Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie

My two cents, if Joe Robbie didn't place a football team in Miami someone else would have. Joe Robbie didn't build a stadium with his own funds out of the goodness of his heart. He built it, and made huge profits from it. It was an investment, a dang good one. If you think there was any deeper more noble reason to it, check out your ticket stub. The proof is in the name, Pro Player. That's the name of the stadium, whether your fond childhood memories allow you acknowledge that fact or not. And if you need further proof, wait till Wonder Bread buys the naming rights. :)

Miami Dolphins at Wonder Bread stadium

Originally posted by plc001

It could be worse Wayne could sell it to the company he made his millions with Waste Management -

Miami Dolphins - playing in the Trash Can.

My two cents, if Joe Robbie didn't place a football team in Miami someone else would have. Joe Robbie didn't build a stadium with his own funds out of the goodness of his heart. He built it, and made huge profits from it. It was an investment, a dang good one. If you think there was any deeper more noble reason to it, check out your ticket stub. The proof is in the name, Pro Player. That's the name of the stadium, whether your fond childhood memories allow you acknowledge that fact or not. And if you need further proof, wait till Wonder Bread buys the naming rights. :)

And Dan Marino played for a paycheck and his ego. Does that mean I shouldn't appreciate his playing as a Phin? How about the '72 Phins? Think they were playing for you personally? I don't care if he brought the Phins here to pay for his womens underwear fetish. All I care about is that HE brought them here, so I owe HIM a thanks. And the fact that unlike EVERY other stadium it's age or newer in the NFL, he built a stadium using HSI money and not MINE. Other owners COULD have done the same, but didn't so AGAIN I owe him a thanks.

Originally posted by zachseau13

As opposed to bragging about the future?

The only team with bragging rights in the NFL right now is the Bucs.

But the Dolphins, and their fans, can and should be excited about the team that the Dolphins will field this year.

Did I say they should not be excited about this season?

You owe him a thanks for making a buck? You gave him that dollar, Joe owes you a thanks. And personally, as great a player as Marino was, and as great a team as the '72 Dolphins were, I don't owe them anything either. For the very reason you stated. They are paid players to perform a job. They are not heros (though the community service perform was mighty generous of them).

Thanks is something offered to someone who did something for you. You are fooling yourself if you think Joe Robbie built a stadium to fullfill a life long dream to bring football to the children of Miami. Dude brought football to Miami so he could pay the morgage on a big phat house. He has done nothing in my mind to deserve naming rights.

My point is, Joe Robbie has no more rights to the name of the stadium then anyone, or anything else.

My sense tells me that someone would surely have placed a team here, but it was Joe Robbie who did it, along with Danny Thomas. And he never made huge profits from it! He was deep in debt for having it built!

You do know that Joe Robbie had absolutely nothing to do with the name change right?

You owe him a thanks for making a buck? You gave him that dollar, Joe owes you a thanks. And personally, as great a player as Marino was, and as great a team as the '72 Dolphins were, I don't owe them anything either. For the very reason you stated. They are paid players to perform a job. They are not heros (though the community service perform was mighty generous of them).

Thanks is something offered to someone who did something for you. You are fooling yourself if you think Joe Robbie built a stadium to fullfill a life long dream to bring football to the children of Miami. Dude brought football to Miami so he could pay the morgage on a big phat house. He has done nothing in my mind to deserve naming rights.

My point is, Joe Robbie has no more rights to the name of the stadium then anyone, or anything else.

He did something for every Dolphins fan and resident of the south Florida area. He kept NFL football in Miami and built a stadium 100% out of his own pocket. He took personal loans and took personal financial RISK for the betterment of the sport and the city he loved. So much so because of his decision to build the stadium he left his children much less than if he did not build that stadium. That’s how much he cared about the NFL staying in the Miami area.

Just because someone is rich does not mean they do not love other ppl, and that they do not take personal risks financially every day. We only owe him the respect he gave each and every Miami Dolphins fan and resident of the south Florida area.

Oliver...

Joe Robbie made a good buisiness decision by placing a team in Miami. And everyone, every single day looks for ways to better themselves. That is a way of life, unless your lifelong dream is a cardboard clubhouse under the interstate.

Your point is from a buisiness stand point, and one that a lot of fans dont give a damn about! It's not about money to the fans. It's about loving the game of football!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oliver

He did something for every Dolphins fan and resident of the south Florida area. He kept NFL football in Miami and built a stadium 100% out of his own pocket. He took personal loans and took personal financial RISK for the betterment of the sport and the city he loved. So much so because of his decision to build the stadium he left his children much less than if he did not build that stadium. That’s how much he cared about the NFL staying in the Miami area.

Just because someone is rich does not mean they do not love other ppl, and that they do not take personal risks financially every day. We only owe him the respect he gave each and every Miami Dolphins fan and resident of the south Florida area.

Oliver...

It's twu yes it is...:D

"Joe Robbie Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins, is renowned for being almost completely privately built. Joe Robbie put up almost $12 million of his own money and borrowed an additional $90 million from three banks."

The stadium finished construction in 1987, Joe Robbie passed away in 1990. The stadium was sold by his heirs to Huizenga who sold the naming rights.

The Dolphins were a moderately profitable venture for Robbie, but he never made back his investment on the stadium until after his death.

Thanks for the history lesson. I think we are experiencing differences of a generation gap here. For as long as I can remember it's been Pro Player, and with the way teams these days change stadium names, I don't care to much what they name Pro Player. As long as it isn't any of the aforementioned.

You said, Dolphin fans don't care about the business aspects of the game. But to me, when I think about how Pro Player could be renamed, that's all that is. A business decision.

I had heard Joe Robbie was kind of a jerk anyway. I could be wrong, I haven't read up on him.

By the way, I'm the biggest dolphins fan ever :)

1227 has a great idea, at times we do not agree but this is a fiscally sound and worker(Player) safe idea. Only complaint this fan has with those fields, look at how pallets are set, they drain a certain direction, seems the things dont sit perfectly level (Sam Adams could make it cave in). Originally the idea was used for astroturf and turf fields like this would have differing thread grain directions torward field edges to drain rain efficiently. The result being that seams where sections combined would go from traction grain direction to a matted grain to flow water other way change so a player on wet turf would lose a plant foot across varied turf pallets .

Grass pallets cure that problem with natural surface for consistent traction, the team could even place varying turfs for the type of teams to play (harder turf pallet for speed team, thicker softer pallet for power team).

All of that is overkill , compared to the obvious benefit:injury reduction. The cost-benefit is not comparative at all with the idea of keeping someone like Ricky at 100% to keep full career. Insurance companies woul probably underwrite such an endeavor in terms of future savings for their clients. Players union representative Upshaw would probably encourage such as well (compare Giants gress stadium for player injury problems).

Finally the mention of Danny Thomas, friends with Mr.Robbie whose hosptial (St.Jude) has done tremendous work for children. Name the stadium after Thomas or St.Jude, the endorsement money for nonprofit would be tremendous tax shelter to cover payroll for facility.
The work it would help with said Hospital would be inarguably good work. Win-win situation. Still would retain to JRS in that regard.
Finally a fresh field could be designed for pallets to be placed for an exclusive St.jude Bowl which would give the city TWO major bowl games for economic boost to match the great bowl games held there that often have Championship status upon them.

Extra bowl game would invite scores of revenue for the area . Charitable hospital is given free publicity to continue good work for those in need. The tradition of the pro team that plays there would still be honored by keeping the "inner circle" of friends/partners with the Robbie family as Dolphins supporters recognized.

Thanks for the history lesson. I think we are experiencing differences of a generation gap here. For as long as I can remember it's been Pro Player, and with the way teams these days change stadium names, I don't care to much what they name Pro Player. As long as it isn't any of the aforementioned.

You said, Dolphin fans don't care about the business aspects of the game. But to me, when I think about how Pro Player could be renamed, that's all that is. A business decision.

I had heard Joe Robbie was kind of a jerk anyway. I could be wrong, I haven't read up on him.

By the way, I'm the biggest dolphins fan ever :)

Ever since the name change I've called the stadium Pro Robbie! I know that's not the name, but a lot of people actually call it this.

As for the buisiness part, yes we the fans contemplate on what the name will be, not how much the Dolphins owner will make! It's not buisiness to most fans I know of. It's all about the Team.

I for one would never want the stadium named for example Net Zero Stadium. The rumors were stirring around for a while that it would be.

And if you think Joe Robbie was labled a jerk, you should go to an event that Wayne Huizenga attends at the stadium!

At the going away party he threw for Marino, the crowd booed him so bad that Marino himself asked the crowd not too....

I'm glad you one of the biggest Dolhins fans ever btw. That's what I think I am as well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom