do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

ltfinfan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
or will it be like when fiedler and huard battled iit out. huard played almost all of the preseason while fiedler was hurt but still won the job.

no, Wanny will favor Fiedler just like old times:nono:

Wanne like Jay all thruout camps and had pre-determined he was the starter before PS started. IMO Feeley is in the position of having the starting job de facto unless he proves he is not up to it. That is whywe got him

Originally posted by dolphan39
Wanne like Jay all thruout camps and had pre-determined he was the starter before PS started. IMO Feeley is in the position of having the starting job de facto unless he proves he is not up to it. That is whywe got him

no, that is why Rick got him Wanny wants to do his own thing

Originally posted by dolphan39

Agreed. It will, imo, likely be biased in favor of Feeley. Jay would have to beat Feeley by a large margin in order to retain the starting position. Just speculation on my part given the fact that they made the move, Rick wants to be proven right, Wanny was undoubtedly consulted and in agreement with picking him up, and they've seen Jay's limitations over the past 4 years.

Originally posted by Agua

Agreed. It will, imo, likely be biased in favor of Feeley. Jay would have to beat Feeley by a large margin in order to retain the starting position. Just speculation on my part given the fact that they made the move, Rick wants to be proven right, Wanny was undoubtedly consulted and in agreement with picking him up, and they've seen Jay's limitations over the past 4 years.

While some here claim I am a "Jaybot", I see absolutely nothing wrong with favoring Feeley just as long as there is a legitimate competition.

As to those of you who take issue with Huard/Fiedler: GET THE F*** OVER IT! What you think happened DID NOT happen, and you would have to think Dave an idiot to have him endanger his own job by starting a lesser QB than one on the bench. I submit that if Dave is indeed that big an idiot, the Dolphins have had bigger troubles than Fiedler since the day DW joined the crew.

I think in order for Jay to start he will have to prove he is better than Feeley, which will prove Rick's gamble on trading a pick for Feeley failed.

However if they are too close in comparison to decide who is the better man... Feeley will start.

Fiedler has to out right beat Feeley out to start again. I think if anybody has an edge, it's A.J.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will be a fair battle at all, and I will go as far to say that the only chance that Fiedler starts for us is through injury or pure incompetance from Feeley, which I do not anticipate.

Feeley is our starter, everybody knows that.

I don't think the public will have anything to say about who starts. Wanny understands his situation and he's going to start whomever he thinks will win him the most games.
The odds are it will be Fiedler. Feeley hasnt proven anything so far. I hope its Feeley, because I want an improvement at QB.....but I think its far from a sure thing.

Even if Feeley doesn't start he's well worth what we paid if he's a quality backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is that we, as fans see mostly only the 2 w/o's daily of summer training camp. We don't see all the spring camps leading up to the summer...We are not in the meetings to see who is better at studying tendencies off of films, etc...in the 6 weeks of s. camp, we won't know how much progress has been made by either JF or AJ. In the case of Huard, I guess DW was right, cause he has not caught anyones eyes anywhere else...(albeit, being behind Brady could leave most QBs invisible). What we will see is how well each of them can relate on the field, but even that is skewed by whether the 1st team O is in there against the 2nd team D, how many of our starters are in for those series, etc.

While JF has the edge on experience, the staff also knows his limitations. Feeley is an open book to them....So they have to make a decision based on what they know of JF....not like the Huard thing, because they didn't know either of them. DW has shown a tendency to go the conservative route on most things...I hope he is objective enough to see thru that this time around (assuming that AJ is the better potential QB.

Yes, I think it will be a fair competition, at least from the coaches standpoint. Fiedler was injured when he competed with Huard, and Brock wasn't ready to be a starting QB. Fiedler was obviously the better choice, and it has nothing to do with what's going on now.

The competition between A.J. and Jay is much, much different.

I think the choice between Feeley and Fiedler will come down to stats. Both players practice hard, both players give everything they've got, and both guys have great character. Whoever leads the offense better will win the starting spot.

I just hope neither get injured during pre-season. If Feeley wins the competition because Jay is injured, I don't think there would be much debate, unless Feeley obviously played badly. However, if A.J. is injured, and Fiedler wins by default, there will be a huge uproar, even if Jay plays the entire pre-season perfectly.

I think, on the coaches part, the competition will be fair. In the fans' eyes, however, Fiedler simply cannot win.

Two ways to look at this in relation to the Huard/Fiedler thing. First off lets get something straight. Fiedler didn't "win" that battle. Huard lost it. Listen to Wannstedt on the subject:

"Numbers don't lie," Wannstedt said. "They are what they are."

Wannstedt said that's why he once chose Jay Fiedler as starter over Damon Huard as starter, even though the latter played the entire exhibition season.

"Do you know how many touchdowns we scored that pre-season when Damon was the quarterback?" Wannstedt asked. "Zero. So A.J. is going to get plenty of opportunities. He's going to play as much as Jay in the pre-season."

Wannstedt has also said that we've GOT to get better at the quarterback position. In other words, for Jay to win the job he has to be like an uber-Jay Fiedler and play like a man possessed. For him to lose the job all he has to do is be normal Jay.

So if you want you could just choose to think that for some reason when Wannstedt first laid eyes on Jay Fiedler he became star-struck and enamoured with him to the point where he's been sticking with him unjustifiably for 4 years.

Or, you could look at it this way. In 2000, Jay Fiedler was an unknown. Damon Huard was a known quantity, Wannstedt having been with the team as assistant coach in 99. Huard also became even more of a known quantity in preseason when we score like 0 touchdowns. So, Wannstedt went with the unknown Jay Fiedler. I believe Wannstedt in this case would be more likely to choose the unknown, than a guy who you know what he brings to the table...which is to say, not enough.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Two ways to look at this in relation to the Huard/Fiedler thing. First off lets get something straight. Fiedler didn't "win" that battle. Huard lost it. Listen to Wannstedt on the subject:

Wannstedt has also said that we've GOT to get better at the quarterback position. In other words, for Jay to win the job he has to be like an uber-Jay Fiedler and play like a man possessed. For him to lose the job all he has to do is be normal Jay.

If Jay plays as he usually does, and Feeley plays as he usually does, I think Fiedler starts. So far, Jay Fiedler has been better than Feeley. So Feeley has to show that he has improved. Also, what happens if Jay is normal Jay and Feeley stinks up the joint?

Fiedler starts if Feeley chokes.

I still hope Feeley starts, but he has to earn it. Jay will be ready.

Back
Top Bottom