Differences In Rosen And Tannenhill? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Differences In Rosen And Tannenhill?

I’m gonna lump everything we’ve seen over the past few years into my observation. It took me about 1 preseason game to see Jay Cutler was better than Ryan Tannehill at working he pocket. Problem was when he evaded the rush he seemed to always make an inaccurate throw that would grenade the play anyway. When Tannehill bought time, even though he wasn’t as good at it, he would make the thowa at a much higher clip. You also had a higher probability of executing the play without pressure with Ryan vs Jay.

Matt Moore was also better at working the pocket than Ryan, but not as good as Jay, and made quite a few plays when things went off script. His biggest issue was consistently executing the play when things didn’t break down and rag tag arm strength. Again Tannehill’s stronger arm and ability to execute a good play was superior to Moore’s. Moore, like Cutler, was also prone for bonehead throws. IMO, while there are some Ryan was better than both on this regard.

Fitz and Rosen are again better at working the pocket than Ryan was. It’s easy to see. Fitz’ lack of arm strength and gunslinger mentality has and will get him into trouble here. He’s also just flat out not consistently accurate which is why he’s so streaky. Overall I’d say Tannehill is a more consistent QB. Rosen has actually looked better than I thought at evading pressure. I’ve heard him described as a QB you have to protect so I sort of pictured a game similar to Tannehill’s. That really hasn’t been the case. He’s also been pretty accurate when he does evade the rush. I like what I see there. With him right now it’s bonehead throws. He’s made one in each preseason game. He needs to clean that up. Ryan was making bonehead throws at a much lower clip than one per game. I like his potential more than I thought I would. If the game slows down for him who knows.

Brock suck and isn’t worth mentioning. He was better at throwing the ball away and taking check downs than the other guys.

I’m gonna lump everything we’ve seen over the past few years into my observation. It took me about 1 preseason game to see Jay Cutler was better than Ryan Tannehill at working he pocket. Problem was when he evaded the rush he seemed to always make an inaccurate throw that would grenade the play anyway. When Tannehill bought time, even though he wasn’t as good at it, he would make the thowa at a much higher clip. You also had a higher probability of executing the play without pressure with Ryan vs Jay.

Matt Moore was also better at working the pocket than Ryan, but not as good as Jay, and made quite a few plays when things went off script. His biggest issue was consistently executing the play when things didn’t break down and rag tag arm strength. Again Tannehill’s stronger arm and ability to execute a good play was superior to Moore’s. Moore, like Cutler, was also prone for bonehead throws. IMO, while there are some Ryan was better than both on this regard.

Fitz and Rosen are again better at working the pocket than Ryan was. It’s easy to see. Fitz’ lack of arm strength and gunslinger mentality has and will get him into trouble here. He’s also just flat out not consistently accurate which is why he’s so streaky. Overall I’d say Tannehill is a more consistent QB. Rosen has actually looked better than I thought at evading pressure. I’ve heard him described as a QB you have to protect so I sort of pictured a game similar to Tannehill’s. That really hasn’t been the case. He’s also been pretty accurate when he does evade the rush. I like what I see there. With him right now it’s bonehead throws. He’s made one in each preseason game. He needs to clean that up. Ryan was making bonehead throws at a much lower clip than one per game. I like his potential more than I thought I would. If the game slows down for him who knows.

Brock suck and isn’t worth mentioning. He was better at throwing the ball away and taking check downs than the other guys.

I think with rosen when it comes to pocket play you have to worry about contact getting in his head and effecting his willingness to stand in to make a play primary.

Is he gonna bail out?

Hard repeated contact catches up with just about everybody but I get a feel with him tbat at some point self preservation may rule the day

Start Rosen for sure. As really Fins are trying to seek him out to be a franchise proof.

I think with rosen when it comes to pocket play you have to worry about contact getting in his head and effecting his willingness to stand in to make a play primary.

Is he gonna bail out?

Hard repeated contact catches up with just about everybody but I get a feel with him tbat at some point self preservation may rule the day

I think that's natural with any reasonably intelligent ball player. Especially QB. If you can't live for the next down
you're useless. But I get your point (I think) that Rosen may not be the tuffest SOB to ever play QB. In that's correct
then fair enough. But you have to like his relative elusiveness (esp feet responding to his sense of pressure) in the
pocket and then -- makes his move yet keeps his eyes down field and ---- I think the kid throws a better ball on the move!

That said -- still way too early to get a solid (and certainly not definitive) read on what he really can be as a PRO.

