Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works

pcfin said:
I have never seen a deal be so long "in the works". Complete the deal or lets move on. I would just as happy to see him remain on the roster. If he performs real well next year we can think about 'franchising', if not then let him go.
Some deals are in the works for years.

Like I said in another thread about the Surtain trade,since KC recently was awarded a 3rd round comp. pick. It should've made giving up their 2nd rounder alot easier for them to do and get the deal done!

ether79 said:
Yeah ok, the only problem with the post is the sentence about us losing our rights to Surtain next year. You must have forgot about the franchise tag? It's been said that we might use it if Pat is still on the team at that point.

Yeah, but until it happens, them's the facts. If this, if that.. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Personally, I want to see this deal get done, now, and we can find a second-rounder on our own, but I'm sure this is much of the logic being tossed back and forth on 1 Arrowhead Drive.

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:
Yeah, but until it happens, them's the facts. If this, if that.. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Personally, I want to see this deal get done, now, and we can find a second-rounder on our own, but I'm sure this is much of the logic being tossed back and forth on 1 Arrowhead Drive.
I hope the deal gets done for a 2nd too, no reason to chance it if you're on the Chiefs side.

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:

It is a FACT that we can use the franchise tag on Surtain next year.

Sure, it's fact that you CAN, not that you WILL. And do you guys really want to keep spending that much money on a guy who wants out, and who can net you a lot of value for a roster overhaul? Honestly, If KC offers say, a 4th & a 5th or a 6th this year, AND next year's 3rd rounder, wouldn't that be a little tempting?

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:
Sure, it's fact that you CAN, not that you WILL. And do you guys really want to keep spending that much money on a guy who wants out, and who can net you a lot of value for a roster overhaul? Honestly, If KC offers say, a 4th & a 5th or a 6th this year, AND next year's 3rd rounder, wouldn't that be a little tempting?
Nope. That first day pick this year is important.

inFINSible said:
Nope. That first day pick this year is important.
Yeah i think the first day pick seems to be VERY important to Saban. As for Surtain wanting out, I'd say thats taking the situation a little too far.

stickman said:
Again, this is coming from AM 610 out of KC. Don't blast me this time, I am just posting what I heard.

Thanks. Was he speaking as though it was going to happen? As if it were soon to take place? Or, was he talking as though this is something that has been going on for some time?

Thanks.

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:
KC doesn't want to give up a second-rounder for a guy y'all will lose the rights to in a year. A second-round pick for 16 games is a good deal for y'all, but kind of a tough pill to swallow for us (this is general sentiment from KC; personally, I say do it. We draft for crap anyways).

This is more than a few times I've read this. Look KC is trying (in all practical purposes) to buy a pro bowl CB from Miami. KC isn't compensating Miami for the 16 games he would play in 05, they're compensating Miami for the CB that Miami has, that Miami devloped, that Miami put on the trading block, that KC WANTS.
A 2nd rounder (plus late round picks) compensation for a pro bowl CB that KC doesn't have to develope and can make an immediate impact this season and for the next 4 or 5 years to come is more than fair.

KC fans are putting way too much in the theory that we can't work out a long term deal with Surtain or do a sign and trade next year or something in terms of keeping him or trading him.

ether79 said:
Yeah i think the first day pick seems to be VERY important to Saban. As for Surtain wanting out, I'd say thats taking the situation a little too far.
What are the odds of us finding a player of Surtain's caliber with a 4th and 5th selection. Poor, at best.
Maybe we can get a player that matches Surtain next year in the third but, who really knows what the third round is going to look like next year.

We KNOW there are players in the second round this year, that are comparable to Surtain....It's the safest way to ensure that we get player for player value in this trade.

stickman said:
Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works.

Either get the deal done, or be quiet. If they are still offering no better then a 4th, then no, there is no deal in the works, only a game that you and your team are playing.

inFINSible said:
What are the odds of us finding a player of Surtain's caliber with a 4th and 5th selection. Poor, at best.
Maybe we can get a player that matches Surtain next year in the third but, who really knows what the third round is going to look like next year.

We KNOW there are players in the second round this year, that are comparable to Surtain....It's the safest way to ensure that we get player for player value in this trade.
Yeah I completely agree. I say 2nd this year and a late rounder this or next year.

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:

Next years 2nd has to be in there for it to be tempting. If you can't cough one up in '05 then you better be able to in '06.

It would be tempting, but that's me...I don't see nothing wrong with future picks. If a 2nd would do it this year why wouldn't it do it next, a pick is a pick.

Back
Top Bottom