Dillon traded to Patriots: Does this really affect us? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dillon traded to Patriots: Does this really affect us?

Dolphins17-0 said:
im not sure of their salary cap situation, but regardless, on draft day, dillon will be worth more than the 2nd round pick they gave up, so basically, no matter what happens with this deal in the long run, it looks good for the pats.

In the long-run??? At the age of 30 this guy isn't their long-term back. I think the name "Dillon" is what's scaring you the most. Like I said, I'll give him his props for his former single game rushing record, but he's a true cancer. A guy that gets out in the press and hammers on team execs and other teammates. And with everything we're reading about the Patriots organization, with BB and the way he handles himself on the negotiating tables, I just don't see this one panning out for very long. Why wasn't this trade manifested earlier???????? It's so obviously a draft day positioning move.

Finfan80 said:
who would give up more than the Pats did for a 30 year old back with a lot of miles on? for that matter, did someone say a first and a second?? that's crazy talk!

Look at Dallas. They needed a back hardcore, yet were not willing to give up a 2nd rounder, nor were the Raiders.

enigmatics said:
In the long-run??? At the age of 30 this guy isn't their long-term back. I think the name "Dillon" is what's scaring you the most. Like I said, I'll give him his props for his former single game rushing record, but he's a true cancer. A guy that gets out in the press and hammers on team execs and other teammates. And with everything we're reading about the Patriots organization, with BB and the way he handles himself on the negotiating tables, I just don't see this one panning out for very long. Why wasn't this trade manifested earlier???????? It's so obviously a draft day positioning move.

when i said in the long run, i meant...whether they keep him, or ship him elsewhere in order to move up or get a better pick than they gave up for him (which IS possible when teams are more desperate on draft day) it was a smart move for the patriots.

Dolphins17-0 said:
you just said earlier that antowain smith was every bit as good as dillon.
you can't honestly believe that, and i am shocked you are happy that the pats just upgraded one of their few weaknesses, like i said, if he runs like hes capable of, and he doesnt mess up the pats locker room, then the afc east is in trouble. Hopefully his age, attitude, and nagging injuries will cause problems all year for the pats.

Antowain Smith can be a dog but he was very good for NE in '01 and was very good down the stretch last year, Dillon is better but it's not by a wide margin and his antics are against what has made NE successful the past few years. When did Dillon become a HOFer? What has this guy done. He has been a good running back and that's it, the Pats didn't acquire Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes.

enigmatics said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1785718

If you haven't heard yet, Corey Dillon just became a Patriot.

..............Obviously it's a step up from Smith and Faulk. This one has draft positioning all over it man. C'mon it doesn't take a genious to see that Dillon is not a BB/Pioli style player, specifically from a loud-mouth stand point. Just the fact that Rudi Johnson took his job in one year shows me where this guy is headed. I'm not going to take credit away from some of his on-field accomplishments (i.e. former holder of the single game rushing record), but it just goes to show you how badly this guy fluctuates mentally.QUOTE]

He was also a mental case at times in college at Washington, and had a bad reputation as an early teen for his attitude / antics.

Still, Great move by the Patriots. Well worth the risk when you are on top.

This is dsiasterous for the Fins there is nothing worse than a gifted player who has something to prove.

NE was already a great team with NO running game, even if he is just an ordianry 1000 yard back our world just got a lot worse.

What the hell is worng with Cinncy for giving him up so cheaply?????
They could have at LEAST took away a first round pick for him.

This pust a lot of pressure on the defense now.

This sucks SOO bad.

Three years ago? yes. Corey Dillon now? Hello Corey, meet my lil friend Ogun!!

nyjunc said:
Antowain Smith can be a dog but he was very good for NE in '01 and was very good down the stretch last year, Dillon is better but it's not by a wide margin and his antics are against what has made NE successful the past few years. When did Dillon become a HOFer? What has this guy done. He has been a good running back and that's it, the Pats didn't acquire Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes.

what has this guy done?
you are killing your credibility as a poster here, let me point it out to you...
1997, his first year, he only STARTED 6 games, only saw the ball 233 times and he still got 1129 yards (the worst of his career, til last years injury/team issues)

so for starters the worst year yardage wise the guy has ever had is 1129.
worst yards per carry he has ever had is 3.9, best is 4.8...but he averages 4.3--on one of the worst teams in football

43 touchdowns in 6 seasons when he was the main guy--on one of the worst teams in football(again disregarding last season due to the circumstances)

oh yea, he also averages 7.7 yards a reception for his career
he's had 54 runs of over 20 yards
he had the single game rushing record up until last year
and lastly, he's only lost 12 fumbles in 1865 attempts

yards, tds
1388, 10
1308, 5
1490, 6
1593, 7
1543, 13
1609, 7

yards = total yards from scrimmage, each season 97 through 2002- one of the worst organizations in football the whole time

what has this guy done, give me a freaking break

Maybe Memories said:
Its a good move... but it wont affect us when we play em because u cant run against our defense...

Maybe Memories, you're showing just that, Maybe Mems...this guy is flat out good, he had injuries and head problems last year and last year only. If we didn't have Ricky and we could get Dillion, I'd go for him in a heart beat..Now we've got to go against him twice a year, this guys is a nightmare, making a strong team stronger. We used to just worry about their passing, now we have to take note of their runner, you sleep on him and he's gone..This was an excellent move by the Pats. What we got in Boston, they just countered with Dillion. Both O's about the same except their QB is better which is a big difference maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
he may be older...but he can still run.....he could be a good one for them

Dolphins17-0 said:
what has this guy done?
you are killing your credibility as a poster here, let me point it out to you...
1997, his first year, he only STARTED 6 games, only saw the ball 233 times and he still got 1129 yards (the worst of his career, til last years injury/team issues)

so for starters the worst year yardage wise the guy has ever had is 1129.
worst yards per carry he has ever had is 3.9, best is 4.8...but he averages 4.3--on one of the worst teams in football

43 touchdowns in 6 seasons when he was the main guy--on one of the worst teams in football(again disregarding last season due to the circumstances)

oh yea, he also averages 7.7 yards a reception for his career
he's had 54 runs of over 20 yards
he had the single game rushing record up until last year
and lastly, he's only lost 12 fumbles in 1865 attempts

yards, tds
1388, 10
1308, 5
1490, 6
1593, 7
1543, 13
1609, 7

yards = total yards from scrimmage, each season 97 through 2002- one of the worst organizations in football the whole time

what has this guy done, give me a freaking break

Don't give me the total yards from scrimmage, I'm talking rushing yards. He's been a good back but not a great one, when I say what has he done I am referring to the panic on AFC East boards like this guy is Ladanian Tomlinson. He is not, he is a good back not much better than Smith but he is a headcase who could fracture the Pats.

And being on a bad football team doens't mean anything, when we were 1-15 in '96 we had a near 1,300 yard rusher in Adrian Murrell.

I'm totally suprised that M.lewis would allow a good team to get better in his own confrence, especially since the AFC east plays them this year. Cory's going to be motivated for that game for sure. I wonder if this will change our draft decission?

Back
Top Bottom