Dolphins Bring in Sean Taylor for Visit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Bring in Sean Taylor for Visit

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
The article posted in the main page about Stuart Schweigert coming in was a diary piece about the visiting day that we had last week. What I found most interesting was that we only brought 17 guys in instead of the 20 that we are allowed, and that 6 of the 17 were defensive backs. Now we know that 2 of the 6 were Schweigert and Utah's Arnold Parker. What I have subsequently found out is that Sean Taylor was another.

Now if Rick pulled off a move up to get Taylor, I would be a seriously happy camper. The weight in the issue is Ogunleye. The target team HAS to be Washington - a team with just 1 pick in the entire draft and nothing at defensive end. And a team in the position to which Taylor should come off the board.

I just wonder.........

Last edited by a moderator:
S.Taylor would be fantastic if the Dolphins could get him but at what cost?
The fins #1 and Ogun.
The fins #1 and future #1 or #1's
I would rather keep Ogun and go after a safety sometime in the draft.
With the NFL going to be cracking down more on CB's with no contact after 5yds it becomes clear the Fins need to keep Ogun.
If Ogun leaves then the Fins only have 1 true pass rusher J.Taylor.And the Fins DT's are not that good at rushing the QB.
So with the no contact rule being inforced more it should be a must for the Fins to resign Ogun to a long term contract.

Wow that's very interesting! I'm not big on giving up Wale for a 14th and a risky pick, but now you're talking the 5th pick and a shot at a guy like Taylor, now i'm intetrested.
A player of Taylors calibure could make the secondary stronger and give the D-line more of an opertunity to get to the QB, i.e. coverage sacks, make a guy like D-Bow a better chance to get sack.

I wonder what kinda deal it will take?

Originally posted by 4THand10
S.Taylor would be fantastic if the Dolphins could get him but at what cost?
The fins #1 and Ogun.
The fins #1 and future #1 or #1's
I would rather keep Ogun and go after a safety sometime in the draft.
With the NFL going to be cracking down more on CB's with no contact after 5yds it becomes clear the Fins need to keep Ogun.
If Ogun leaves then the Fins only have 1 true pass rusher J.Taylor.And the Fins DT's are not that good at rushing the QB.
So with the no contact rule being inforced more it should be a must for the Fins to resign Ogun to a long term contract.

This is also a very good point, I brought this point up shortly after the owners meetings, it makes for a tough decision on Ricks part.

The trade of Ogun and the 20th pick for the 5th pick might just work....
It has been said that the Skins are likely to move down and if they would they would want to be in position for a de and a lb.... a 20th pick they could get sumbody like vilma or d.j. williams possibly. I dont know unless they traded with sumbody around 14 if they would b able to get a quality de like udeze or w. smith so this trade might be the best option for both teams

You don't trade impact defensive ends for safeties.

While Sean Taylor is a great player, he's a safety. He will never impact the pro game like a great defensive end will. Ogunleye is a great defensive end.

Just give Ogunleye the money he's due. He was looking for a long term deal last year, and had Miami given it to him then, they would have gotten him locked up at a much cheaper price.

Now I am hearing that the Giants are trying to trade up with San Diego to get Manning... which means Gallery could drop to #5.. in which case I would trade ogun to get Gallery...

Originally posted by dolfannjb
The trade of Ogun and the 20th pick for the 5th pick might just work....
It has been said that the Skins are likely to move down and if they would they would want to be in position for a de and a lb.... a 20th pick they could get sumbody like vilma or d.j. williams possibly. I dont know unless they traded with sumbody around 14 if they would b able to get a quality de like udeze or w. smith so this trade might be the best option for both teams

O-Gun and the 20th pick for the fifth is too much. I'm thinking O-Gun and the 20th for the 5th and a high round pick next year, possibly a second.

I dont think there is any deal with Washington in the works. The Skins are maxed out and cannot afford another long term contract. I think the Phins are anticiating that Taylor will fall comne draft day due to his attitude and poor pro day. If he falls out of the top 10 (possible), they may consider moving up to snag him (dont know how, though Id love to know what Spielman is planning).

I think what is much more likely is Spielman is covering his bases in case something happens between now and the draft where Sean Taylor ends up on the board at #20. Randy Moss made a dramatic fall on draft day...but what I'm thinking of is what if like, tomorrow, Sean Taylor works out for a team and tears his ACL or something. Or what if a last minute story comes out that someone is coming out accusing Taylor of rape or something, or anything to do with drugs. Any number of dramatic things could happen between now and draft day where we end up seeing Taylor on the board.

Also, what about 2 or 3 years down the road, wherever Taylor heads off to, something bad happens...he ticks off the team or the team ticks him off. Maybe if our scouts hadn't done homework on Ricky Williams and David Boston during their drafts, they would not be phins now. Lastly, its not like Miami "flew him" into town. He's from University of Miami. They just probably said to him "hey Sean, wanna come out get some free dinner?"

Taylor would be sweet but not with our only current first rounder. Now Ogun for Taylor would be pretty cool. With us still picking up Cary/Andrews with #20.

If we can make a trade for #5 pick then why wouldn't we cross our fingers for Gallery? I don't know if he'll drop that far but maybe seeing as how I still think the Chargers will take a wr instead of Manning.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think what is much more likely is Spielman is covering his bases in case something happens between now and the draft where Sean Taylor ends up on the board at #20. Randy Moss made a dramatic fall on draft day...but what I'm thinking of is what if like, tomorrow, Sean Taylor works out for a team and tears his ACL or something. Or what if a last minute story comes out that someone is coming out accusing Taylor of rape or something, or anything to do with drugs. Any number of dramatic things could happen between now and draft day where we end up seeing Taylor on the board.

Also, what about 2 or 3 years down the road, wherever Taylor heads off to, something bad happens...he ticks off the team or the team ticks him off. Maybe if our scouts hadn't done homework on Ricky Williams and David Boston during their drafts, they would not be phins now. Lastly, its not like Miami "flew him" into town. He's from University of Miami. They just probably said to him "hey Sean, wanna come out get some free dinner?"

Very good insight. I agree. Your take on it seems to be the most likely scenario.

Originally posted by Unconquered
Taylor>Gallery

I would trade Ogun and a later pick or a higher pick in next years draft to get him.

Games are won in the trenches.. not with safties. If we were in a position to take Gallery or Taylor I take Gallery every day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom