Do you think Fiedler will be are QB next year if he has another bad season in 2002? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think Fiedler will be are QB next year if he has another bad season in 2002?

Ah. The tragic flaw that some have when evaluating a QB. I see this about as much as I see technician being equated to finess when talking about offensive linemen.

The forty time of a player is an indication of the player's footspeed, not his foot quickness.

Foot quickness is important when setting up in the pocket. Foot speed is important when running.

Just because a player runs a 5.0 forty doesn't mean he will be a statue in the pocket.

The key to avoiding sacks has ALWAYS been the ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball quickly. It's an art that some teams are willing to overlook these days just because the talent level at the QB position in the NFL is so poor right now.

The pocket passing QB is still the way to go. A run first QB will never win the Superbowl.

We both know Jay is not a run first QB. He isn't like he is a special runner or anything.

Fiedler should not be sacked a lot in Norv's offense. He should always have the option to hit someone out of the backfield. That and the play action brought because of Williams, will help his case. If you want to believe Jay or not, but getting rid of the ball quickly is one of the things Jay does well.

Reading a defense is not something Jay does well though. Part of the reason you think Jay gets rid of the ball quickly is because he throws to his primary receiver 80% of the time without looking at his other progressions.

Jay is definitely more of a runner than a passer. As a passer, his fundamentals are poor. His technique is terrible. He has no presence in the pocket. When he knows he has the option that he can take off and run, he is at his highest comfort level.

Well, he was running most of the time cause the line couldn't sustain a block ;P

Fiedler improved as the year progressed. He throws the intermediate passes with good accuracy. There has to be a reason that he did so well (Best in the AFC statistically) in the 2nd half of the game.

About him being a runner over a passer. A passer wins games in the 4th quarter, not a runner. He had the most 'passing' TDs in the league in crunch time.

Dorsey will never be a pro style{{

Originally posted by KB21
You also have several fans at the Heat game that booed when Fiedler's face was put up on the big screen, not once, but twice.+

As far as comparing Fiedler and Dorsey, there really isn't much of a difference. Fiedler is a pumped up Steve Walsh whereas Dorsey is a 6-5 Steve Walsh.

Personaly, the guy I'm rooting for two years down the road is Tim Levcik. 6-6, 230 lbs, very strong arm. Classic drop back style passer, which is the type of QB I like.
qb, the speed in college football is 100% slower than the Pro's! Dorsey has no foot speed and needs alot of time to make decisions,, which in the NFL translates into alot of sacks .. Fiedler has come along way since 2000, his reads are better and in the last half of last season he really improved on his decision making. I really cannot understand how Fiedler can be held accountable for all the offensive ineptness last season ??? If you look at all the teams injury lists for last season, Miami had the most offensive starters either out for the season or prolonged stints for twisted knees, ankles, and arthroscopic surgeries !!! So if 5 or 6 starters are either gone for the season or (at most) play in only 8 to 12 games,,,, how can Fiedler be expected to produce and be effective with a big % of 2nd and 3rd stringers ??:confused: :rolleyes: :lol: :mad: Marino1983

Dorsey's problem isn't his feet. Again, passing ability is being ignored because the guy isn't a scrambler. Shame.

Dorsey has a good set in the pocket, and he does read the field very quickly. Dorsey's problem is his arm strength, or lack thereof. That's what is going to keep him from being drafted in the first round, not his inability to run a 4.6 forty. Dorsey floats his deep balls and doesn't get the velocity needed on the out patterns. Arm strength dropped Kurt Kittner from the 2nd to 5th round. Arm strength will drop Dorsey from the 1st to the 3rd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami take a flier on him in the third round, but he won't go in the first.

Jay's decisions got better because he had the option to run. All Chan told him to do was go through his first two reads and if they weren't open, run the ball. That's not how a starting QB should play in the NFL.

Norv's offense isn't going to give him that option of 2 reads and run. Jay is not only going to have to be dead on with his timing, but he's also going to have to go through 5 progressions extremely quickly so the pass can get off in time.

sometimes i don't think jay

had enough time for 2 reads!
Jay's decisions got better because he had the option to run. All Chan told him to do was go through his first two reads and if they weren't open, run the ball. That's not how a starting QB should play in the NFL.

unless that o-line gets better

i don't think all the RW's in the world are gonna make that much of a difference. the only one that could run without blocking, is barry sanders. if that guy could put up the big numbers in detroit, just think of what he could do in say, st louis!:rolleyes:

I remember the same thing being said about the Dallas Cowboys offensive line back in 1989. Curvin Richards was the RB, and Dallas couldn't run for crap. They didn't get their running game going till Emmitt Smith was drafted. Same line. Different RB. Different results.

Same thing will happen in Miami. With Ricky Williams in the backfield, suddenly, guys like Todd Wade, Jamie Nails, and Brent Smith will become household names.

It's a two way street. When you have a back that can hit holes hard and break tackles, you have an offensive line that looks a lot better. When you have a back doing those things, you have a line working harder at blocking for him. When you got a RB that can actually set up his blocks, you have got a line that looks better.

I like what I'm hearing from the OL. It seems they are going into this with a chip on their shoulder, and they are doing what it takes to become a better OL. Todd Wade is taking Judo in attempt to improve his hand useage (very important). Jamie Nails has shed over 60 lbs in attempt to get himself in shape and make this team. Leon Searcy is working as hard as any player on the team. Brent Smith and Mark Dixon haven't missed a day this offseason. Troy Andrew is working hard.

KB21..............

Originally posted by KB21
I remember the same thing being said about the Dallas Cowboys offensive line back in 1989. Curvin Richards was the RB, and Dallas couldn't run for crap. They didn't get their running game going till Emmitt Smith was drafted. Same line. Different RB. Different results.

Same thing will happen in Miami. With Ricky Williams in the backfield, suddenly, guys like Todd Wade, Jamie Nails, and Brent Smith will become household names.

It's a two way street. When you have a back that can hit holes hard and break tackles, you have an offensive line that looks a lot better. When you have a back doing those things, you have a line working harder at blocking for him. When you got a RB that can actually set up his blocks, you have got a line that looks better.

I like what I'm hearing from the OL. It seems they are going into this with a chip on their shoulder, and they are doing what it takes to become a better OL. Todd Wade is taking Judo in attempt to improve his hand useage (very important). Jamie Nails has shed over 60 lbs in attempt to get himself in shape and make this team. Leon Searcy is working as hard as any player on the team. Brent Smith and Mark Dixon haven't missed a day this offseason. Troy Andrew is working hard.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The o-line is approaching the offseason thus far with a definite chip on their shoulders so to speak. I think the acquisition of RW really brought this to a head.;)

i hate to be the pessimistic one

i'm all ready for a 2000 yd season from RW, but that line almost got lamar killed a few times. the defense almost got our handoffs!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Jay is better? Please. Dorsey's arm is better and more accurate.

Let Fiedler play agaisnt Temple, Rutgers and Syracuse and I bet Jay puts up good numbers also. Judge Dorsey's numbers by the competition he plays agaisnt.

Back
Top Bottom