Differences In Rosen And Tannenhill? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Differences In Rosen And Tannenhill?

Exactly...take Andrew Luck as a great example. He's a good QB that completely overcame bad lines. Why, he'll have another decade of a potential HoF career where his skills made the oline quality completely irrelevant. He just wills..oh, what?!!?!?!?
are we laughably pretending Luck didn't overcome his line and take his teams far in the playoffs despite that just because he got injured and retired? okay....

are we laughably pretending Luck didn't overcome his line and take his teams far in the playoffs despite that just because he got injured and retired? okay....

I'll just say that football is the ultimate team sport. QB is the most important position on the field, but time and time again there are examples that it takes more than a QB to have sustained winning.

It's relevant to this thread because the one thing in common that Tannehill and Rosen will likely have is a sub par Oline. And I don't subscribe to a narrative that all it takes is a good QB to make that fact irrelevant.

Can't "completely" disagree. Tannehill does his offensive line no favors. Obviously the talent level at guard was some of the worst in the league during his time here but he usually had good bookend tackles and a good C.

I was watching him last night and not much has changed. When the pocket is clean he is accurate and throws a good ball . . . .but in today's game where teams pass like 75% of the time, the pocket is becoming less of a "clean" thing and you need QBs who can feel out pressure and improvise . . . .and Ryan Tannehill just does not do that well and teams know this and are gonna force more pressure until he show he can deal with it consistently.

2016 he showed improvement in this area and combined with a softer schedule we won 7 out of 8 games. The one physical team in that stretch, Baltimore, dismantled us 38-7.

That is not a coincidence.

That is exactly the point with regard to any QB especially Tannehill(A clean pocket). What should a coach do with a QB who is mechanical in his reads and progressions? Should they be putting 5 players out in the pattern play after play?

Of course not and this is my point with him, the coaching was not even high school level. Work with the skill set of the players you have, Tannehill if protected is functional which is a hell of alot more than a number of QBs who will start this year.

Regarding the talent on OL, well i'm hard pressed to accept any of them as functional (Pouncey, strangely it seems the pass protection was better without him in the lineup), I was also curious as to whether his line calls were a big part of the problem, but again I have trouble judging due to the incompetence of the coaching staff.

Yea I don't place full blame on him. It was a combined effort of having a below average OLine, overall a below average offensive coaching staff and a QB who was below average at the intricacies that separate the average/good from the great.

I remember those heated arguments that "If Tannehill was on the Seahawks" and how he was better than Russell Wilson threads . . . . People are kidding themselves if they believe that running game/defense was gonna protect him in becoming some Super Bowl winning QB.

They go 8-8 max. Their Oline was worse than ours in pass protection.
Didn’t the Seahawks have a great running game that year also.

I hope Tannehill is a pro bowler when he steps in for the titans so it forces our stupid GM and bad coaches to look inward toward their own ineptitude to fixing the line. Rosen can be decent in this league. His physical skill set is way below Tannehills. His strength was supposed to be his "NFL readiness", which won't develop if he's playing from his back and getting smashed in the mouth.

Chris Grier is going to keep getting a pass until Dumbo croaks, so I can't say I'm rooting for any former Dolphins to have success as some sort of instructive lesson for ownership concerning past management and coaching failures. If anything, it's just a kick in the nuts for the fans.

I mean that was a hell of a pass. Don’t even have to single out Rosen on that one . . . Pull the best throw ever from all the QBs in the league, and that one will be in the top 5.
check this one out by Vernon Adams JR from last night in the CFL...

Last edited:

He didn't get the sprained shoulder, lacerated kidney, torn abdominal muscle, torn cartilage, concussion and torn labrum walking his doggie. It's a team sport. Andrew Luck didn't reach his full potential because his line sucked for most of his career, and the injuries because of that...ended it.

Are we laughably pretending that the Dolphins O-Line problems didn't affect Tannehill's career, too?

He didn't get the sprained shoulder, lacerated kidney, torn abdominal muscle, torn cartilage, concussion and torn labrum walking his doggie. It's a team sport. Andrew Luck didn't reach his full potential because his line sucked for most of his career, and the injuries because of that...ended it.

Are we laughably pretending that the Dolphins O-Line problems didn't affect Tannehill's career, too?

Luck also had some similar issues as Tanny of not protecting himself whether throwing the ball away or sliding. Yes his OL was awful too and he was not protected but some injuries were avoidable too.

Now also keep in mind I am not putting injuries on the player. But some of the best QBs of all time do make business decisions

That being said there is a huge difference between a healthy Andrew Luck and a healthy Ryan Tannehill.

Luck also had some similar issues as Tanny of not protecting himself whether throwing the ball away or sliding. Yes his OL was awful too and he was not protected but some injuries were avoidable too.

Now also keep in mind I am not putting injuries on the player. But some of the best QBs of all time do make business decisions

That being said there is a huge difference between a healthy Andrew Luck and a healthy Ryan Tannehill.
It’s been the better part of three years since either of them were healthy

Make no mistake, Tannehill can throw the ball.

Too early to say but as to Rosen vs. Tannehill......well I see it a bit like Cutler vs Flutie/McMahon.

Some guys give you the impression that they feel like "I did my job, and I covered my ass, so don't blame me for the results" and some guys are more like "if I'm not part of the solution I'm part of the problem and I'm darn sure not going to be the problem one here so pick it up you Divas because I'm doing my best superman impression out here".

Please stop with the GPA and major BS. I got so sick of hearing about how Tannehill was a “pre-med” with a 4.0 gpa.

Yes, QBs need a certain baseline level of intelligence in order to learn playbooks and process situational information quickly, but most of that isn’t captured by a GPA and not even fully by an IQ score or Wonderlic.

A lot of it falls under the umbrella of emotional intelligence, or EQ, and it has just as much to do with a person’s success in many fields as IQ.

You want a smart QB?? Here is YOUR guy.......https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Herbert-gets-academic-honor-for-406-GPA-503828581.html

I think a biology major with a 4.06 GPA might be the new challenger to Ryan Fitzpatrick's, smartest player in the NFL, title.

..and...
images
Never a doubt in my mind.

This is bullshit. Don’t confuse me being on the opposite sides, many times, on whether to keep Tannehill or not . . . .vs. me hating him.

I grew tired of seeing half assed non attempts at infusing more talent at the QB position and rolling with a guy who didn’t have the pocket presence or improvisional instincts to lead this team to big things.

I just bigged Ryan up earlier in this thread in regards to a throw he made in 2016 and there are several threads I have made in the past “bigging up” Tannehill while there are ZERO threads that I have created that bashed him.

So cut the crap.

He hasn't moved on from RT yet. He is at that stage where a guy got dumped but has not really processed that it is over.

Back
Top Bottom