Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie

Originally posted by Muck

Actually, the revenue that comes from the name rights to the stadium dwarfs the cost of new signage. The reason it hasn't been renamed is because a deal hasn't been reached. Plain and simple.

Uuh, right. That is pretty obvious but my point was, since pro player is bankrupt, there is no $$$ coming in for it right now so they will not speend $$$ to take down those signs til another deal is made.

Originally posted by ZOD
It's simple why we love Joe Robbie.

He brought football to Miami. He built championship teams in Miami. He built a stadium in Miami.

He did all this without having to embarrass the fans worldwide with a threat to pay for the stadium or else, as so many others have done.

THE STADIUM IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE JOE ROBBIE.
:stupid:

Real Miami Dolphin Fans will always and only call it JRS. I don't care what others call the stadium. All my friends and I always call it JOE ROBBIE STADIUM when we refer to it.

He was a class act who cared about creating a championship team in Miami.

Originally posted by Muck

Obviously, it's not going to be renamed "Joe Robbie".

Actually, the revenue that comes from the name rights to the stadium dwarfs the cost of new signage. The reason it hasn't been renamed is because a deal hasn't been reached. Plain and simple.

Actually a deal has been struck. The Dolphins can not rename the stadium (court order) because Pro Player (as a chapter 11 company) has listed the naming right as an asset.

You can not re-sell or re-negotiate deals for companies in chapter 11 or chapter 7 unless ....

a) the company is officially bankrupt and ceases to exist
b) the naming rights are being transfered back (to the holding company of ProPlayer Stadium)
c) the original contract has expired

Originally posted by Mr.Murder
Finally the mention of Danny Thomas, friends with Mr.Robbie whose hosptial (St.Jude) has done tremendous work for children. Name the stadium after Thomas or St.Jude, the endorsement money for nonprofit would be tremendous tax shelter to cover payroll for facility.
The work it would help with said Hospital would be inarguably good work. Win-win situation. Still would retain to JRS in that regard.
Finally a fresh field could be designed for pallets to be placed for an exclusive St.jude Bowl which would give the city TWO major bowl games for economic boost to match the great bowl games held there that often have Championship status upon them.

Extra bowl game would invite scores of revenue for the area . Charitable hospital is given free publicity to continue good work for those in need. The tradition of the pro team that plays there would still be honored by keeping the "inner circle" of friends/partners with the Robbie family as Dolphins supporters recognized.

Excellent idea, I don't know what the legal ramifications from that would be (if any).
I was thinking something along the lines of a company that buys the rights to rename the stadium could incorporate Joe Robbie's name in with it. Examples: "Generic product INC. presents Joe Robbie Stadium" or "Joe Robbie Stadium presented by Generic Product INC" This way the company gets their name visibally out their and they also keep the tradition alive by putting Mr Robbies name on it.
Problem solved?

Originally posted by carolinafinatic

It could be worse Wayne could sell it to the company he made his millions with Waste Management -

Miami Dolphins - playing in the Trash Can.

:D :D :D :D LMAO !!

Yes, St.Jude name incorprated with such, would still keep Joe robbie's influence indirectly tied to it. Csonka fans could do without the Robbie name since he ran him outta town, perhaps closer scrutiny would showothers deserve the recognition. Thomas helped the team under Robbie and his name keeps other works going on by helping kids.
A company that shows same kind of family commitment perhaps can add their name alongside Thjomas/Jude theme.The idea of a second college bowl game postseason in the Miami area would be final point to make.

Big shot in the arm for Miami business and tourism. Charitable organization will be helped far beyond dollar amounts, unmeasurable impact in that aspect. Dolphins stadium still retain financial clout for stadium name lease while still helping others at same time. The name lease will get additional PR with charitable organization and bowl game for postseason.

Win-win-win on three counts.

Originally posted by Ozzy

I don't think bingo got the first one. ;)

The field at Giants stadium had concrete poured and it was layed down in large squares, that were already rooted. Sounds exactly how he discribed the Stadium in Houston.

I'll buy that it is now a better version of it. But if it is not, it could IMO be worse than dirt itself.

I don't know the details of the turf, but there are factors that differ significantly between Giants stadium, Miami and Houston.

1) The Giants play in cold weather and Bermuda dies in the cold - New England's field sucks in the winter too.

2) Giants stadium field is the most unique in the NFL because it's played on virtually every week of the season (16) versus all the other fields that are played on 8 games. That wear and tear, coupled with bad weather makes for a bad field no matter what.

And, if Houston's field held up, why shouldn't Miami's?

Personally, I don't like them playing baseball on a football field. I call it Robbie field also, but the one error Robbie made was a lack of forsight in seeing that the trend was going to baseball only and football only stadiums. It really exploded just after Miami's was built. The "combo" stadiums were on their way out. They really don't work well. Beyond that, I'd try whatever to get off the dirt. It sucks playing on the dirt. They should check into it.

How about we name it Dan Marino Stadium? I'm sure that's a name we ALL can rally behind! :)

Um no, I don't believe in naming stadiums after living people. Streets, resturaunts, ect. yes but not stadiums.
Besides there isn't any money to be made by naming it after Dan, no revenue being brought in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Da 'Fins

I don't know the details of the turf, but there are factors that differ significantly between Giants stadium, Miami and Houston.

1) The Giants play in cold weather and Bermuda dies in the cold - New England's field sucks in the winter too.

2) Giants stadium field is the most unique in the NFL because it's played on virtually every week of the season (16) versus all the other fields that are played on 8 games. That wear and tear, coupled with bad weather makes for a bad field no matter what.

And, if Houston's field held up, why shouldn't Miami's?

Personally, I don't like them playing baseball on a football field. I call it Robbie field also, but the one error Robbie made was a lack of forsight in seeing that the trend was going to baseball only and football only stadiums. It really exploded just after Miami's was built. The "combo" stadiums were on their way out. They really don't work well. Beyond that, I'd try whatever to get off the dirt. It sucks playing on the dirt. They should check into it.

matter of fact, joe Robbie DID build it as a football only stadium. It was retrofitted to allow baseball after the Marlins were born and began play in '93. The first 6-7 yrs had no dirt on the field.

Name it the ACE after Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, he saved Marino from that transsexual police chief , and the Dolphin mascot helped...:eat: movie so bad it was almost good.
Much like your qb situation now.:goof: j/k

Back
Top Bottom