Did Saban Contradict himself? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Saban Contradict himself?

Joey 22 said:
Now you bring up Spielman, I think we should keep him, not give him ANY desicion making responsabilities, but keep him at some scouting position, he is kinda good at that.

kind of good, :shakeno:, tell him what you want, and give him the specific's of what you're looking for, he goes out and get it Period. I like him as GM, even with all the power. I hope Saban's as good as people think when it comes to talent evaluations. He's a system man just like speilman and the rest, it's just what system they base their evaluations on. For what Wanny was running, the system they had in place was excellent, except Wanny reached instead of getting the bpa, he got the bpa at a need position, hince the Fletcher's of the world. I think Spielman use the same chart, but went after bpa, except on the Carey's draft, there he went for need. But the rest of his draft looked like BPA.

fishypete said:
...The only thing we do know is....he didn't mention Mayo.
Oh yes he did...

"If y'all went to my cottage right now in North Carolina, we've got no mustard and 15 bottles of ketchup in the pantry because every time my wife goes to the store, she picks up a bottle because she doesn't take a list. She doesn't know what she wants. She just goes to the store and buys stuff. So we end up with lots of ketchup, no mustard and sometimes no mayonnaise, so everybody has got to eat ketchup."

Saban changed the draft grading system. He is going to go in knowing exactly what he needs and exactly what he wants. The only thing remaining to discover is will the store have the item in stock?

There is the quote, thanks phinstigator. A couple of days after saying that, he said that he thinks it would be a mistake to draft a player because of a need, and the best player available would have the best value to the team.

landshark44 said:
There is the quote, thanks phinstigator. A couple of days after saying that, he said that he thinks it would be a mistake to draft a player because of a need, and the best player available would have the best value to the team.
No...he says it would be a mistake to draft a player strictly because of need. If BPA matches a need, he would take that player.

Ketchup = Quarterback

Saban's draft grading system will take on the Bill Belichick grading curve that Saban was familiar with in Cleveland.

Bill Belichick has never drafted a QB before the 3rd round in his 10 year coaching tenure. His drafts have been weighted toward DT's, TE's, DB's, Offensive linemen, and an occassional RB or WR in the First round. In fact, Belichick was very happy to trade away the rights to Bledsoe in order to get another 1st round DT.

PhinstiGator said:
In fact, Belichick was very happy to trade away the rights to Bledsoe in order to get another 1st round DT.
He already knew what he had in Brady at that point!

here's the quote...

''I really feel that when you're picking that high in the draft, you make some mistakes if you just take need into consideration,'' Saban said. ``Everybody as a coach would like to satisfy some need in the draft that you have, but when you're picking that high, you better pick the player that has the most value to the organization long-term. If we have to pick there, that's what we have to do.''

SabanSpeak at it's finest.

inFINSible said:
here's the quote...

SabanSpeak at it's finest.

I think the most telling part of the quote is.....

If we have to pick there....

Tells me he doesn't really want to.... thus trade down is what he is looking to do. But he wants proper value, as his stance on the Surtain deal proves.

dolfan4good said:
He already knew what he had in Brady at that point!
Yes, he had Brady with less than 500 pass attempts under his belt and Damion Huard on the bench. Most coaches would have held on to the security of having Bledsoe as plan B.

Belichick cashed him in and promtly drafted a 4th round QB from LSU. His draft grading system is obviously not weighted towards the QB position.

Spielman deserves credit where its due, but I'm concerned that the credits to Spielman's name are in fact mostly near-misses, while the detriments are actual misses or situations where we overpaid. He negotiated the Ricky Williams trade, at a price which was then, and is now, far too high. He negotiated the 4th rounder to move from #20 to #19. He negotiated the 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley which a lotof people are laughing at, and did as soon as it happened. Give credit where credit is do, but don't ignore the faults. This guy was never ready to take the reins and have full control. Let him stick to coordinating the grading systems, and then actually listen to him when he says Jamar Fletcher is a 3rd rounder and Anquan Boldin is going to be awesome. Just don't listen to him when he says it would be worth it for us to give a 1st round pick for Rohan Davey.

Back
Top Bottom