Do we keep Sam Madison? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we keep Sam Madison?

First of all, Madison is still one of the best corners in the league. Second of all, trading or cutting Madison would do us ABSOLUTELY no good. I do agree he is on the overpaid side though (he is our highest paid player). He is signed through 2007 with 1.74 million SBonus attached to each year. If he cut or trade him we take a $7 million cap hit. He is making $8 million next season. We would only save $1 million on the cap and would never find a better CB for a million. We are stuck with him. Our only hope with him would be trying to get him to take a paycut. Restructuring his deal again would just hurt us worse in the future. Looking at our cap situation, it's going to be very difficult to sign Ogun to a longterm deal. We might be better to tender him ($1.8 mill) and take the first and third rounder if anyone bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madison is top 5 CB in the NFL. Has played very solid all year. Last year he tore something in his knee which slowed him down. He played through it...shows how tough he is. We are keeping him.

Originally posted by Gonk
Sam is having a very mediocre year this season. He has been burned numerous times and he just seems like he isn't the same guy he was years ago. He's going to be 30 next year, and it seems since 1998/1999 he's been going downhill.

Not to mention his salary is roughly $5,000,000 and I think it's going to be even more next year. If we trade him, I think we could get either a 2nd or a 3rd for him. We need the cap space to re-sign O-Gun anyway. We could pick up a CB with one of our later picks (4th or 5th) and let Buckley start next year. Hell, we could even move Freeman to CB.

If we trade away Madison, we'll have a lot more cap space to work with. We could sign a big time OL (Timmerman, Pace, Woody) with the extra money we'd be getting.

What do you guys think? Keep him, or trade him?

Personally, I'm not a Madison fan.
Don't have any respect for the guy.
He refuses to make a tough tackle, his play has never matched his mouth and ego, his play IMO has fallen off instead of improving and the Surtain situation last year was the last straw for me as a fan.

Don't get me wrong. He's a good player but IMO he's not worth the money were paying him.

If next season was a FA year I'd say SEE YA!

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Trek he is making tough tackles this year, what do you mean refuse's?

I've personally never seen one.
Any tackle he makes looks like a Matador sidestepping to get out of the way of a bull. He always tries to step out of the way and arm tackle just like Deion Sanders did.

It's pathetic.

I forget what game it was, it wasn't to long ago, but he absolutely cracked someone, you could hear them his from so far away. Does anyone remember what game that was?

I began to see a positive noticable difference in Sam beginning with the Houston game. He is hitting and tackling much more aggressively this year than at any time since he's been a Dolphin in MY opinion. He has always covered well, although as was mentioned above he played through a knee injury last season and it affected him adversely.
This year though he has combined his fine coverage skills and tricks with much more effort as a hitter and tackler.

He's having a better season than last year, but he isn't his pro bowl self, IMO. He's hitting harder, but isn't as fast. It would be so much easier to see him go if Jamar wasn't a facking bust.

Back
Top Bottom