Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
627689752.jpg.0.jpg

It can be said that when the Dolphins were on the clock with the 11th overall pick, all four of the top quarterbacks were gone.
And that is true.
But if the Dolphins really, really wanted to move up for Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen, of course they could have.
Miami decided it was not worth it.
And lets not forget, Miami still really, really believes in Ryan Tannehill.
And I am not here, despite my pre-draft recommendation of selecting a quarterback, to suggest that they were wrong.
“I didn’t expect Minkah (Fitzpatrick) to be there,” Miami general manager Chris Grier said Saturday, of his first-round safety from Alabama. “For me, he was probably one of the top five or six players in this draft.”
And The Daily Dolphin agrees. To land Fitzpatrick in the first round was a coup.
For Miami, this was a draft to fill needs. And though Miami did not draft a quarterback or an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman, the most important needs were fulfilled.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ns-really-really-need-to-draft-a-quarterback/

I'm of the opinion that they did. I'd take a flier over David Fales.

Alas, I'm not the person calling the shots.

I'm of the opinion that they did. I'd take a flier over David Fales.

Alas, I'm not the person calling the shots.
Had Fales completed that comeback vs the Bills instead of throwing the pick after the onside kick I’d be ok w him on the roster. Instead he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Ah well.

I said it all along. No. We need talent. With Ryan back we needed all the picks we could muster to improve the rest of the roster.
As far as I’m concerned Ryan isn’t back until he makes it to Opening Day. Hopefully no setbacks in training camp or preseason. Is anyone actually comfortable with Osweiler to save the season if Tannehill goes down again? It’ll be last year all over again.

This was the time to give Tannehill legitimate competition to prove he deserves to still be our guy. Like the Chiefs did to Alex Smith by drafting Mahomes. It made him play better and had he lifted a Super Bowl with them he would still be their quarterback.

We pretty much handed Tannehill the job and have never really pushed him. Moore was happy as a backup. So Tannehill has had it easy and once again he'll have it easy. I could understand it if he got us to the play offs as a rookie, but to date he's done nothing to warrant undisputed status on this roster.

Had Rosen fallen to us I'd have been tempted but probably would have still taken Fitzpatrick. However, I would have drafted Mason Rudolph when he was available in the third. He's someone who we could have picked and developed, and he sounds like someone that would have been fired up to prove he deserves to be a starter as well, and not just happy to hold a clipboard and work on his tan.

This was the time to give Tannehill legitimate competition to prove he deserves to still be our guy. Like the Chiefs did to Alex Smith by drafting Mahomes. It made him play better and had he lifted a Super Bowl with them he would still be their quarterback.

We pretty much handed Tannehill the job and have never really pushed him. Moore was happy as a backup. So Tannehill has had it easy and once again he'll have it easy. I could understand it if he got us to the play offs as a rookie, but to date he's done nothing to warrant undisputed status on this roster.

Had Rosen fallen to us I'd have been tempted but probably would have still taken Fitzpatrick. However, I would have drafted Mason Rudolph when he was available in the third. He's someone who we could have picked and developed, and he sounds like someone that would have been fired up to prove he deserves to be a starter as well, and not just happy to hold a clipboard and work on his tan.
Well said

213 sacks and 5th most sacked QB in the NFL since he got drafted despite missing all of 2017... Easy? LOL!

Tannehill has never had competition for his job. Matt Moore spent most of his time holding a clipboard and working on his tan. What's his competition this year, Brock Osweiler? I suppose he got paid a few years back, but he's failed time and again to prove he is a legitimate starter in this league. So yes, Tannehill has had it easy because he's never been pushed or had to fight for his job. It got given to him on a platter and it's remained that way ever since.

Now obviously he's taken blows, but that's a different matter entirely.

I've always thought this was the biggest bunch of BS. Guys like Tannehill don't need competition to play better. If you don't like him and want a better player at the position then fine but to suggest that Ryan is just coasting by because there's no real threat behind him is just flat out wrong. By all accounts Ryan is a hard worker, burries himself into the playbook, gets his guys in off-season to start throwing working on timing etc. Basically he does whatever it takes to succeed. There are a lot of good or great starting QB's in this league that have never had serious competition behind them.

Aside from all of that I've said all off-season that there was no way Miami was taking a QB in this draft. Gase and co have to be on a somewhat short leash right now which means they need to win, and win soon. The quickest way to do that would be to have Ryan come back and play well while adding some missing pieces. Well regardless of whether or not you think he'll play well I can damn near guarantee that's what Gase and Co. Are banking on.

Think about everything they've done in the offseason... interior OL was bad - they add a pro bowl guard, and replace our oft injured center. Our offense had no athletic seam threat TE, or a consistent red zone target - They draft the best of the bunch in Gesicki. The back end of our secondary was an absolute mess, blown coverages, bad coverage, missed assignments etc. - they pick up Minkah and now all of that is solved. Our lbs were slow and none of them could cover - Baker solves that. These guys want to win now! They weren't trying to wait for some rookie QB to develope then not be able to fill another need in the process.

Back
Top Bottom