Did the research on this post from Fansided. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the research on this post from Fansided.

I agree with what you said, but IMO Phailbin hasnt shown anything that tells us he is improving as a HC. Noone can doubt that RT has shown visible improvement but where is Phailbins improvement? He hasnt shown us any visible improvement. He still makes the exact same mistakes he did when he was a rookie HC

I think he made some improvements in clock management towards the end of the year. I also think he made a smart move by hiring Lazor, which led to progression from RT and the offense (4K yards, 27tds 12ints). Can you really say RT's improvement had nothing to do with Philbin? IMO Philbin's biggest issues were injuries combined with a lack of depth which (again IMO) was what kept us out of the playoffs. And while Philbin is certainly not blameless in that, he is not the personnel guy.

I'm not a Philbin homer. I don't believe OR disbelieve in him. In fact, I wouldn't have minded replacing him with Harbaugh or even Marrone, but other than that, there was no-one else I thought was worth firing Philbin for.

I agree, that's exactly what we want. I still think it's possible. Others do not. I do not believe that a coach has to be fired in order to improve.

I think sometimes changing teams is the primary reason for success. Some coaches make mistakes the first time around that are nearly impossible to recover from on their current team. I think this is especially true of former coordinators who don't realize they cannot have that buddy-buddy relationship with your players as a head coach. I think Rex Ryan fell into that when he took over the Jets. And while it may have paid off for him initially, there was a precipitous drop-off when the honeymoon period ended. It's a difficult transition to go from being someone's "pal" one year and then taking on a more disciplined persona the next. Many players won't take the change seriously and the results can be fairly disastrous.

Moving on to a new team gives that coach a chance to correct the initial mistakes that he might have made the first time around without the lingering effects. In essence, they get to hit the reset button on themselves.

I think he made some improvements in clock management towards the end of the year. I also think he made a smart move by hiring Lazor....

I don't think clock management got any better at all. And the Lazor move was forced upon him. He's didn't want to fire Sherman.

Didnt investigate that part. But there still a 500 team 1st 3 years. Philbin gunna take us to the Super Bowl baby. 2 years... Book it

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Looks they had a good team
Philbin had a rookie QB and no running backs or receivers

is he buying the team tickets?

Didnt investigate that part. But there still a 500 team 1st 3 years. Philbin gunna take us to the Super Bowl baby. 2 years... Book it

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Looks they had a good team
Philbin had a rookie QB and no running backs or receivers

He better start buying tickets now. No way in hell he will ever coach his way there.

What do we care about Philbin reaching the playoffs with a second team? We want him to reach it with this team...

Speak for yourself. Philbin taking us to the playoffs next year would be the worst thing that could happen to this team. When you have a coach that coaches not to lose, and is clueless at what it takes to make game winning decisions, you have zero shot at succeeding in the playoffs. If the team some how found a way to win enough games in spite of him to make it to the playoffs it would mean waiting another 3 years for Ross to finally figure out what the rest of us figured out two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom