Does Grier know who Shannahan wants? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Grier know who Shannahan wants?

So the real question....if Pitts, Chase and Smith are there at 6, do we try to trade down 1-3 spots to pick up more picks and still grab an elite pass catcher??

Absolutely YES.

If one of the big 4 receivers are there at 6, we could easily drop back 2 or 3 spots. The only caveat being, before we pull the trigger, Grier would make sure that the team sliding into 6 would not be selecting one of the Big 4.

Absolutely makes sense

We all know it’s a QB. I think the OP is asking if it’s reach, is Miami able to do more dealing?

I agree.

No potential trade will be summarily tossed away.

The important thing is that the cards are in Grier's hands; and he can certainly take advantage from either trading back for more picks or staying at #6.

The #6 pick is going to get more expensive as it's selection time comes near. Don't be surprised if we need to delay the selection to get a deal that satisfies the FO.

Draft day should be very exciting.

Last edited:
We gave up a helluva lot to move back up from 12 to 6. Frankly, the Eagles were in a position to screw us and they did because we really really wanted to draft a top weapon for Tua. It was very expensive but we did great on the initial trade and I assume that Grier is totally comfortable with that decision. I think we draft either Chase, Smith or Pitts because all were deemed to be elite. At position 6, at least one of the three will be available. Grier is betting on a perceived relative certainty of getting a top player and we thank Laremy Tunsil and Bill O'Brien as the Commissioner makes the announcement.

I thought I heard it's normally a "Common Courtesy" thing for them to disclose who they're moving up for in deals like this..far from required.
That may have been true in the past, but these days it's more of a negotiation point. If Shanahan was having trouble getting Grier to pull the trigger on #3 to #12, he probably offered up the clear and obvious knowledge that they were not targeting a pass catcher. Whether he freely admitted it was a QB or not is unclear. But in all liklihood ... Grier didn't need to hear it from Shanahan to know it, but it merely confirmed what he already knew.

We gave up a helluva lot to move back up from 12 to 6. Frankly, the Eagles were in a position to screw us and they did because we really really wanted to draft a top weapon for Tua. It was very expensive but we did great on the initial trade and I assume that Grier is totally comfortable with that decision. I think we draft either Chase, Smith or Pitts because all were deemed to be elite. At position 6, at least one of the three will be available. Grier is betting on a perceived relative certainty of getting a top player and we thank Laremy Tunsil and Bill O'Brien as the Commissioner makes the announcement.

The Eagles trade was agreed before the 49rs was triggered.

You can nitpick and look for flaws in any diamond. But the reality is the “net effect” of the moves. It was masterful.

Tunsil receives no credit for all of our draft capital earned. He did nothing at all. Grier did it, and he deserves all the credit.

Go back to the Tunsil trade thread, it’s amazing to see the amount of posters on this forum who “ripped” the move and called for Grier’s head in a box.

Here is a thread I started on the Tunsil trade, in 2019, interesting perspectives to look back at now:

Attachments

• 6F58CFE7-68D9-41C6-9E64-5EAE11ADA475.jpeg
    6F58CFE7-68D9-41C6-9E64-5EAE11ADA475.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 3
That may have been true in the past, but these days it's more of a negotiation point. If Shanahan was having trouble getting Grier to pull the trigger on #3 to #12, he probably offered up the clear and obvious knowledge that they were not targeting a pass catcher. Whether he freely admitted it was a QB or not is unclear. But in all liklihood ... Grier didn't need to hear it from Shanahan to know it, but it merely confirmed what he already knew.
Good deal. :cool:

The Eagles trade was agreed before the 49rs was triggered.

You can nitpick and look for flaws in any diamond. But the reality is the “net effect” of the moves. It was masterful.

Tunsil receives no credit for all of our draft capital earned. He did nothing at all. Grier did it, and he deserves all the credit.

Go back to the Tunsil trade thread, it’s amazing to see the amount of posters on this forum who “ripped” the move and called for Grier’s head in a box.

Here is a thread I started on the Tunsil trade, in 2019, interesting perspectives to look back at now:

I wasn't here back then but wow.

I assumed that's the case..of course if you tell them you want guy A and he's there and take someone else..that really would not give the team you traded with much faith to do a big time trade again..no matter if it's the player the other team actually wanted or not!
The GM community is actually pretty small, so reputation means a lot. Almost every GM is looking for a job at some point. So, while they don't mind being labelled as secretive, they do not want to be known as untrustworthy or two-faced. I suspect you're spot-on with your assessment that both Grier and Shanahan were honest even if they weren't completely revealing.

Gave up so much to trade up to to 3.
For QB. Obvious. Don't need to say anything.

I fail to see the purpose of you starting a thread for it.
I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious for you.

Yes, the 9ers are clearly taking a QB. The premise of this thread is based on them taking Mac, a QB thought by everyone to be a mid-late 1st round pick. Lance and Fields are considered top 10 prospects almost unanimously. By taking Mac, one of the "good" QB's slide to us.

Last edited:
It's actually pretty common in these types of trades for teams to disclose who their target is.

It's part of the trust factor when you are making a deal like this.

Grier is not moving if they are coming up for Chase or Pitts cause then getting back to 6 does not really help us.

For instance, when Ireland moved up to 3 to draft Dion Jordan he had to gurantee the Raiders "Guy" would still be there at 12 (our pick).

The Raiders guy was DJ Hayden, and he was there. Ireland did a terrific job moving up that far for just 1 second rounder.

But we all know how it worked out with Dion....

I'm sure the 9ers told Grier it's a QB.
Maybe that is the way it works in Fantasy Football but it certainly doesn’t work that way in the NFL.

The 49er’s were willing to give up this years #1 draft pick and their first round picks the next two years plus a third round pick in 2022 to move up to the 3rd pick. While it is fairly obvious the 49er’s moved up for a QB, I seriously doubt they told Grier who they plan to draft or even what position they are intending to draft.

As far as Ireland issuing a guarantee to the Raiders that the player they wanted to draft would still be on the board 9 picks after the Dolphins selected Dion is ridiculous. There is absolutely no way Ireland could have known what player the 8 teams between the Dolphins and Raiders were going to draft and therefore Ireland could not have guaranteed the Raiders their player would be on the board at 12.

Back
Top Bottom