol
Because it's easier to make specious conclusions based on random numbers and make yourself feel like you're an expert.

Takes a little bit more effort to see that the separation on tape between guys like Smith and Pitts/Chase is night and day despite how much of a "freak athlete" those guys are.

I’m sticking to my guns here. Pick at 6 is Pitts or Waddle and Smith falls because other nfl people think like half the board and think he is too small. Dolphins grab him at 15 not giving up a lot to grab him and then have two dynamic receivers added to help Tua grow. And Smith ends up being good to great and while many will be pulling crow out of the oven to serve nobody will eat it because

“nobody could have guessed he would be good at that size”

🙄
Only takes one team that's not dumb. He'll never fall like that.

Back
Top Bottom