Dion Sims - Is TE still a need? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dion Sims - Is TE still a need?

Dion Sims made some nice plays but the guy is regularly pretty invisible. When you have been playing for several years and rarely are visible on game day, you're not an impact player. Sims is a contributor, but he is not a guy you hesitate to upgrade from. I wouldn't say TE is a definitive need, as this offense seems to function fine without having a great TE, but if there is a guy in the draft or in FA who is great value, Sims is not reason enough to consider that position settled.

Some have said that we don't need a better TE because Tannehill fails to use one. This may have been true as of late but it's not necessarily true all the time. Clay was Tannehill's safety valve to a fault when he was here, just like Jarvis was last year (the guy who got the ball on third down even when he was blanketed). Tannehill just didn't have chemistry with Cameron, who didn't get open in this offense and dropped passes when he did, and with three talented pass catchers on the field and running backs who are pretty talented with the ball in their hands, the TE is frequently the last option, though we did a great job of exploiting this for designed plays with both Sims and Cameron out.

Sims was a great pick and just needed a few year to adjust to the next level to mature. He was insane for Michigan. Duarte is going to be special once he gets some more muscle. We are set at tight end. I also think our secondary is legit and young, howard and Lippet will be starter for years to come, with mcain on the inside. WE NEED LINEBACKERS and GUARDS/CENTER.

Lots of guys were great players in college. Egnew was a prolific receiver in college. Dion Sims doesn't have the athleticism, quickness, or change of direction to be a difference maker in the NFL. With his size and reasonable athleticism, he can be and is solid, but he's never gonna be Julius Thomas, no matter how good he was in college.

A need? Not necessarily; however, if you have the opportunity to add extraordinary talent to your team, you should go for it. That goes for any position with few exceptions imo. Dion Sims is coming along nicely, but building on that strength will help Tannehill immensely. Imagine having the prototypical fast, athletic TE who doesn't run block as well but has elite speed and ball skills. Add that type of talent to the everything else and the offense has the potential to be very dangerous.

A need? Not necessarily; however, if you have the opportunity to add extraordinary talent to your team, you should go for it. That goes for any position with few exceptions imo. Dion Sims is coming along nicely, but building on that strength will help Tannehill immensely. Imagine having the prototypical fast, athletic TE who doesn't run block as well but has elite speed and ball skills. Add that type of talent to the everything else and the offense has the potential to be very dangerous.

Sounds like Duarte to me....IDK.

If we lose Stills but can keep Sims, I'd rather draft another WR than TE, even though Caroo would theoretically waiting in the wings to take over we'd be dreadfully thin behind our top guys.

You know, there's been some good TE's drafted in recent years, but I'm actually surprised still by how many busts there are at that position.

I'd go ahead and use Ross' check book and extend Sim a 3 year deal for $25 with $10 in guaranteed bonus disguised as a 5 year $50 million.

Looking around the league, I wonder is the dysfunctional Bill will let Nick O'Leary go since he hasn't done chit and Charles Clay bloated contract is killing their TE money.

Duatre? Meh just not seeing it.

Dion seems to be stepping it up every game. His blocking is great and he is scoring TDs as a redzone threat. I'm wondering if he can't be the TE that Cameron was suppose to be for us.

Thoughts?

Sims is one of my favorite players on the Dolphins. We need to draft or sign another TE simple because of Dion's history with concussions. He has had 2 or 3 since becoming a Dolphin. He can't afford to get many more of them before his career will be in jeopardy.

It's not a need we have enough receiving hands and a great receiver in RB Williams . All 3 TEs block well maybe we draft one in the 5th round but it is not a need anymore. We will go LB in the first for sure.

Yes we need to address LB,TE,OG with our few draft picks. LB is a must before TE please!!

Although I agree with you at a high level, I'm a firm believer at taking the absolute BPA when it's your turn to draft.

Worst case you are STACKED at a position which becomes a real super strength and gives you options.

I don't believe its ever bad when you have rookies pushing older & more expensive veterans for playing time.

Get the players that bring the best VALUE to the team REGARDLESS of position and work to fill in the rest.

The Dolphins have been drafting for need for YEARS now resulting in selecting John Avery over Randy Moss (1998) &
Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees (2001). It goes ON & ON :rolleyes2: - Just Sayin'
:idk:

Need a receiving tight end to compliment, but surely Sims deserves a long term deal.

Although I agree with you at a high level, I'm a firm believer at taking the absolute BPA when it's your turn to draft.

Worst case you are STACKED at a position which becomes a real super strength and gives you options.

I don't believe its ever bad when you have rookies pushing older & more expensive veterans for playing time.

Get the players that bring the best VALUE to the team REGARDLESS of position and work to fill in the rest.

The Dolphins have been drafting for need for YEARS now resulting in selecting John Avery over Randy Moss (1998) &
Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees (2001). It goes ON & ON :rolleyes2: - Just Sayin'
:idk:

I believe in this as well. Drafting for need tends to make you over value a player and take them higher than normal. This also goes against the strategy of allowing the draft to come to you.

Back
Top Bottom