do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I'm a bit more worried. Reports say that Feeley looks far better during games than in practice. Also it may take him a while (ie the whole preseason) to get acclimated to the offense which Fiedler already knows backwards and forward. Therefore the best QB for the job in October, November, and December may not be the the guy who looks best in August and September.

i have to agree with you there. plus when they say all fiedler does is win games thay should change that to all he does is win regular season games. not too many post season games on the old resume

I'm a bit more worried. Reports say that Feeley looks far better during games than in practice. Also it may take him a while (ie the whole preseason) to get acclimated to the offense which Fiedler already knows backwards and forward. Therefore the best QB for the job in October, November, and December may not be the the guy who looks best in August and September.

The only thing we can hope for in this case is that our coaching staff is able to get a grasp on the situation and make it clear that Jay will be starting on an interim basis only until AJ is ready to take over. This team cannot afford to lose games in September due to AJ not being ready any more than it can afford to lose games in December because the superior QB is on the bench due to preseason play.

Re: Re: Re: do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ltfinfan

how could fieldler out play huard when he played only about two quarters of football and was mediocre at that so sorry apperanty you missed more than i did

I guess you really did miss it. Huard played in I think 3 pre-season games and didn't lead his team to one point, not ONE stinking point!

Fiedler came in played in 1 pre-season game and I believe led his team to 10 points.

What's so confusing? If Wanny didn't start Fiedler that would have been unfair and biased IMO. From what I can tell the point of a QB is to lead your team to points. Fiedler did that and Huard did not in SPADES during that pre-season. Further more Wanny's decision to start Fiedler obviously was the correct one. Some were predicting the Dolphins would go 5-11 that season. Ooooops. Oh wait, the D is the only reason the Dolphins won 11 games that season.

Oliver...

Re: Re: Re: Re: do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ohall

I guess you really did miss it. Huard played in I think 3 pre-season games and didn't lead his team to one point, not ONE stinking point!

Fiedler came in played in 1 pre-season game and I believe led his team to 10 points.

What's so confusing? If Wanny didn't start Fiedler that would have been unfair and biased IMO. From what I can tell the point of a QB is to lead your team to points. Fiedler did that and Huard did not in SPADES during that pre-season. Further more Wanny's decision to start Fiedler obviously was the correct one. Some were predicting the Dolphins would go 5-11 that season. Ooooops. Oh wait, the D is the only reason the Dolphins won 11 games that season.

Oliver...

how would wanny picking huard be biased. fefe has always been wannys guy plus in the last preseason game before the season starts there are hardly any starters playing in the game so what if fielder scored 10 points he also threw ints. so atleast we have a standard now score some points in a quarter of a preseason game and you get the starting job. wanny had his mind made up before fielder even played

Can we approach this question from another angle? As far was Wanny is concerned, what does he need to do to keep his job?

Make the playoffs? That would be an "improvement" over the last two seasons. Wanny could claim the team had taken a step forward at that point.

Jay can do enough for this team to get 10 wins, which odds are will be enough for a Wild-card spot. Is Wanny thinking that is the way to go? Conservative, but Wanny lives for that.

Feeley is a risk, he might win 11-12 games for us, OR, we might only get 8-9 wins and miss the postseason. With the wheels turning in Dave's mind, I really think he would rather go a pretty sure 10-6 than risk getting worse, even if it means giving up the chance to get better with Feeley.

Now, how much pressure can Rick bring to bear? After the contract Feeley got, and the #2 pick we traded, he will look a bit stupid if Feeley becomes just a back-up. I'm sorry, but a #2 pick is too high a price for a #2 QB. Especially with the contract AJ was given too.

Wayne H. seems to favor Feeley too, so that has to factor in. At the end of the day though, Wanny will do whatever he thinks it will take to save his job. Whether that is best for the team or not. I submit the Jets game at an example of Dave wanting to hit 10 wins despite having a chance to start some guys (Sage) and see what they could do in a real game. It would have been a good move for the future of the team, but not for Wanny, so he threw out all the stops to win.

The problem I see with starting Jay is that the team is no closer to a championship. Jay can get you about 10 wins, but you'll NEVER go far in the postseason. Jay's lack of talent really shows up against the better teams.

Sadly, Wanny will settle for "good" and not take a chance on being "great".

Heres what Wanny will look like when Feeley beats out Flop Fiedler.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you:D

Mind you, I don't agree with your premise, as it applies to the Fiedler/Huard situation, but it is a valid question with a lot of valid arguments on all three sides ("totally fair competition"/"weighted towatd Fiedler"/"weighted toward Feeley").

Thats false. Huard led us to multiple field goals throughout the preseason. But he failed to punch it through to the endzone. This was the primary reason Wannstedt chose Fiedler over Huard, because Fiedler got us a touchdown and Huard didn't. I remember before the game the guys "in the know" were saying prior to the game whichever guy gets us in the endzone, that is who our QB is going to be. Fiedler got us a TD but he also tossed 3 picks, and had 2 other easy picks dropped by Saint defenders. Still the quality of Fiedler's throws looked better than Huard, I remember Leslie Shepherd I think it was or maybe Tony Martin said the way the ball was already sailing toward the WR by the time he made his break, reminded him of Dan to some degree. Fiedler did not put together a body of work in the preseason that won him the job. Huard put together a body of work that lost the job, plain and simple. Wannstedt didn't know when he chose Jay that he had a sure-fire winner, he was just convinced that with Huard we had a sure-fire loser.

