do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

If Feeley does not start then it will show what a failure that we did at upgrading the QB position. I don't mean to be negative but this organization must realize that the QB position is a key position and hoping a guy with mediocre talent can have a dream season is not going to happen.

Originally posted by T-Bone
If Feeley does not start then it will show what a failure that we did at upgrading the QB position. I don't mean to be negative but this organization must realize that the QB position is a key position and hoping a guy with mediocre talent can have a dream season is not going to happen.

Saving face at the expense of winning is never something I want this organization to do. I want to see AJ outperform Jay and lead us to glory. That's what I hope any fan would hope for. I just hope that this competition will be as fair as I think it will be and that we won't see Jay outperform but get relegated to the bench.

Originally posted by Agua

I'm not sure if those were Dan's exact comments. I do recall specfically that he said Jay "didn't earn the job", which is a bit different than "Fiedler did not do anything to win the job in preseason". The former seems to harken to your comment concerning "putting together a body of work" while the latter sounds like he didn't do anything.

I couldnt' find you a quote, but Dan was honked. He was adiment that he thouht Huard was the top pick for the starting job. No bones about it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: do you feel wanny will have a fair QB competition?

Originally posted by ohall

Well this debate is over for me. Anyone that drops down to a 3rd grade level and has to call a player feefee does not have my respect. Later.

Oliver...

what you ment to say was you have no arguement so you need an excuse to stop but thats ok i start the 4th grade tomarrow anyway

Damon Huard is terrible there are no bones about it. He didn't throw a lot of picks because he NEVER THREW. Huard wouldn't throw a pass unless it was wide open and if it wasn'ty he took a sack. Damon Huartd wasn't going to lose many games for you but he was never, ever on any given Sunday going to win a game for you. If Damon Huard was our starting QB in 2000 this team would look totally different today due to the high draft picks we would have gotten in 2001. Huard can't even beat out Rohan Davey in New England as Huard is third string. Before someone mentions Feeley remember Huard is already an established backup.

Originally posted by Graythreat

I couldnt' find you a quote, but Dan was honked. He was adiment that he thouht Huard was the top pick for the starting job. No bones about it.

You're correct.
He said it on Inside the NFL. He appeared hesitant, as though he didn't want to step on someone's toes or look like he was trying to get back at them because of his situation, but he was quite clear that even though Huard didn't do well in preseason, he thought it should have been his job.

Originally posted by F150&Dolfan
Damon Huard is terrible there are no bones about it. He didn't throw a lot of picks because he NEVER THREW. Huard wouldn't throw a pass unless it was wide open and if it wasn'ty he took a sack. Damon Huartd wasn't going to lose many games for you but he was never, ever on any given Sunday going to win a game for you. If Damon Huard was our starting QB in 2000 this team would look totally different today due to the high draft picks we would have gotten in 2001. Huard can't even beat out Rohan Davey in New England as Huard is third string. Before someone mentions Feeley remember Huard is already an established backup.

so would having those high draft picks be a good thing?

I doubt Wanny will give a fair competition. He'll give Fiedler the majority of the snaps in practice and preseason, giving Jay the advantage with experience of the new system. If Feeley gets a fair chance (if he doesn't, it's a waste of a pick), he'll have a very very very good chance at beating out Jay. But if he's not getting a fair amount of chances (i.e. a FULL preseason and training camp, which Griese lacked), Jay is unfortunately back. Heck even if Feeley is a Marino clone, he still won't be able to compete if Wanny shows his love for his pet Jay.

F150....the D has had a hard time "saving" the offense when our friend JF is throwing it to the wrong guys in crucial situations. This past year especially, it seemed that Jay would make a bonehead play just when it looked like the O was going to go somewhere....I can't remember a game since the Jets two years ago, that I felt we had the game won with 5 mins or less left on the clock...Yeah, teams come back on our defense, but the O is either giving it to them or not able to sustain a drive and keep the other team off the field. I don't know if there is such a stat, but how many times last year did we go 3 and out or not take hardly any time off the clock in the 4th quarter...I don't have stats or specifics, but I watched every game except the Indy game last year and our O did not get it done. JF was not the only culprit...but he is the guy who is supposed to make it happen...and he did not.

Worst of all was his inconsistency...he would make a great throw on the run, under pressure and then follow it up with an overthrow or miscue of some kind. I just can't agree with you on JF, and I have been a JF supporter since he came on board. Last year showed me he is not the answer. We need to get our act together soon cause Timbo, SM, ZT, JT, CC, PS, and RW all have been trying to carry this team and can't do it too much longer (due to salary cap and age). But we have to have someone to meld it all together, that is the QBs job...and it isn't happening with JF.

Originally posted by Jimmy James

Saving face at the expense of winning is never something I want this organization to do. I want to see AJ outperform Jay and lead us to glory. That's what I hope any fan would hope for. I just hope that this competition will be as fair as I think it will be and that we won't see Jay outperform but get relegated to the bench.

Saving face is a non issue, I don't expect Feeley to be the savior but after what we have seen from the QB position sine Dan has retired has been less than what this team deserves. Yes I understand about the cap and you cannot have a star caliber player at every position but Dan has been retired for 5 years now and having a solid QB should have been a proirity a little bit sooner either through the draft or a steal of a trade.
I feel optimistic on what AJ can do and I really hope he lights up Joe Robbie, but I can't help wondering what Wanny sees if Jay other than he knows the system. And with that being said Norv is gone so with system is going to change so why hold on to someone who thinks that he's a starter when he is really not. I guess Fiedler is Wanny's security blanket.

Originally posted by T-Bone

Saving face is a non issue, I don't expect Feeley to be the savior but after what we have seen from the QB position sine Dan has retired has been less than what this team deserves. Yes I understand about the cap and you cannot have a star caliber player at every position but Dan has been retired for 5 years now and having a solid QB should have been a proirity a little bit sooner either through the draft or a steal of a trade.

I would agree with this. Even if the team was happy with Jay in 2000, something should have been done because you need two QBs in this league. Ray Lucas didn't cut it, and the whole Brian Griese thing is kind of puzzling. I really expected that he would be back this year and Jay would be gone. I'm happy that Jay is still around because I think he solves the #2 QB question, but it still just doesn't quite fit if you ask me.

I feel optimistic on what AJ can do and I really hope he lights up Joe Robbie, but I can't help wondering what Wanny sees if Jay other than he knows the system. And with that being said Norv is gone so with system is going to change so why hold on to someone who thinks that he's a starter when he is really not. I guess Fiedler is Wanny's security blanket.

I really want to know what is up with the system. Is it staying the same as it was under Norv, or is it changing? If so, how much? I think Jay's value to the team greatly varies depending on that. I can't really suggest keeping Jay over getting a QB familiar with the system if there is going to be a big departure.

Call Jay a security blanket if you want, but it's tough to argue with a QB who has gotten the results he has. He won't be a terrible alternative if AJ sucks or if he gets hurt...

Wanny STILL has all the power, J will be under center opening day. His history with QBs in general and this one in particular and the way he saved Js a$$ and kept him on the roster indicate to me that j is here to start. The only thing that has changed in the management of this franchise is that Rick got GM. I believe wanny will do anything remotely within reason to spite wayne and rick including start J regardless of what happens in the pre season.

Spiting Wayne is not a smart thing to do. It's not like Dave didn't almost get fired just a couple of months back...

Back
Top Bottom