Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doing my best to get that dirt out of Joe Robbie

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Take a look at Reliant Stadium. I'm 99% sure that the stuff they used in Giants stadium is layed down as sod, not carried in pallets that can be switched out. Reliant stadium looks GREAT!! And the surface is much more playable than ours during baseball season.

They may have modified it, but im pretty sure thats the same stuff.

I remember reading how the squares could be replaced. It was something they had to do 3 or 4 times during the year.

Originally posted by 13isgr81

Maybe FOTL was popular underwear but would you want your fins playing in the Fruit of the Loom Bowl...?

I just don't think the Name of that beautiful stadium should come from a something that holds my junk!

;) Or...your racing stripe!!!

Originally posted by Barbarian

Bingo on both accounts.

I don't think bingo got the first one. ;)

The field at Giants stadium had concrete poured and it was layed down in large squares, that were already rooted. Sounds exactly how he discribed the Stadium in Houston.

I'll buy that it is now a better version of it. But if it is not, it could IMO be worse than dirt itself.

I don't see why it should matter if you do part of a field or all of it. The pallets are bolted down to concrete, which is what sits underneath Joe Robbie now. Heck, paletize the whole corner of the field if that's what's needed to get rid of the dirt. It's still 1/4 of the cost of Reliant Stadium, and STILL less than it costs when you lose a player.

JRS tears up the field as soon as the baseball season is over. They change that field TWO or THREE times a year. They totally dig it up and put an entirely new surface, including the dirt that goes under it each time.

Although that dirt gets placed on top of cement, I don't see how you would place a portion segmented and a portion regular grass system. There would end up being a seem, and I would tend to think that would be more harmful than the current situation.

I doubt their descision making process even revolves about the cost of what type of field they use.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Muck
Joe wanted to keep the franchise in the family. So he left it to his kids......who promptly got rid of it after he died. :rolleyes: I also remember seeing Tim Robbie's mugshots in the papers back then too.

Poor estate planning on JRS part. They had to sell the stadium and the Dolphins to pay their taxes from their father dieing. They had no choice.

Oliver...

I called into 940 on Tuesday and asked Ethan Skolnik why the Phins have to suffer with the Marlins dirt, and especially with the injuries it causes, when teams like the Texans have modular fields which negate such problems. In a nutshell, Reliant Stadiums field is made up of pallets of sod that can be replaced. Heck , they keep a spare field nearby which they can completely swap out in a matter of hours. For the cost of probably ONE injury settlement, we could have the dirt field made modular and not have to suffer through it for the first third of each season. Ethan promised to ask around and look into which may or may not mean anything, but at least it's a glimmer of hope. I'm sure it's too late for this season, but maybe this could be the last season we have to deal with it.

That was you! I heard that LOL damn good question, it cant be that much $$

Originally posted by Oliver

JRS tears up the field as soon as the baseball season is over. They change that field TWO or THREE times a year. They totally dig it up and put an entirely new surface, including the dirt that goes under it each time.

Although that dirt gets placed on top of cement, I don't see how you would place a portion segmented and a portion regular grass system. There would end up being a seem, and I would tend to think that would be more harmful than the current situation.

I doubt their descision making process even revolves about the cost of what type of field they use.

Oliver...

I never knew they replaced it two or three times a year. Is that the full year, or during football?

I do know one thing about the baseball field though. It has two small sections of astro turf around third base and home base.

Originally posted by Ozzy

I don't think bingo got the first one. ;)

The field at Giants stadium had concrete poured and it was layed down in large squares, that were already rooted. Sounds exactly how he discribed the Stadium in Houston.

I'll buy that it is now a better version of it. But if it is not, it could IMO be worse than dirt itself.

The difference is depth, while Giants stadium has very shallow turf squares, Reliant stadium has much deeper and much harder to uproot squares.

Think laying tiles side by side vs laying bricks side by side. The tiles will slip much more easily than the bricks will. (it's a weird analogy, but I think it gets the point across.)

I never knew they replaced it two or three times a year. Is that the full year, or during football?

I do know one thing about the baseball field though. It has two small sections of astro turf around third base and home base.

One time when I went to upgrade my seats for the Dolphins, I happened to go when the field was torn up. I asked the sales person why they did that. She explained to me, they do it all the time. They try and do it as often as possible. At least what she told me was the type of grass they use only take 7-10 days for it to be fully rooted. The drainage system needs to be maintained, and that is the main reason why they remove all the grass and dirt as often as they do.

That day they had brown dirt half way thru the stadium, and the other was showing cement. It was a scary lil sight. I've also read a few articles about what they do as soon as baseball is done. As soon as they get a 7-10 day window to do it they do it.

Another lil factoid about the field is the pitchers mound drops down and pops up. It's like a lil stage. It's amazing the things they do today, and how short of a time period they can do it in.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Barbarian

The difference is depth, while Giants stadium has very shallow turf squares, Reliant stadium has much deeper and much harder to uproot squares.

Think laying tiles side by side vs laying bricks side by side. The tiles will slip much more easily than the bricks will. (it's a weird analogy, but I think it gets the point across.)

Thus a modified version. Thanks! Now my next question would be is Giants stadium following suit with this new version?

That's a stadium we play in regularly. Although Houston is reachable this year. :D

Originally posted by Oliver

Poor estate planning on JRS part. They had to sell the stadium and the Dolphins to pay their taxes from their father dieing. They had no choice.

Oliver...

Did not know that. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Maybe FOTL was popular underwear but would you want your fins playing in the Fruit of the Loom Bowl...?

I just don't think the Name of that beautiful stadium should come from a something that holds my junk!

Again, I use the analogy..."Does NBC sell appliances (GE)??". Pro Player was a seperate entity to FOTL. Underwear has nothing to do with Pro Player.

FOTL is not relevant to my point. I was just making the point that FOTL was popular "after 1227 said otherwise". :)

Originally posted by Dolfan02
PrimeTime,
What language is that you're speaking?? I though we spoke English on this forum.

It is English....

I didn't call you out though, so I do not see the point of you calling me out. I'll report it.

Because Joe Robbie is the only reason the Miami Dolphins exist!! And he funded that stadium with no help from any of us fans! It gave the Miami Dolphins the most elite stadium at that time, one that still ranks among the best! And he did it for his love of this team, so much so, that it darn near made him go bankrupt!

But of course you being 15/16 could care less about Dolphins History right?

Right...I care about now...not what happened in the past.

Play nice, guys. No need take pot shots. Why don't we educate instead of insult.

Back
Top Bottom