Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback?

Wow people really do seem to hate this QB and this coach. We will see what happens this year. When the team( Including the much hated Coach and QB) proves all the doubters wrong we can come back to all these posts.

Suh, Landry and Ajayi were so great that they helped the team to a losing record in 2017. Where were they at that time to take over games? Ajayi was awful in 2017 before he was traded. Maybe not having a competent QB behind center had something to do with that. Funny how on the same team with the same lousy QB Drake ,when he got his shot, out produced Ajayi.

Shula was a great coach. He had one of if not the greatest QBs of all time. Yet he could not win a Super Bowl with that QB. Shula, while great, was also hard headed and refused to make the necessary changes he needed to in the 80's and 90's. Such as hiring a GM after he wasted so many picks through the 80s. He also refused to replace a terrible Defensive Coordinator that had no clue how to consistently prepare for the top teams in the Conference especially the Bills. Can't take away from the Super Bowls that Shula won and all those wins but lets not pretend that he was perfect.

Nope. If an opportunity to draft a franchise changing QB presented itself, then I was good with it. Only liked Mayfield, Rosen, and to a much lesser extent -- Lauletta. I'd have spent #11 on either of the first two, but I wouldn't have drafted Lauleta before the 4th with how the board fell for us in rounds 1-3.

Do not want a backup QB with no experience unless he's in the plans to be a future franchise QB.

People keep saying how weak the QB class is in 2019, but there are a lot of guys who can change that by how they perform next season in: Lock, Stidham, Grier, Patterson, Herbert, Thorson, Fitzgerald, etc. Deep list of guys who can elevate themselves into first rounders. If Tannehill isn't a huge success in 2018, then we will likely grab one of these guys.

Last edited:
I don't like any of the options available to us if he goes down.

That includes any of the 4 overrated QBs that went before 11, and any of the marginal batch that went after.

It's Ryan or bust in 2018, regardless of whether we wasted any picks on a QB.

This guy makes sense. Every damn post.

Had we traded up and got whoever, guys would be screaming for Tbaums scalp and cursing how we once again pissed away picks that were desperately needed. Why didn’t we take Minkah and Gesicki!!!!????

Jesus guys. Tannehill is fine. Not Marino, but not too shabby. I don’t count last year since he didn’t have his knee fixed. Now it’s fixed. To be honest, I’m just as concerned with Raekwon. You know, same injury and all.

Or you can just keep screaming about how horrible we are. And then break out your Klecko jerseys.

More than just Brees, Brady, and Rogers win games for their teams.

Rothlesburger
Garapolo
Wilson
Manning
And many more

• Rothlesburger deserves to be in the very top of the next tier. He is very good and occasionally great.
  • Anointing Garapalo after a couple of games last year is just plain silly. Until he can do it for a season (or two), he's yet another one-hit-wonder.
  • Wilson is also clearly very good and belongs with Ben in the top of the next tier after the big 3. He is great when he has team talent around him that gives him the freedom to improvise out of the pocket.
  • I sincerely hope you were talking Payton (and not the Denver version of him) and not Eli. If you are referring to Eli, then you're nuts. He runs way too hot and cold.

No, there aren't any more. There are a fair number of QB's that peeked at just the right moment with a better than average supporting cast and have a ring. But other than your big 3, there aren't any that are consistently great and can cover for a major team weakness.

This guy makes sense. Every damn post.

Had we traded up and got whoever, guys would be screaming for Tbaums scalp and cursing how we once again pissed away picks that were desperately needed. Why didn’t we take Minkah and Gesicki!!!!????

Jesus guys. Tannehill is fine. Not Marino, but not too shabby. I don’t count last year since he didn’t have his knee fixed. Now it’s fixed. To be honest, I’m just as concerned with Raekwon. You know, same injury and all.

Or you can just keep screaming about how horrible we are. And then break out your Klecko jerseys.

Hey! You and my mom think I make sense! :D

to answer the thread title; no. clearly this franchise feels that entering his 7th season, we already have our developmental QB...

I’d like to have a young developmental qb. I don’t mean the Brandon Doughtys of the world. I was hoping for Lauletta or Falk.

I think "this" is precisely what many of us wanted (and HAVE wanted for many years...)

I didn't like this year's crop, either.

They created a smokescreen, now draftniks are upset we didn't get a developmental guy. Get over it, it was never in the cards.

A former 2nd round pick isn't completion but a third round pick would be? Where's the logic in that?

Osweiler has shown he's not a starter in this league. He's a backup and fill in like Matt Moore.

Mason Rudolph hasn't played in the league. So he could be the next Wilson or Prescott, or he could be another quarterback taken outside the first that never develops into anything more than a depth chart guy. The talent is there, he just needs to be well coached and given the opportunity.

For the record I personally believe that Mayfield and Rosen have the best chances to be pretty good QBs.
I do believe that same thing. Mayfield and Rosen are the two QBs from that draft that will have the best pro careers.

and a great QB in Dan but it was Shula getting it done.
Shula never won a ring with Marino at QB. Actually he made it to the Super Bowl just once.

Same with the Pats ehen Brady has gone down they keep winning into the post season.
This has never happened.

Osweiler has shown he's not a starter in this league. He's a backup and fill in like Matt Moore.

Mason Rudolph hasn't played in the league. So he could be the next Wilson or Prescott, or he could be another quarterback taken outside the first that never develops into anything more than a depth chart guy. The talent is there, he just needs to be well coached and given the opportunity.

When he was on a good team, Osweiler went 5-2 and helped them get to the playoffs where they won the SB.

When he was on a good team, Osweiler went 5-2 and helped them get to the playoffs where they won the SB.

Their elite defense carried that team. If I remember rightly his performances during that five game run included a few fairly lacklustre ones. He followed this up with unimpressive spell in Houston and a second spell in Denver. So Osweiler has shown he's not anything more than a backup and fill in as far as I'm concerned.

There are quarterbacks that can perform to an adequate level if supported by a strong defense and running game. The true test is when you have an average supporting cast, I don't see Osweiler as someone that can carry an average team on his back.

Their elite defense carried that team. If I remember rightly his performances during that five game run included a few fairly lacklustre ones. He followed this up with unimpressive spell in Houston and a second spell in Denver. So Osweiler has shown he's not anything more than a backup and fill in as far as I'm concerned.

There are quarterbacks that can perform to an adequate level if supported by a strong defense and running game. The true test is when you have an average supporting cast, I don't see Osweiler as someone that can carry an average team on his back.
Hopefully we won't have to find out.

I don't hate our QB or our coach I just want to see what we have in Gase as a coach. Yea Shula was perhaps hard headed but even hard headed he basically won the AFC almost every year and make it into the post season. Spiff I only implied he won with 3 completely different styles as Shula adapted his coaching to the strength of his teams instead of just drafting players to his style. Face it to last year Gase didn't attempt to win that game against Buffalo playing Fales when a Cutler or Moore would have given us a better shot to win that game. As far as the players I mentioned Laundry, Suh and Aljai all have taken over games for the Dolphins in the past not much left on the roster outside of Wake have done that and he has slowed down a bit. Yes Spiff Bill B wins into the playoffs with or without Tom Brady they may not go far but at least they are not sitting home like us.

Back
Top Bottom