Dion Sims - Is TE still a need? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dion Sims - Is TE still a need?

Although I agree with you at a high level, I'm a firm believer at taking the absolute BPA when it's your turn to draft.

Worst case you are STACKED at a position which becomes a real super strength and gives you options.

I don't believe its ever bad when you have rookies pushing older & more expensive veterans for playing time.

Get the players that bring the best VALUE to the team REGARDLESS of position and work to fill in the rest.

The Dolphins have been drafting for need for YEARS now resulting in selecting John Avery over Randy Moss (1998) &
Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees (2001). It goes ON & ON :rolleyes2: - Just Sayin'
:idk:

Jamar Fletcher over Brees was drafting for need? Really? We had Jay Fiedler at QB. We had Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain at CB. Which position did we need?

Dion seems to be stepping it up every game. His blocking is great and he is scoring TDs as a redzone threat. I'm wondering if he can't be the TE that Cameron was suppose to be for us.

Thoughts?

Sims is not the seam stretching TE we need. Sure he's a good blocker and decent receiver on shorter passes but we need a TE with speed who can get down the seam and be a bigger threat in the passing game.

duarte is a PS player in my eyes. he wasn't a dominate athlete despite his lack of size at te in college so i cant imagine him putting on NFL weight and being a better athlete now. te isn't a luxury pick but it's still certainly somewhat of a need to make the offense more dynamic. we'll have to see how the cookie crumbles come draft time.

I hear that a lot but is it always true? Has anyone ever gained muscle mass and retained their speed and quickness? Isn't there a RIGHT way to do it?

There is a right way to do it but the person has to have the right frame to be able to add the weight without losing much of the athleticism. Duarte doesn't have the frame to add the weight and still be the same athlete and at 6'2" he's basically the same height as a WR.

Although I agree with you at a high level, I'm a firm believer at taking the absolute BPA when it's your turn to draft.

Worst case you are STACKED at a position which becomes a real super strength and gives you options.

I don't believe its ever bad when you have rookies pushing older & more expensive veterans for playing time.

Get the players that bring the best VALUE to the team REGARDLESS of position and work to fill in the rest.

The Dolphins have been drafting for need for YEARS now resulting in selecting John Avery over Randy Moss (1998) &
Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees (2001). It goes ON & ON :rolleyes2: - Just Sayin'
:idk:
The year we took Jamar Fletcher he was not a need. We NEEDED a WR and I wanted Reggie Wayne but Wannstedt in all his glory only thought about defense so he took Fletcher. We took Chris Chambers in the 2nd round of that draft if I'm not mistaken. Wayne was a lot better than both of those guys.

John Avery was Jimmy Johnson trying to find his Emmitt Smith for the Dolphins. Randy Moss had red flags all over his background so I don't fault Jimmy for passing on him. Both RB and WR were a need in that draft though. So...just saying.

I feel like the team still needs a dynamic tight end. I do like Sims, but he's not the seam stretcher that presents all kinds of problems for the defense.

Unless I'm mistaken, both Sims and Gray Are UFA, right? There will be superior options on the market.

(And I *like* Sims quite a bit.)

Jamar Fletcher over Brees was drafting for need? Really? We had Jay Fiedler at QB. We had Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain at CB. Which position did we need?

That question is probably best put to Dave Wanstedt...

Back
Top Bottom