But I do think he's in a much better situation that he was subjected as a rookie.

>>> Of course the OL nag is a bummer >>> but I think otherwise Rosen landed in a really good spot.

Hope so.

Nobody ever asked Rosen to run routes and catch the ball, not a converted receiver. He is a true quarterback and has excelled at every level (keep in mind he is twenty-two years old) and shown his pocket presence, downfield vision, gambler mentality and his ceiling is unknown. Tannehill is at his ceiling and it was determined (accurately four years ago at least) that what you see is what you get, never taking that “next step” you are looking for in a guy who hasn’t yet.

Nobody ever asked Rosen to run routes and catch the ball, not a converted receiver. He is a true quarterback and has excelled at every level (keep in mind he is twenty-two years old) and shown his pocket presence, downfield vision, gambler mentality and his ceiling is unknown. Tannehill is at his ceiling and it was determined (accurately four years ago at least) that what you see is what you get, never taking that “next step” you are looking for in a guy who hasn’t yet.

So when this batch of QBs averages under 20 points a game behind this line will you say the same thing abut Rosen?

Difference:

- Josh Rosen plays for the Miami Dolphins. I root for him. I hope he starts 16 games and puts together a nice season.
- Ryan Tannehill plays for the Tennessee Titans. I hope he throws 96 interceptions when he steps in for Mariota.

With that said, my prediction is that Ryan Tannehill will be fine with the Titans, who have a competent offensive line and may run a functional offense that can pass protect some. Josh Rosen will struggle badly this season with this garbage fire that's trying to accumulate draft capital rather than win football games.

Difference:

- Josh Rosen plays for the Miami Dolphins. I root for him. I hope he starts 16 games and puts together a nice season.
- Ryan Tannehill plays for the Tennessee Titans. I hope he throws 96 interceptions when he steps in for Mariota.

With that said, my prediction is that Ryan Tannehill will be fine with the Titans, who have a competent offensive line and may run a functional offense that can pass protect some. Josh Rosen will struggle badly this season with this garbage fire that's trying to accumulate draft capital rather than win football games.

I hope Tannehill is a pro bowler when he steps in for the titans so it forces our stupid GM and bad coaches to look inward toward their own ineptitude to fixing the line. Rosen can be decent in this league. His physical skill set is way below Tannehills. His strength was supposed to be his "NFL readiness", which won't develop if he's playing from his back and getting smashed in the mouth.

Simple.

One got the David Carr treatment, one hasn't yet.

I still think Tannehill with the proper coaching and OL could have been a productive QB.

Simple.

One got the David Carr treatment, one hasn't yet.

I still think Tannehill with the proper coaching and OL could have been a productive QB.

He was a productive QB when he had a quality supporting cast. There was that short stretch under Gase where the OLine and receivers were healthy and Tannehill looked like a solid second tier QB. Hes never going to be up there with the elite but he could win you games.

To me the primary difference between the two is that one looks like a quarterback and the other doesn't. Tannehill always looked like a wide receiver playing QB....granted a supremely talented one with all the refined mechanics you could ask for. For whatever reason he was never able to pick up the feel of the pocket and process what was in his immediate vicinity along with what was down the field. Rosen can and that opens up so much more for him.

The part for me that's so hard to judge is the QBs ability to make the pre-snap read and communicate with his receivers. Its hard to know if Tannehill struggled with that or never had the receivers that were capable of making those adjustments in real time or never had the coaches that allowed it to happen. You know Flores wants his QB to have that ability so we'll see soon enough if Rosen is capable.

David Carr had a bad line. Tannehill made his line look terrible. There is a difference.

Sometimes yes. The OL Ryan's 2nd and 3rd year in the league were as bad as they got. There were also moments throughout where the OL still looked awful. Now last year more than any other year I thought it was coaching related rather than talent (way too many unblocked guys which means that the OL did not know their assignments).

That being said, even as a fan of Tannehill, if you go back and look there were times he did not help the OL out. The one play that sticks out is against Buffalo where Brice Butler won right away and if Tanny did a quick throw Brice may have scored an 80 plus yard TD. But Tanny held the ball long enough for the DB to recover and then nobody was open.

Now let's be clear, outside of his rookie year with Jake and Jerry still on the OL Tanny never had a good OL. And there were a lot of hits over the year that were just players getting beat. But if we go back and look there are also a lot of plays where Tanny did not help the players.

If I had to break down the OL I'd say in Philbin's 4 years the OL issues were talent related. In Gase's 3 years it was more coaching related

Back
Top Bottom