Did the light go on for Harris last night? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the light go on for Harris last night?

So far, he's reminded me of Olivier Vernon as a pass rusher. He has pressured the QB pretty well, but obviously he isn't getting there. Not as good as Vernon against the run though.

Sons. I know you aren't a Tankersley fan but he looks very impressive

So I've heard. I like to make those judgments for myself but the All-22 view isn't available for preseason games so I am not able to at this time.

As someone who was high on him pre-draft, he has not impressed via the eye test since the pads came on. But the only thing that matters is how he performs going forward, now that the real bullets will be flying. He needs show significant production as a sub package edge rusher to justify a first round selection.

How anyone is OK with our #1 draft pick being a situational project is beyond me.

Oh, I'm not OK with it, I was against drafting a DE in the first round unless a miracle dropped into our laps. I felt I was pretty vocal against drafting these second tier pass rushers instead of an immediate full time starter at a needed position.

That said, it is what it is. Harris is a fin now and I can only be patient and hope he pans out down the road.

I think Harris will eventually be pretty good. He has to do a better job keeping the Lineman hands from getting inside of his pads until he gets stronger to where his swim move can knock the linemans hands off of him, OR he has to learn to time the swim move better to PREVENT the lineman's hands from getting on him in the first place. He has to learn to do a better job disguising his pass rush moves.... Always show the fastball in his case the outside speed rush, and adjust counter of of that. In one clip it looks like he made up his mind pre-snap that he was going to use the spin move and in the NFL that just will not work. He'll have to learn to be instinctive with his moves based on how the lineman reacts to the speed rush. Get up the field as fast as you can, lineman over compensates, BOOM spin move inside, Lineman doesn't get deep enough, BOOM bend and RIP around the edge. It'll come with time but the tools are there.

Sons. I know you aren't a Tankersley fan but he looks very impressive
He looks like he'll be ready to unseat Maxwell earlier than expected if he struggles. I liked him coming in, but thought he'd take a few years to develop. Very impressing preseason from Tank.

Several ways we could have gone in the draft. There is no telling about Raekwon at this point and no one could have predicted IR for him. Looking back we had a shot at several other players in rounds 1 and 2 and IF you can make a judgement based on the PS, we may have been better off going with....

22 Reuben Foster
54 Jordan Willis (could have also traded down 18 or so spots and still get him)
97 I really don't see many players I would have taken over Tankersley at this spot. Maybe DT, Jaleel Johnson.

That works if you want to end up with a pass rusher and a LB as we did in the first two rounds. Foster is looking pretty darn good in SF but he is also undersized (6'0 229) and playing weak side in a 4-3 under defense.

Otherwise, it would be....

22 Tak McKinley
54 Dalvin Tomlinson

You could also add Evan Engram as another guy who's looked good in the PS. TJ Watt as well.

I had my reservations about Charles Harris prior to the draft because you just don't see very many good pass rushers who tested the way he did in Indy. I probably would have leaned toward Tak at that point. I did hop on the hype train for Harris in camp but that was more out of hope than anything else. We'll see how it plays out but guys with 4.8 speed rarely become elite pass rushers. There are exceptions of course.

It's over once linemen get their hands on him. He won't be able to effectively do anything unless he learns how to use his hands better. That pick continues to baffle me.

Back
Top Bottom