do you consider NE AS BIG a rival as buffalo or NY? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do you consider NE AS BIG a rival as buffalo or NY?

SuperMarksBros.

Formerly Fiedler for MVP
Reaction score
i dont. despite the fact that they won the SB two years ago and kicked us out of the playoffs last year(actually, we kicked ourselves out, :cry: ... but i digress)i just dont get pumped up for a game vs patriots like i do vs the others. perhaps it is because, i always expect miami to beat NE. seriously, in their greatest season, we hammered them early in the season 30-10 and came up just short late in the season hugely because lamar couldnt hang on to the football at the goalline, TWICE(geez, how many times did that happen that year?). the buffalo and jet games are always a tossup, though we're usually the better team. plus, we've gone thru long stretches without beating both of them(bills- early 90's, jets-late 90's thru early 00's)and that really fuels my hate for them. i dont know, patriot week just isnt the same as jet week or buffalo to me. i think even jet fans and buffalo fans can agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it has to do with the fact that their fans aren't as annoying. I don't get as pumped because patsie fans don't really know about football, they just cheer for the guy in their uniform. Buffalo and Jet fans are quite a nusaince, and that has to help the rivalry. Remember Brian Cox flying birdies at the Bills fans? You don't get that in NE, those guys are truly patsies.

The Patriots were a great rival in the late 70's and early 80's back when they had Grogan and Russ Francis I remember them as our top division rival. And then when they came into the OB in the 85 Championship game and we handed them the game, that was as bad a Fins moment as I've ever seen, not to mention the #@#%&**()*^%$# snowplow game

But, it was never as heated as with the Jets or Bills got in the 90's and today, probably becasue there are so many New Yorkers down here.

The reverse is also true.

We have such a rivalry with New York - especially since the Parcells/Belichick coaching flip-flop. And they're our natural geographical rival.

We've got the Bledsoe thing with Buffalo as you all know.

You really expect Miami to beat NE all the time? I know we had some lean years, but it seems like we always split with you guys.

Buffalo seems to have your number....and all New York fans are annoying.

I was waiting for you to ring in. Anyway, we are just used to beating you. Usually we kick your ass bad, then there is a close one and you pull it off, I guess that's why we expect to win. When was the last time you remember either team sweeping (miami-ne)?

Probably because of my age, but I consider NE and NY both bigger rivalries that Buffalo. In the 70's and 80's we owned Buffalo. I think the Phins still hold some kind of record for number of consecutive game we won against that team.

I began watching football at the peak of the Miami-Buffalo rivalry and now it's Miami-NY Jets that get me fired.

I dont hate the Pats like the two others. They're like the Colts to me. We need to beat them, but not as much as the Bills/Jets.

Originally posted by zachseau13
The Patriots were a great rival in the late 70's and early 80's back when they had Grogan and Russ Francis I remember them as our top division rival. And then when they came into the OB in the 85 Championship game and we handed them the game, that was as bad a Fins moment as I've ever seen, not to mention the #@#%&**()*^%$# snowplow game

But, it was never as heated as with the Jets or Bills got in the 90's and today, probably becasue there are so many New Yorkers down here.

damn, i remember grogan. i would nearly cry when they benched eason because grogan had our number. i hated that guy. and what was the deal with the linebacker neck pad?

I hate the Jets far more than I will ever hate the Patriots or the Bills.

Originally posted by PatsWin2002
The reverse is also true.

We have such a rivalry with New York - especially since the Parcells/Belichick coaching flip-flop. And they're our natural geographical rival.

We've got the Bledsoe thing with Buffalo as you all know.

You really expect Miami to beat NE all the time? I know we had some lean years, but it seems like we always split with you guys.

Buffalo seems to have your number....and all New York fans are annoying.

Agreed Paswin.
I actually know quite a few really cool Pats fans.
Boston is also one of the friendliest cities I've been too, second only to Chicago up north.

NY on the other hand...... capital of rude.

Jets will always be enemy number one followed close by Bills simply because of the nauseating fans.

However, the Pats dealt us the biggest blow ever IMO.
1985 AFC championship game, last game in the O.B.
The Pats ended Marino's best shot a ring that year.
We had already beaten Chicago once and were much better equipped to beat them in the Super Bowl. We'll never know though because that pencil kneck geek QB Grogan led the Pats past us to go on and get stomped by the Bears.

That's the season I always look back on the as the most depressing.:nono:

Anyone else remember Grogan...... did that guy not look like E.T.
with that 2 foot long and skinny kneck of his sticking out of his pads??? His helmet looked like it was on top of an extend-a-ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also gotta say this about Buffalo........those fans have been tortured like only Red Sox fans can understand. To get so close so many times and never finish first is brutal.

They're a great football town, but all they've got is the Bills and the Sabres - remember the "skate in the crease" thing against Buffalo a few years ago??

Red Sox fans know Buffalo's pain. However, as a 5 team town we can emotionally move onto the other teams. In Buffalo you either have to wait or commit suicide - cuz it's gonna snow and be depressing anyway!

Originally posted by Trekbiz
Jets will always be enemy number one followed close by Bills simply because of the nauseating fans.

However, the Pats dealt us the biggest blow ever IMO.
1985 AFC championship game, last game in the O.B.
The Pats ended Marino's best shot a ring that year.
We had already beaten Chicago once and were much better equipped to beat them in the Super Bowl. We'll never know though because that pencil kneck geek QB Grogan led the Pats past us to go on and get stomped by the Bears.

That's the season I always look back on the as the most depressing.:nono:

i dont know, man. i know miami won that bear game but they had EVERYTHING going their way. i'd like to think miami had a shot to win, but the way chicago steamrolled NE i'm not sure even the 72 fins, montana led 49er's, or 78 steelers had anything for them on that day. personally, i think our best shot was 2002. and it wasnt ruined on that fateful december day in NE, because we would have had a long playoff road to the SB. our chances ultimately ended with jay's injury. all other things equal, we would have easily finished 13-3 or 12-4 with a 1st round bye and the road to the SB going thru miami. and we all know how dominant miami was at home last year. the NE game would have been meaningless, and out starters would have rested:cry: ...woulda, coulda, shoulda

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

damn, i remember grogan. i would nearly cry when they benched eason because grogan had our number. i hated that guy. and what was the deal with the linebacker neck pad?

Grogan was one tough son of a gun. That neck pad had to do something because Grogan used to take hits and come back like nobody I've ever seen. Plus, you never knew what he was going to do in a game. That 4th down flea flicker he threw against us in that 85 game, killed us. The whole world was expecting a field goal attempt.

Back
Top Bottom