Did the research on this post from Fansided. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the research on this post from Fansided.

Not to beat a dead horse but, just because a head coach goes .500 in his first three seasons, doesn't mean he will be mediocre forever. Bill Bellichick went 25-23 his first three seasons as the Patriots HC. Jason Garrett went 24-24 his first three full seasons as the Cowboys HC. Sean Payton: 25-23. Pete Carroll's first three seasons with the Seahawks: 25-23. Have some perspective about football history and try to understand that you can't just clean house and expect to find a championship GM, HC, OC, DC, and QB in an offseason. Championship winning teams are built through consistency in both vision and execution. It makes me sad that it seems like all these "Dolfans" want the team to fail so they can watch them try to rebuild the team all over again. <------- This is all correct.

Belichick won a SB his 2nd year in NE
Garrett hasn't done anything
Payton was in a championship game his 2nd season
Carroll was in the playoffs 2 of his first 3 seasons and won playoff games

you're response is a complete failure man.

ohpleasetellmemore-1.jpg

(BTW, I like how you cleverly used that contraction for emphasis.)

For me it's just the failings at the end of games we should win. Green Bay, Detroit and Denver were all there for the taking and we just crumble. Although the players have to take their fair share of the blame it does come to coaching to right a ship when it begins to lean and he has shown little ability to step up to the challenge.

This is why Philbin must go. Miami has a problem finishing games because Philbin plays not to lose instead of playing to win. This team has lost numerous games where they had the lead late in the game. Yes, players must execute, but when those same players are dominating an opponent for 50 minutes and then all of a sudden the opponent pulls out the win in the final minutes this tells me that a change in playcalling or schemes caused the loss. Under Philbin, Miami has a history of not being able to hold a lead because their offense turns conservative and their defense goes prevent. This is all on Philbin, and I highly doubt that he's going to change his philosophy. I understand the OP's point of good Head Coaches starting out with poor records, but I don't think that Philbin is going to turn into a winning HC. Winning Coaches have their team playing better as the season goes on, while Miami consistently gets worse.

Penthos:

Direct quote from the OP:

Bill Bellichick went 25-23 his first three seasons as the Patriots HC. Jason Garrett went 24-24 his first three full seasons as the Cowboys HC. Sean Payton: 25-23. Pete Carroll's first three seasons with the Seahawks: 25-23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I went to sleep last night after my last post...

You are correct, the poster was comparing Philbin with BB and PC's first years with their current teams. I totally misread what he wrote because I assumed he was making the argument I have already made myself in other threads. Unfortunately, I wound up being proof of adage about assuming and making an ass of myself.

It was a big mistake on my part and I feel terrible about it. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt and at least re-read more the OP more carefully. My carelessness led to me being unreasonably be rude to you. And while we disagree on what is "known" or "unknown" about Philbin's potential success with the Dolphins in the future, I apologize for my behavior in this thread. I was mistaken and out of line and hope that you will accept my apology.

Sorry, I went to sleep last night after my last post...

You are correct, the poster was comparing Philbin with BB and PC's first years with their current teams. I totally misread what he wrote because I assumed he was making the argument I have already made myself in other threads. Unfortunately, I wound up being proof of adage about assuming and making an ass of myself.

It was a big mistake on my part and I feel terrible about it. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt and at least re-read more the OP more carefully. My carelessness led to me being unreasonably be rude to you. And while we disagree on what is "known" or "unknown" about Philbin's potential success with the Dolphins in the future, I apologize for my behavior in this thread. I was mistaken and out of line and hope that you will accept my apology.

No worries man, it's just a messageboard. :)

A coach's success is largely tied to his quarterback. If he has a failure at QB, by all means, he's going to fail as a coach over time.

A coach's success is largely tied to his quarterback. If he has a failure at QB, by all means, he's going to fail as a coach over time.

Marvin Lewis (who isn't even a great HC) made multiple playoffs with a QB with worse production than Tannehill, what is Philby's excuse?

Marvin Lewis (who isn't even a great HC) made multiple playoffs with a QB with worse production than Tannehill, what is Philby's excuse?

2003 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
2004 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
2007 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2008 4 11 1 .281 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild Card Game.
2010 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC North - - -

2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
2013 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Wild Card Game.
2014 10 5 1 .656 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Wild Card Game.

Marvin Lewis had 2 winning seasons in his first 8 but has since posted 5 consecutive winning seasons. He's kind of the poster boy for having success after initially failing. Andy Dalton is definitely not as good as Tannehill. But they have AJ Green who is way better than any receiver Tannehill has ever had and the CIN defense has been as good or better than ours.

But those were NOT their FIRST teams as HCs. Don't dismiss this thread because it doesn't fit your narrative. The OP is absolutely right. BOTH coaches in the Super Bowl would have been considered complete and absolute FAILURES in their first attempts at HC by your standards and you know it. You would have fired them both and you would have been dead wrong.

What do we care about Philbin reaching the playoffs with a second team? We want him to reach it with this team...

2003 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
2004 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
2007 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2008 4 11 1 .281 3rd in AFC North - - - -
2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild Card Game.
2010 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC North - - -

2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
2013 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Wild Card Game.
2014 10 5 1 .656 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Wild Card Game.

Marvin Lewis had 2 winning seasons in his first 8 but has since posted 5 consecutive winning seasons. He's kind of the poster boy for having success after initially failing. Andy Dalton is definitely not as good as Tannehill. But they have AJ Green who is way better than any receiver Tannehill has ever had and the CIN defense has been as good or better than ours.

Marvin has only had three losing seasons. I remember when he went to Cincy, most announcers said if he could go .500 there, he should be coach of the year.

Marvin has only had three losing seasons. I remember when he went to Cincy, most announcers said if he could go .500 there, he should be coach of the year.

he hasn't done a good job in postseason but Cincy was pathetic before he got there and now they are good.

What do we care about Philbin reaching the playoffs with a second team? We want him to reach it with this team...

I agree, that's exactly what we want. I still think it's possible. Others do not. I do not believe that a coach has to be fired in order to improve.

he hasn't done a good job in postseason but Cincy was pathetic before he got there and now they are good.

I've lived here for 25 years and before Lewis came here the Bengals sucked. I don't see the hate he and Dalton get. they changed around a franchise to where they sell out games and are relevant.

I agree, that's exactly what we want. I still think it's possible. Others do not. I do not believe that a coach has to be fired in order to improve.

I agree with what you said, but IMO Phailbin hasnt shown anything that tells us he is improving as a HC. Noone can doubt that RT has shown visible improvement but where is Phailbins improvement? He hasnt shown us any visible improvement. He still makes the exact same mistakes he did when he was a rookie HC

Back
Top Bottom