Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works

stickman said:
Again, this is coming from AM 610 out of KC. Don't blast me this time, I am just posting what I heard.

good, i look foward to recieving some low round picks...a #1 maybe a #2

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Next years 2nd has to be in there for it to be tempting. If you can't cough one up in '05 then you better be able to in '06.

It would be tempting, but that's me...I don't see nothing wrong with future picks. If a 2nd would do it this year why wouldn't it do it next, a pick is a pick.
Not even. If Saban really wants to stick to 'value' A second next year is equivalent to a third this year. So for it to be 'tempting' it would have to be a second this year OR a first next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... Wasn't Surtain a 2nd round pick himself? So why in the hell would we give him up for a pick less than that?? Surtain is better now than when he was drafted. Sure he is older, but he isn't too old and the man can flat out play.

I have an idea...why don't we trade them Will Poole for their first round pic?? I mean if younger is what they want then Poole is their man. Surtain didn't start his first year just like Poole. Both are very similar since coming into the league . So give us a 2nd for Surtain, a proven Pro Bowl cornerback 28/29 years of age. Or give us a 1st for a young up and coming corner that could be a pro bowler one day. Or draft a corner and maybe you'll get a pro bowler or maybe you won't. Seems easy to me.....:wink:

Oboy said:
Not even. If Saban really wants to stick to 'value' A second next year is equivalent to a third this year. So for it to be 'tempting' it would have to be a second this year OR a first next year.

I realize this but I think that's kind of over-hyped. That's why I said "a pick is a pick" because it doesn't really matter to me. They're also throwing in a 4th &5th to compensate, aside from the 2nd next year. I would probably do it but I think loading up picks is the only way to do it. I could be described as pick happy...

don't forget the Vermiel is in the last year of his contract, I bet he wants to make a run at the superbowl with a verteran CB like Surtain. Woodson is too old and too expensive, and Ty Law is still in a wheelchair. I see this deal getting done before the draft

Challenger74 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.... Wasn't Surtain a 2nd round pick himself? So why in the hell would we give him up for a pick less than that?? Surtain is better now than when he was drafted. Sure he is older, but he isn't too old and the man can flat out play.

I have an idea...why don't we trade them Will Poole for their first round pic?? I mean if younger is what they want then Poole is their man. Surtain didn't start his first year just like Poole. Both are very similar since coming into the league . So give us a 2nd for Surtain, a proven Pro Bowl cornerback 28/29 years of age. Or give us a 1st for a young up and coming corner that could be a pro bowler one day. Or draft a corner and maybe you'll get a pro bowler or maybe you won't. Seems easy to me.....:wink:

Simple, because of the cap. Poole isn't costing us much right now, Surtain is. Plus I'd rather have Poole on the team if he has some Pro Bowl years ahead of him.

Surtain does not want out of Miami. He wants to stay in Miami for the rest of his career, but he wants a good contract too, and he doesn't see the good contract happening in Miami for "business purposes"

That is one of the many fallacies that KC fans have to get straight. There is nothing forcing Miami's hand on this one. We have enough money right now to sign our rookies and field a pretty good team in 2005, with the additions we've made during the offseason. But, in that scenario, Randy McMichael I believe would become a free agent in 2006, and I do not think they want that to happen. That, to me, is the secondary reason they want to unload Surtain, the primary reason being we want draft picks right now so that we can replenish the roster in a few key areas (DT, S, OL, QB, RB, you name it).

KC fans who think that Surtain could be cut on June 1st, or that Miami is desperate to get rid of him, can enjoy getting use to the idea of watching Surtain play lights out football in a Miami uniform once again in 2005, while the KC defense gets torched by an angry Randy Moss who is out to prove to the world that Minnesota did a bad bad thing getting rid of him.

ckparrothead said:
Surtain does not want out of Miami. He wants to stay in Miami for the rest of his career, but he wants a good contract too, and he doesn't see the good contract happening in Miami for "business purposes"

That is one of the many fallacies that KC fans have to get straight. There is nothing forcing Miami's hand on this one. We have enough money right now to sign our rookies and field a pretty good team in 2005, with the additions we've made during the offseason. But, in that scenario, Randy McMichael I believe would become a free agent in 2006, and I do not think they want that to happen. That, to me, is the secondary reason they want to unload Surtain, the primary reason being we want draft picks right now so that we can replenish the roster in a few key areas (DT, S, OL, QB, RB, you name it).

