Does anyone else hate ESPN? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does anyone else hate ESPN?

Everyone says they hate ESPN, but do you guys realize that ESPN and ESPN.com (yes, they are one and the same) have revolutionized sports for the fan. Some of you who are, say, 30 and older probably remember when the only sports coverage was a 30-second clip on the 11 o'clock news and an occasional broadcast on one of the big non-cable channels. Now, 24/7/365, there's something related to sports on, and now with ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPN Classic, and, for those who have it, ESPNU, along with ESPN Mobile and ESPN 360 and ESPN Insider and ESPN Zone and on and on and on...

...my point is, they may not be perfect, but virtually all of us would be lost without them.

I go to sleep off of ESPN News, and wake up on ESPN News.

I will say ESPNews is what SportsCenter USED to be.

I can watch that. They are good. And considering most of those anchors you don't know of are only making $30,000 a year and part-time employees, the people at ESPN (the mothership) should be ashamed of themselves.

RWhitney014 said:
Everyone says they hate ESPN, but do you guys realize that ESPN and ESPN.com (yes, they are one and the same) have revolutionized sports for the fan. Some of you who are, say, 30 and older probably remember when the only sports coverage was a 30-second clip on the 11 o'clock news and an occasional broadcast on one of the big non-cable channels. Now, 24/7/365, there's something related to sports on, and now with ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPN Classic, and, for those who have it, ESPNU, along with ESPN Mobile and ESPN 360 and ESPN Insider and ESPN Zone and on and on and on...

...my point is, they may not be perfect, but virtually all of us would be lost without them.

We wouldn't be lost without them. They were just lucky to come along at the early stages of the cable boom. ESPN is a clear case of a company that is LUCKY rather than GOOD.

OK, where to start. ESPN Classic wasn't even an original idea. They BOUGHT the "Classic" channel from someone else who started it and just put their EPSN name in front of it. Hardly original.

ESPN Zone is just a sports version of a Hard Rock cafe, again.....not groundbreaking.

If ESPN does their job, with SportsCenter, there is NO NEED FOR ESPN NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's get that clear. The reason there is a need for ESPNews is because SportsCenter isn't doing what it was set out to do. Show highlights, give game recaps and info, and important information. SportsCenter has turned into a combo of E! news Daily and Page 6 from the NY Post.

You must remember when ESPN first started it was a joke. They had nothnig. They aired Tractor Pulls and AWA Professional Wrestling. Then 2 things happened.
1) The Big East started airing basketball games on ESPN almost every night of the week during the winter. And you had the entire northeast (the biggest media markets) watching ESPN and these games. That put ESPN on the map as being somewhat legit.

2) They got the rights to 8 NFL primetime games a year. THIS, showed they could be legit and they weren't a total joke because of the airing of Pro Wrestling, etc. This brought them a national presences.

And hear me now, believe me later. With the start-ups like NFL NETWORK, NBA TV, TennisTV, Golf Network...etc. Within the next 10 years ESPN will lose a ton of programing and will hit a free-fall the likes nobody see's coming. There is already talk of College Conferences starting up their own year round networks. The Big10 and Big East are in talks to have their own networks up and running in the next 5 years or so.

What MTV is to music videos now (they don't air any) is what ESPN will be to sports in about 10 years. Trust me!

I like ESPNEWS, on non-stop and the sports ticker shows even during commercials.:D

Back
Top Bottom