Did we make a mistake swapping 1st round picks with 49s ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did we make a mistake swapping 1st round picks with 49s ?

Grier got QB trade value by the draft chart moving down to 12, good move if we aren't drafting a QB ourselves.

Then Grier paid QB trade value to go back up to 6 for a non-QB.

If Miami hadn't traded back up to six and with Philly apparently looking to draft one of either Bama WR's; at 12, Waddle or Smith eventually would have been there, especially with the way the board fell.

At 12 Miami had the choice of Smith, Parsons and Slater. All of whom are playing very well for their respective teams. Slater has outperformed almost every LT taken in the draft. Making the trade up to 6 for even more perplexing. Especially in light of Miami's offensive line performance so far this year.

Now add in the loss of Miami's own #1 pick, making this trade imo ludicrous. Up to that point I was happy with Grier. Now I'm not so sure? Jackson appears to be in over his head at LT. The signs were there towards the end of last season. But Miami choose to ignore them, inspite of drafting Eichenberg, in round two of this year.

I'm just not convinced Miami will turn it around in large part due to what appears to be chaos along the offensive line. Especially with Tua now hurt.
I wasn't real happy with that Philly trade. Kept hearing playing with house money, but the bottom line is Miami used two first round picks to get Waddle. Again, Waddle may prove worth it. Hard to say who would have been available at #12, other than players who actually were.

The offensive line looks like a mess. I think all of us fans expected the unit to progress but that hasn't been the case yet.

The one thing that's keeping me from hitting that panic button is the schedule so far. Doesn't get much tougher for an offensive line than New England and Buffalo.

That said, I'm especially concerned about Jackson right now. If we suddenly see Eichenberg at LT and Jackson at guard, we'll know that's a last chance for him.

Last edited:
We didn't swap picks with the niners, but yes, we made a mistake giving the iggles our first round pick rather than theirs. I've lamented that move since it happened.

The price for trading back up with Philly was too high, but I cannot fault Grier for betting on Miami to do better than SF.
That’s certainly debatable…the Niners were an injured team last year but we’re NFC champions the year before when healthy.

too early.. they beat the Lions and Eagles those aren't really good teams , but we will know more in the next 3 weeks when they play the Packers, Cardinals and Seahawks...

That’s certainly debatable…the Niners were an injured team last year but we’re NFC champions the year before when healthy.
Feel free to debate it with someone else, not with me. I have absolutely “NO” problem with Grier backing the Miami Dolphins.

That he traded two 1st round picks and a 4th in exchange for moving up from 12 to 6, and a 5th round pick is a different story.

It was a mistake to leave ourselves open to losing that amount of value knowing we're still in a rebuild phase. Although with Grier's 1st round drafting record it's a bit of a lottery anyway. You'd take Hunt over Jackson and Holland over Igbo as things stand so it might not be bad for us - through luck not judgement.

I understand Grier thinking about getting lot of draft pick because we all know all of them ain't going workout...

Season is not over yet but we got get at leased one good free agent ot..

Pick number wise Yes but if Waddle is a Star then NO

I am 100% convinced that the 49er’s will finish with a better record than the Dolphins unless they are hit with the injury bug like they were last year. The 49er’s were a SB team two years ago and the reason they were a bad team last year was because of all the injuries they had to their best players last season.

I believe the 49er’s will win 12-14 games and end up playing the Bucs in the NFC championship game. The Eagles were very aware of how good the 49er’s could be once they got their players back from injury. That is why they wanted the Dolphins first round pick in the trade and not the 49er’s pick.

I don’t think the Eagles would have made the trade to move out of the 6th pick in the draft if the Dolphins had offered them the 49er’s pick instead of their own pick.

100% this. When the trade happened I remember reading so many times “my favorite part of the trade is that Grier is that confident our record will be better than the 49ers that’s why we traded their pick”… except it was the wrong take - no one wanted 49ers pick over ours… They wanted the Fins pick because it was a way higher shot we were gonna be bad than them. Thought that was obvious.

No. We did the right thing.

You ALWAYS, when given the choice, bet on yourself. Always.

Even if it does not pan out our way, the choice was the right one. It shows balls.
Just a thought - could it be possible the Eagles demanded our pick over the 49ers? Why is it widely assumed the Dolphins only offered their own?

When you think about how much we gave up, it doesn’t exactly seem like we set the rules with that trade, is that fair to say? I’m betting the Eagles also made sure it was our pick they got.

Back
Top Bottom