KC fans who think that Surtain could be cut on June 1st, or that Miami is desperate to get rid of him, can enjoy getting use to the idea of watching Surtain play lights out football in a Miami uniform once again in 2005, while the KC defense gets torched by an angry Randy Moss who is out to prove to the world that Minnesota did a bad bad thing getting rid of him.

Just to amplify what you're saying, CK, I think a lot of observers are comparing the Surtain situation to the Ogunleye situation of a year ago. Whereas the team's relationship with Wale pretty much dictated that he leave, the Surtain bridge has not yet been burned. The organization has done a fantastic job of framing negotiations as no more than both parties being free to explore their options.

Pocoloco said:
Simple, because of the cap. Poole isn't costing us much right now, Surtain is. Plus I'd rather have Poole on the team if he has some Pro Bowl years ahead of him.

Well, if I could get that trade I would do it in a heart beat(Will Poole for a #1). Cap space is way over-hyped. Contracts can be reworked and if we wanted to we could afford Surtain. Only reason we are electing not to keep Surtain is because we are stacked at CB and we have other holes to fill.

Actually, I was just using that trade as an example to counter people saying Surtain is too old.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Next years 2nd has to be in there for it to be tempting. If you can't cough one up in '05 then you better be able to in '06.

It would be tempting, but that's me...I don't see nothing wrong with future picks. If a 2nd would do it this year why wouldn't it do it next, a pick is a pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trade that goes through is this year's 4th and next year's 2nd. Carl gets to prove he can drive a deal (sort of), and Saban gets to prove that he held out for his coveted 2nd rounder.

I'd like to see the deal go through, but I can see why KC is holding on to this year's second-rounder. With our offense, tweaking our defense will be the difference between deep-into-the-playoffs and more .500 mediocrity. So, sure, we need Surtain, but we need that second-rounder for a linebacker who can contribute immediately, too.

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the trade that goes through is this year's 4th and next year's 2nd. Carl gets to prove he can drive a deal (sort of), and Saban gets to prove that he held out for his coveted 2nd rounder.

I'd like to see the deal go through, but I can see why KC is holding on to this year's second-rounder. With our offense, tweaking our defense will be the difference between deep-into-the-playoffs and more .500 mediocrity. So, sure, we need Surtain, but we need that second-rounder for a linebacker who can contribute immediately, too.

I hear ya.

Hopefully we get this thing done and both teams improve...that's always the idea.

I see this happening on draft day as well

I think what will end up happening is this:

MIA will be waiting for the Chiefs to give them thier 2nd,
The Chiefs will go ahead and use the 2nd on a defensive player like a CB to play the Nickel or a LB for depth,
The Dolphins will then accept the Chiefs' offer of a 4th this year and a 2nd next year

GregWesley said:
I see this happening on draft day as well

I think what will end up happening is this:

MIA will be waiting for the Chiefs to give them thier 2nd,
The Chiefs will go ahead and use the 2nd on a defensive player like a CB to play the Nickel or a LB for depth,
The Dolphins will then accept the Chiefs' offer of a 4th this year and a 2nd next year

King Carl can keep playing games.

While the KC window continues to get smaller and smaller.......

Surtain`s salary is already accounted for in this years cap.

We will simply keep him and franchise him next year if need be.

We could release Derrius Thompson and have all the money we need to sign picks and head into next year.

Point being.....Miami can always wait until next year.

Were not giving up Surtain for the 100th pick in the draft and a 3rd rounder next year. (2006 2nd round value)

Its not going to happen!!!

@HVACservice lets wait and see nobodys knows !

NOLA Chiefs Fan said:
Sure, it's fact that you CAN, not that you WILL. And do you guys really want to keep spending that much money on a guy who wants out, and who can net you a lot of value for a roster overhaul? Honestly, If KC offers say, a 4th & a 5th or a 6th this year, AND next year's 3rd rounder, wouldn't that be a little tempting?
....I was not aware thats Surtain wants out, I thought that PS was more then happy to stay in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom