Dillon traded to Patriots: Does this really affect us? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dillon traded to Patriots: Does this really affect us?

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1785718

If you haven't heard yet, Corey Dillon just became a Patriot.

..............Obviously it's a step up from Smith and Faulk. This one has draft positioning all over it man. C'mon it doesn't take a genious to see that Dillon is not a BB/Pioli style player, specifically from a loud-mouth stand point. Just the fact that Rudi Johnson took his job in one year shows me where this guy is headed. I'm not going to take credit away from some of his on-field accomplishments (i.e. former holder of the single game rushing record), but it just goes to show you how badly this guy fluctuates mentally. People can't give me that "but he played on the Bungles" crap either. That franchise, with Marvin Lewis, is on the up an up so just be honest with that.

Don't fear Fins. If he stays in NE, he's a one-dimensional back. But like I said, he might not be there for very long. Watch to see if there are any press conferences before the draft or the comments made following the trade by Dillon. You'll tell right away whether he's staying or going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a good move on New England's part unfortunately. Dillon is a talented back who needed a change of scenary, what could be better than going to the team that just won a championship and is returning with most of their key players in tact. I think if he stays, all he does is shore up a question mark of New England's and allows them to use their other 317 draft picks on depth and potential other holes they may have.

I don't see him being traded again but if he was, I somehow wouldn't be surprised if New England ended up with another first and second for him while only giving up our second originally. BB is crafty like that.

I believe this is good news for the AFC East. I don't think this moves makes NE any stronger and could possibly make them weaker. Dillon is a good RB but overrated, when Antowain Smith is motivated and playing well(and he was in '01 and down the stretch in '03) he is every bit as good. Dillon is also the anti-Pat, they have stayed away from malcontents and locker room cancers and now they acquire a guy whose upside is not worth what the downside may be. The dolphins got a guy like that in david Bsoton but Boston's ceiling is that of a top 5 WR so it was wise to take the risk, I don; think Dillon is worth the risk. I feel good today as a Jet fan that the Pats might be worse today than they were yesterday.

jets fan, you are definitely mistaken. Our only hope is that he messes up their lockerroom... The guy can flat out run and had he been on say a dallas like team during the emmitt smith years, hed be one of the all time greats, no doubt about it. The pats are by no means worse, he brings a running attack that they never had, and still have kevin faulk as a dangerous pass catcher on third downs. AND they got im for a draft pick in the late second round who could be a crap shoot, not good news.

nyjunc said:
I believe this is good news for the AFC East. I don't think this moves makes NE any stronger and could possibly make them weaker. Dillon is a good RB but overrated, when Antowain Smith is motivated and playing well(and he was in '01 and down the stretch in '03) he is every bit as good. Dillon is also the anti-Pat, they have stayed away from malcontents and locker room cancers and now they acquire a guy whose upside is not worth what the downside may be. The dolphins got a guy like that in david Bsoton but Boston's ceiling is that of a top 5 WR so it was wise to take the risk, I don; think Dillon is worth the risk. I feel good today as a Jet fan that the Pats might be worse today than they were yesterday.

I don't feel as though he fits their style of play either. Since when is NE a smashmouth football team? That's the type of team Dillon flourishes under. Strictly power runner. He might be able to grind out some 3rd and 1's, but he's too one-dimensional for my tastes.

one dimensional? maybe, but it's a dimension the pats didnt have... thats like saying david boston doesnt fit our system because we run the ball, when in actuality, he adds a new dimension for us

They used OUR pick too to get him... so if Dillon turns out to shred us up next year, it's our own fault.

Dillon had a crappy season last year, but if the Pats wanted a 1000 yd RB, they got one. He's good, but won't be able to handle the whole load like Ricky does. This guy is good for about 300 rushes a year and no more.

Still scary though because they now have a RB, plus two 1sts and ANOTHER 2nd :(

Dolphins17-0 said:
one dimensional? maybe, but it's a dimension the pats didnt have... thats like saying david boston doesnt fit our system because we run the ball, when in actuality, he adds a new dimension for us

Eh, I hear what you're saying, but it's a tad bit different. Their O-line is a finesse line. Their offensive strength existed in it's ability to finesse and provide great pass protection for Brady to pick apart D's with his accurate short game.

It's in my opinion that they don't have the lineman it would take to take advantage of his north-south running style. The similarity though rest in can their O-line make that adjustment just like everyone's saying can AJ Feeley or Fiedler get Boston the ball?

Dolphins17-0 said:
jets fan, you are definitely mistaken. Our only hope is that he messes up their lockerroom... The guy can flat out run and had he been on say a dallas like team during the emmitt smith years, hed be one of the all time greats, no doubt about it. The pats are by no means worse, he brings a running attack that they never had, and still have kevin faulk as a dangerous pass catcher on third downs. AND they got im for a draft pick in the late second round who could be a crap shoot, not good news.

But he wasn't on dal in his prime and he will be 30 in October. I am stunned the Pats would make a move like this and as an opposing fan I am very happy they did.

nyjunc said:
But he wasn't on dal in his prime and he will be 30 in October. I am stunned the Pats would make a move like this and as an opposing fan I am very happy they did.

you just said earlier that antowain smith was every bit as good as dillon.
you can't honestly believe that, and i am shocked you are happy that the pats just upgraded one of their few weaknesses, like i said, if he runs like hes capable of, and he doesnt mess up the pats locker room, then the afc east is in trouble. Hopefully his age, attitude, and nagging injuries will cause problems all year for the pats.

nyjunc said:

Bear in mind that now the Patriots are over the salary cap. How are they going to sign all those friggin' draft picks????? I'm telling you guys, Dillon is trade bait for Saturday.

enigmatics said:
Bear in mind that now the Patriots are over the salary cap. How are they going to sign all those friggin' draft picks????? I'm telling you guys, Dillon is trade bait for Saturday.

im not sure of their salary cap situation, but regardless, on draft day, dillon will be worth more than the 2nd round pick they gave up, so basically, no matter what happens with this deal in the long run, it looks good for the pats.

I agree, not a move which makes a difference in the end. The guy is 30, has taken a pounding on a lousy team -how much does he have left in the tank? I can't imagine a big impact from this, in fact it shows the Patriots are worried about something they have no ability to fix

who would give up more than the Pats did for a 30 year old back with a lot of miles on? for that matter, did someone say a first and a second?? that's crazy talk!

uuummmmm you take the best team in the NFL and give them a sick player at a position where they have been lacking and you ask if it will affect us? I would venture to say yes.

Back
Top Bottom