do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Two ways to look at this in relation to the Huard/Fiedler thing. First off lets get something straight. Fiedler didn't "win" that battle. Huard lost it...
Exactly. I was going to post the same thing.

Huard did not score any TD's in Chan Gailey's system.

Chan Gailey's offensive system really required an athletic QB.

Chan Gailey had alot of say in who he wanted to run his system...as will Collier, Trestman, & Sullivan. After taking the input from those coaches...Wannstedt will field the QB who has the best chance of winning games in our particular system.

The current offensive system does not require an athletic QB...it requires an accurate one. I suspect that the QB that shows the best reads and throws the ball with the greatest accuracy will "WIN" the starting role.

Let the competition begin.

There's no telling what Dave might do but I'd be shocked if Jay starts unless AJ has one of the worst pre-seasons ever by a QB.

Ozzy rules!!

Hell no it won't be fair. For Wannestedt to keep it fair that would mean that he doesn't visibly offer help to his guy from the last four years. It'll be slanted towards Fiedler. Hopefully Feeley's becoming real close with the recievers so that he has a chance. I think Feeley will win anyways because Fiedler just ain't got it! Give some new blood a chance at the qb position.

I don't know if Feeley will be a remarkable improvement of Jay but hopefully he won't embarass us with as many 3 or more int games! Asides from that our WR's can make anyone look good!

I think it's fascinating that almost no one thinks it will be a fair competition, but there's an almost even split on who will get the benefit of the doubt.

My only thought is that when you have Feeley live in a press conference and Fiedler on the phone, it doesn't bode well for the latter. Isn't that how it went down?

It may or may not be slanted toward Feeley, but it will NOT be slanted toward Fiedler, I'm confident about that. Wanny knows that he's on the line this year, and with some pressure from management to start Feeley (and they probably wouldn't have traded for him without consulting Wanny), he's probably not giving Jay the benefit of the doubt.

Ricks future depends on the success of wanny coaching so i get the feeling Spielmans going to make sure it will be fair or at least if i was him i would make sure it was. Imagine your job hinges on the success of wannies ability

Originally posted by ltfinfan
or will it be like when fiedler and huard battled iit out. huard played almost all of the preseason while fiedler was hurt but still won the job.

If he does it like Huard/Fiedler then that is fair. Fiedler out played Huard that pre-season. Sorry you missed that lil fact.

Yes I do think Wanny will be fair. Unlike some of you I actually think he's a good HC.

Oliver...

I'm not.

I really hope feeley succeeds, but i see this happening....

"We're starting jay because he's the one with experience, we hope AJ can take over mid-season". Come mid-season, if Feeley doesn't produce a agreat game "We were right in keeping Jay, he's obviously the better QB, so he will start for the rest of the year".

Re: Re: do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ohall

If he does it like Huard/Fiedler then that is fair. Fiedler out played Huard that pre-season. Sorry you missed that lil fact.

Yes I do think Wanny will be fair. Unlike some of you I actually think he's a good HC.

Oliver...

how could fieldler out play huard when he played only about two quarters of football and was mediocre at that so sorry apperanty you missed more than i did

Yeah I mean I dont want to rub this in but Fiedler played one half of one preseason game prior to Dave Wannstedt making the decision on which QB to play. And in that half of football, Fiedler tossed the ball into the hands of Saints defenders no less than 4 or 5 times, 2 or 3 of which turned into Interceptions. I remember that game. I'm sorry if you forgot Oliver, but Fiedler really did not outplay Huard. Huard played himself out of the job basically.

Fiedler got us into the endzone once or twice during that game. But he also tossed it into defenders arms a bunch of times. I don't call that outplaying a guy. I call it Huard losing the job before Fiedler even stepped onto the field.

Well, it was very apparent that Fiedler had a lot more poise and was able to move the team, which was something Huard couldn't do in the previous 3 (4?) preseason games. At that point, I think everyone was willing to attribute the ints. to rust with Fiedler having been injured. Little did we suspect that it was SOP for him every few games. To me, though, the way Fiedler was able to move the team, it was pretty clear he was the better QB. So, in a sense, I guess you're right in that Huard just did such a lousy job that Jay simply being able to get a couple TDs out of the team won the job for him.

Huard was pathetic.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
I think it's fascinating that almost no one thinks it will be a fair competition, but there's an almost even split on who will get the benefit of the doubt.

I think it is possible to run a fair competition that presumes AJ will be starting in the case where both guys appear to be equally good/bad. I think it is important to be up front with at least the guy who has that presumption going against him (Jay), but I could even see it as fair if they didn't do that. I would actually argue that a presumption one way or the other is important because it avoids the situation where the people in charge can't make a choice and the team is divided over it. That's really destructive.

These guys will get equal work until one of them demonstrates superiority or until time is short enough that they have to award the job to somebody for the sake of the offense having a chance to work together. I have every confidence that Jay can win this job if he performs better than AJ and that AJ will win if he does as well as or better than Jay. That's as fair as I think anybody could possibly ask for in this situation. I imagine that Jay would rather be the guy in AJ's shoes, but I really don't think he can expect that given his track record. No QB who misses the playoffs for two straight years should credibly believe that the status quo will be sought.

Honestly for me a fair competition involves handing Feeley the starting job because, like Huard before him, Jay Fiedler has played his way out of the job in my opinion.

This is an interesting topic....

I think AJ Feeley will prove that he deserves the starting job. He's younger, has a stronger arm, is more accurate, and has the same "on the field" leadership qualities Fiedler has shown....

I don't think it will take long before we all know that Feeley is a better QB than Fielder. His accuarcy alone makes him a better option than Fiedler no questions asked IMO....

Feeley will start IMO. Not based on a fair competition, but based on the fact that he's a better QB...

PHINZ RULE!!!:cpatch:

I'm a bit more worried. Reports say that Feeley looks far better during games than in practice. Also it may take him a while (ie the whole preseason) to get acclimated to the offense which Fiedler already knows backwards and forward. Therefore the best QB for the job in October, November, and December may not be the the guy who looks best in August and September.

Back
Top Bottom