Dan Marino himself spoke up and said that Damon Huard should have been the starting QB in the regular season opener. He said that Fiedler did not do anything to win the job in preseason, and Huard should have been cut some slack because he not only played with the team as the starter for 5 or 6 games in 1999, but he led them to like a 5-1 record during that stretch (lot like Feeley). Dan and I would both tell you that in retrospect Wanny made the right decision but that doesn't mean he made it for great reasons. My co-worker picked out an NCAA tourney bracket by her favorite colors and mascots and ended up picking UConn to win it all, but that doesn't mean she looks like a genius doing it.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

Mind you, I don't agree with your premise, as it applies to the Fiedler/Huard situation, but it is a valid question with a lot of valid arguments on all three sides ("totally fair competition"/"weighted towatd Fiedler"/"weighted toward Feeley").

oh believe me i was rooting for fiedler to get the job i just believe that as soon as we signed fiedler he was going to be the starter but all the way up until fiedler played in a game they said it was an open compition and i feel this time that fiedler will have to light up the score board or feely is just plain stinks for him to get the starting job back. I feel that right now the starting job is feelys to lose

Dan Marino himself spoke up and said that Damon Huard should have been the starting QB in the regular season opener. He said that Fiedler did not do anything to win the job in preseason, and Huard should have been cut some slack because he not only played with the team as the starter for 5 or 6 games in 1999, but he led them to like a 5-1 record during that stretch (lot like Feeley)

I'm not sure if those were Dan's exact comments. I do recall specfically that he said Jay "didn't earn the job", which is a bit different than "Fiedler did not do anything to win the job in preseason". The former seems to harken to your comment concerning "putting together a body of work" while the latter sounds like he didn't do anything.

I'm sick and tired of people saying that all fiedler does is win games. Fiedler does NOT win games. He either keeps games managable so our D or RICKY can win games or he will LOSE them. Even when he puts up good numbers once or twice a year it is because he managed to throw the ball within the vicinity of the attended receivers and the RECEIVERS bailed him out. He rarely(under statement) hits our receivers in stride or puts it where only the receicer can catch it. I think it is apparent that the reason we win alot of games isn't because of fiedler.

Another thing, Rick S has been waiting his entire life to be where he is at now. He will not let fiedler ruin it for him, no matter how dave feels about it. Fiedler will be one of the best back ups in the league and that is it(barring injury to feeley).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

how would wanny picking huard be biased. fefe has always been wannys guy plus in the last preseason game before the season starts there are hardly any starters playing in the game so what if fielder scored 10 points he also threw ints. so atleast we have a standard now score some points in a quarter of a preseason game and you get the starting job. wanny had his mind made up before fielder even played

Well this debate is over for me. Anyone that drops down to a 3rd grade level and has to call a player feefee does not have my respect. Later.

Oliver...

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
I'm sick and tired of people saying that all fiedler does is win games. Fiedler does NOT win games. He either keeps games managable so our D or RICKY can win games or he will LOSE them. Even when he puts up good numbers once or twice a year it is because he managed to throw the ball within the vicinity of the attended receivers and the RECEIVERS bailed him out. He rarely(under statement) hits our receivers in stride or puts it where only the receicer can catch it. I think it is apparent that the reason we win alot of games isn't because of fiedler.

Another thing, Rick S has been waiting his entire life to be where he is at now. He will not let fiedler ruin it for him, no matter how dave feels about it. Fiedler will be one of the best back ups in the league and that is it(barring injury to feeley).

I don't agree with all of this. Before I go into my rebuttle please bare in mind that I am not a die hard Jay Fielder fan and would love to see AJ Feeley beat him out if that truly means he is the better QB. I want the Dolphins to win and win now.

Anyway I think Jay Fiedler was very good towards the end of the 2001 season when he had a decent o-line (for pass blocking if anyone can remember Lamar Smith sucked in 01 and the fins had no running agme at all) and McKnight and Gadsden as the starting WR's and Chambers at #3. In fact there was an article in that stretch of games where it showed that Jay had been amongst the top tier gun slingers in the league for the last 6 games of the 2001 season. I can also remember like 5 4th quarter comebacks that season in which our GREAT defense allowed teams to get out to early leads against us. Jay Fielder carried the offense on many occasions in 2001 and the fins had an 11-5 season only to come up short as they lost the tie breaker to the Pats and got the wild card. Chris Chambers hurt his ankle and was going to miss that wild card game and Zach Thomas was going to play with a seperated shoulder which pretty much told me it was over before it started.

In 2002 I thought that Fielder was playing solid football until the thumb injury. I think he was rushed back because Lucas sucked so badly and was never fully recovered from the injury.

In 2003 I relly think the O-line and WR's hurt are offense just as much as the QB play did. Don't forget the defense letting the Philly offense pushing us all over our own field in the most important game of the season. For such a highly touted defense it seems like they can never make a play in a critical juncture.

Back
Top Bottom