Dolphins Building The Offensive Line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Building The Offensive Line

having overpriced players means nothing if you don't win. Having said that, the Saints have one of the highest paid OL's in the league, and they are doing great. The Pats have one of the lowest paid, and are doing great.

The final 4 teams in the NFL are all offensive teams. Their defenses aren't all that great, minus the Rams. Its clear that offense is the direction that the NFL is headed in, no longer defense.

We just need two guards. Tunsil, James, and Brendel/Swanson at C are fine.

You are assuming we re-sign James, which I would prob be for. But I would much prefer an elite C, than replacing the G's. Sitton can hopefully stay healthy for a season, and maybe Davis improves. And don't get me wrong, I am all for replacing our G's, I just think C is far more important in the long run.

You are assuming we re-sign James, which I would prob be for. But I would much prefer an elite C, than replacing the G's. Sitton can hopefully stay healthy for a season, and maybe Davis improves. And don't get me wrong, I am all for replacing our G's, I just think C is far more important in the long run.

Funny I see the OL as a very important area needed for success. Have no fear or problem if they went out and got a C and a RG and a RT of improved ability, in fact I wish they would..

On offense theres 5 guys on the OL almost half the offense they are crucial for the functioning of the other 6s success....critical enough to deem important anyway possible to up grade as wise.... especially when they are talking about a Re-Build....

While I agree with a lot of what's been said on this thread, the o-line in NE gets a lot of help from Brady getting rid of the ball so fast. Brady will throw those short passes so quick so then the defense starts to stay back to defend those and boom, they hit you with the run game so coaching has a lot to do with it but also play calling matters and having a QB like Brady helps a lot.
Dan used to make our o-line looked great as he used to get rid of the ball so fast too. You need to draft talent but you also need to coach them and help them with the play calling.
This season our QB would get sack time and again and yet Gase wouldn't call a draw or a screen to the RB. It'd be the same plays over and over so the defense knew what was coming. That doesn't help the O-line at all.

Danny is 100% right. A ton of it is the QB and then it's a system under which the QB can excel. Gase never did that for Tannehill imo. Tannehills strengths were throwing on the run and using his legs to get some first downs. Gase never changed it up to help him. He let Tannehill get killed back there, especially the last couple of games. We need a new QB and a whole new offensive scheme.

This front office has been swinging and missing on OL for a long, long time. In FA and the draft. Fix the scouting and front office issues first. You can find starters in the mid to late rounds but they usually take years to develop. Sometimes they bounce around the league for a few years and then get a starting job in year 3 or 4 or later. Very few are day 1 starters.

NE is the exception. Not the rule. Look at some of the other highly ranked OL's around the league.

Some of these teams can afford to spend high picks on OL because they have or had a QB in place.

Pittsburgh
LT undrafted
LG undrafted
C 1st round
RG 1st round
RT 2nd round

Dallas
LT 1st
LG 2nd
C 1st
RG 1st
RT would have been a 1st (La'el Collins)

Rams
LT 2nd
LG 2nd
C 6th
RG 7th
RT 2nd

Colts
LT 1st
LG 1st
C 1st
RG 4th
RT 2nd

Saints
LT 3rd
LG 1st
C 2nd
RG 3rd
RT 1st

While I agree with a lot of what's been said on this thread, the o-line in NE gets a lot of help from Brady getting rid of the ball so fast. Brady will throw those short passes so quick so then the defense starts to stay back to defend those and boom, they hit you with the run game so coaching has a lot to do with it but also play calling matters and having a QB like Brady helps a lot.
Dan used to make our o-line looked great as he used to get rid of the ball so fast too. You need to draft talent but you also need to coach them and help them with the play calling.
This season our QB would get sack time and again and yet Gase wouldn't call a draw or a screen to the RB. It'd be the same plays over and over so the defense knew what was coming. That doesn't help the O-line at all.
Yeah any O-line man will look good in New England when you can hold without penalties and Brady gets rid of the ball so fast and probably has the best pocket awareness in the league.

I can't see OLine in the first round this year under any circumstances (if we don't trade down from 13).

I wish you guys and the local media would stop talking this tank for 2020 stuff. What has the Dolphins done the last 16 years to be tanking now? As far as I'm concerned, they have been tanking since 2004. What has it gotten us? You want to flush 2019 season down the toilet again? Some of you have no standards whatsoever. I want to win, and to win, this team must start with a good QB. The Dolphins can and must get that QB THIS YEAR. I am not willing to sit through a season and watching this team lose 12 or 13 games. That's ridiculous.

I'd follow the talent in the draft. That is how the best teams do it. The draft is loaded on the defensive line and Miami needs so much help there. Honestly, the only player currently on the line that I like as a starter is Vincent Taylor. I'd probably go defensive line in the first and second and then look middle rounds for offensive lineman. If a qb the team likes is there at #13 that kind of trumps everything.

Saying that. I'd sign James long-term. I like Tunsil and James as the bookends on the line. I'd also keep Sitton. That essentially means the team would need to find a starting center in the draft.

I'd prefer a new pro bowl C if we were going that direction early in the draft, over a G. I don't mind keeping Sitton another year at LG if we have to.

My gut tells me at this point we will be going DL heavy early in the draft, but we will have to see how FA goes.

What do you mean keeping Sitton for another year? He got hurt on the first game! He's got an injury history and he's too old, why sign him again when we couldn't even get but a single game out of him last year? That's exactly the type of signing that got Tannenbum and Gase fired, it contributed anyways. Doesn't matter if he's a good player if he's not available.

Although I would love to get this offensive line fixed, I can't take another year of getting the ball ran down our ass. Although the oline has been bad it at least has some pieces that make it bearable to watch . Tunsil, sitton, Swanson make the left side ok. James probably needs to be cut because of cap reasons but he isnt terrible. Jesse Davis is serviceable. Larsen has to be replaced.

The dline has basically nothing that makes me excited (Taylor maybe). Wake is old and shouldn't be playing every down. I lost count at 3,662, the amount of times Quinn was completely ran/pushed up the field and making no impact whatsoever. Branch gone. Harris backup. Godchaux should probably be a backup/rotational piece. Spence backup.

This draft has a load of D-line talent. We should take advantage of that in the first two rounds at least unless a prime CB or LB falls to us at 13. Instead of looking for oline in a mediocre oline draft how about we take advantage of this bumper crop of Dlinemen coming out. Miami usually doesn't take this approach even though its pretty obvious. Don't miss the run on defensive talent this year.

If they have their eye on a QB....like say Haskins, we would have to hope no one trades above 6 or outbids us for TB's pick at 5. That would cost us 13 & 48 and possibly swapping 78 to get 70 back to even out the value. Also have to hope Oakland doesn't take a QB.

What do you mean keeping Sitton for another year? He got hurt on the first game! He's got an injury history and he's too old, why sign him again when we couldn't even get but a single game out of him last year? That's exactly the type of signing that got Tannenbum and Gase fired, it contributed anyways. Doesn't matter if he's a good player if he's not available.

Bc I thought we signed him to a 2-yr contract that would carry dead $, but i could be wrong. I certainly didn't mean re-sign him to a future deal. My main point was C is more important than a G imo, so that is where I would start the OL rebuild.

The last 2 to 3 years we’ve been told by many pundits in here that the line was fine and it was the quarterbacks fault for the lines play. We were told we just need a new quarterback and everything will be fine. The ones that have been saying we need to fix the offense of line get it.

We started out OK last year, but injuries exposed how seriously lacking the offense and defense were in depth.

Back
Top Bottom