Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback?

our front office is not that good or smart..it almost time for change in Miami. i would like give adam this yr. to see where he is headed as well. i feel that ross must want thill17. as started in Miami...something is not adding up at qb. if you been in nfl for 7 yr. never played in playoff, probowl, mvp, or top 100 player or anything. and you still got job security with no competion at all...

Last edited:
Cote makes some good points and support others with selective reasoning. Many of the QBs he listed, started for the Phins due to injuries and were never meant to be franchise QBs, so that stat is misleading.
For the record I personally believe that Mayfield and Rosen have the best chances to be pretty good QBs.
Darnold doesn’t strike me as a quick thinking, sharp guy and I think he will be an average QB. Josh Allen while physically gifted doesn’t seem to have the intangibles to be consistently good, especially against smart, well coached defenses.
I have always stated that RT is not part of the problem, but also not the solution. I believe with a good supporting cast he can be as good or better than a Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles. However, he will never be able to put this team on his shoulders and will them to victory. I think that much is clear after watching him the last 6 yrs.
He has a good stable of running backs, WRs and TEs and now what looks to be a very solid O line. He has no excuses this season.
The national media thinks very little of him and that is why the phins are near the bottom of the power rankings. Don’t kid yourselves otherwise. For his sake, I hope he comes in to camp with a big chip on his shoulder and burning desire to shut his critics up.

How many QBs currently in the league can consistently put a team on his shoulders and will them to victory?

None. This isn't the NBA and there are no LeBron James's.

Can a few QBs do it more often than the rest? Yes.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers.

That's it. And none of them have been "willing their team" to Super Bowl victories.

As a matter of fact, one of those QBs (Brady) lost in the Super Bowl to a team with a lesser QB than Tannehill (the aforementioned Nick Foles).

This was the time to give Tannehill legitimate competition to prove he deserves to still be our guy. Like the Chiefs did to Alex Smith by drafting Mahomes. It made him play better and had he lifted a Super Bowl with them he would still be their quarterback.

We pretty much handed Tannehill the job and have never really pushed him. Moore was happy as a backup. So Tannehill has had it easy and once again he'll have it easy. I could understand it if he got us to the play offs as a rookie, but to date he's done nothing to warrant undisputed status on this roster.

Had Rosen fallen to us I'd have been tempted but probably would have still taken Fitzpatrick. However, I would have drafted Mason Rudolph when he was available in the third. He's someone who we could have picked and developed, and he sounds like someone that would have been fired up to prove he deserves to be a starter as well, and not just happy to hold a clipboard and work on his tan.
Ditto

How many QBs currently in the league can consistently put a team on his shoulders and will them to victory?

None. This isn't the NBA and there are no LeBron James's.

Can a few QBs do it more often than the rest? Yes.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers.

That's it. And none of them have been "willing their team" to Super Bowl victories.

As a matter of fact, one of those QBs (Brady) lost in the Super Bowl to a team with a lesser QB than Tannehill (the aforementioned Nick Foles).

People are judged by the body of their work. Brady has willed his team to victories numerous times so you cherry pick one game. Read my post in its entirety and in the proper context and stop being an absolutist.

We're not done turning over rocks and looking high and low for more talent that can help us. There will be plenty of DTs and QBs that aren't around yet.

People are judged by the body of their work. Brady has willed his team to victories numerous times so you cherry pick one game. Read my post in its entirety and in the proper context and stop being an absolutist.

I agree, but my point was that even the few elite QBs can't consistently will their teams to victory, even in the regular season.

Much less so in the postseason.

More than just Brees, Brady, and Rogers win games for their teams.

Rothlesburger
Garapolo
Wilson
Manning
And many more

I think it was a ruse. Otherwise, Miami was in a great position to move up a couple of spots to get a quarterback.

I do believe that the Dolphins had interest in Mayfield if he dropped a little bit.

More than just Brees, Brady, and Rogers win games for their teams.

Rothlesburger
Garapolo
Wilson
Manning
And many more

We're not talking about winning games for their teams. We're talking about consistently putting a team on his back and willing them to victory.

Roethlisberger probably comes closest on your list, but no.

And Garoppolo? Seriously?

213 sacks and 5th most sacked QB in the NFL since he got drafted despite missing all of 2017... Easy? LOL!
I know right. Dude deserves a statue for still being alive and not a broken down has been for playing behind a jr high line all these years. He has earned the right to prove himself. Now if he sucks this year he has to go.

It also is worth noting if Lamar Jackson has a great rookie campaign and we serve up a traditional 6-10 special, this front office is going to look extremely bad.

None of the writers who clamor for the QB care to mention the 1 in 50 odds of landing one that is any good. Greg Cote actually seems to promote the approach the Bills and Jets have taken over the last decade. JP Losman and Mark Sanchez baby! Yeah!

Sounds like a whiny child. Johnny got a new QB, I want one TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Yeah, it's a writer's crutch. They know the true football fans will read anything, and the casual fans are five times more likely (5x) to read an article about a QB than about something else. Since their editors are on their cases about how much traffic they are driving to advertisers through clicks ... they want them writing that drivel about QB's and controversy.

Glad we did not draft a QB and here is why. Gase its all about Gase. If you noticed my recent posts I was not a fan of the recent roster purge. Its water under the bridge but the way I looked at it was an excuse by Gase to blame last season on the players. A high round pick this year on a QB could very well turn into another excuse to keep Gase at the helm another 2 or 3 years when we need to move on. I look at it this way if RT stays healthy this year and we don't go at least 10 6 then Gase needs to hit the road. If he gets hurt again we should still finish at least 8 8. Why this is Gases team its his fault ir his glory. Sure a great QB makes a difference but a great coach makes a bigger differenc. Griese was not that great imo but Shula and our GM was back then, Shula won win a running game, a great defense and a great QB in Dan but it was Shula getting it done. Same with the Pats ehen Brady has gone down they keep winning into the post season. IMO RT will be rusty at best take about a qtr of the season to get his timing down and without established players like a Suh, Laundry and a Jay Ajayi players capable of taking over those early games we will start out with a loosing record and will be playing catchup all season while juggling a roster full of new players playing together. This season will be on the coach and if he fails likely a top 5 pick next year and hope there are some great QBs in next year's draft.

Back
Top Bottom