Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Could Have A Chance At Getting Haskins

Apparently Nostradamus has taken up residence in South Florida

Nick Foles would've been a lot higher if he didn't possess the worse athleticism of all. I wanted him for Miami in the first if his foot speed was discounted. Besides that, Weeden was a miss and I also made the mistake of dismissing Wilson simply because of height and didn't properly evaluate him.

I have my way of evaluating which is better than your team. When Tannehill was a consensus first rounder in 2012, I had him in the fifth along with Griffin. Cousins and Keenum in the third, Foles in the fourth, and Osweiler being undraftable. Since, the only qb that could've been easily acquired that showed franchise potential was Garopollo whom I wanted them to draft.

Even doing this in an amateurish way, I've learned to trust myself over a merry band of dumb experts in Davie.

Griffin...as in RGIII...the Heisman Trophy winner...the ROY?

eh, I don't think he's a game changer

I'd rather draft a top 2020 qb than roll the dice on haskins develophing.

Tua, Fromm, Love, Herbert

4 better options

Any game changers there?

Tua and Fromm are the prohibitive favorites...but what would they look like if they had to actually carry those teams like Haskins had to with Ohio State?

Agree. If a guy is a Ryan Leaf type bust, you have to move on immediately, but in most cases, you can't realistically make that judgment after 1 year.

Certainly not if the team around him is talent challenged, installing a new offensive system, etc as the Phins are.

That's the over riding reason I am in favor of passing on QB in the early rounds this year.

If you can't field a competent O-line, you are dooming a young QB to failure.
Right and also, if you draft Haskins then feel he's not the guy how much will you get back in a trade? Look at Arizona. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd for Rosen and they might have to settle for a 3rd.

Very true, Danny. But,

“You gotta know when to hold ‘em
know when to fold ‘em
know when to walk away
know when to run.”

I applaud Arizona for not taking the “you’re not suppose to do that” approach and do what they are about to do.

And you can look at the #1 pick backup as Jesus Christ what a waste or Jesus Christ we have 2 ones on the roster, one continuing to learn while he sits.

But I’m with you. I believe it would be a waste even though it wouldn’t stop me from doing it if I were the GM. 2 first round picks, even if consecutively, would be forgiven if you find your franchise QB. Heck, it would be celebrated.
I hear you. I just would rather have one QB and use that other first round pick on a player to help out that QB....lol

Nick Foles would've been a lot higher if he didn't possess the worse athleticism of all. I wanted him for Miami in the first if his foot speed was discounted. Besides that, Weeden was a miss and I also made the mistake of dismissing Wilson simply because of height and didn't properly evaluate him.

"This was something I heard a while ago, then forgot, then heard again, then figured I should save, then finally remembered as the Redskins began preparing for a second go-round with the Eagles on Sunday."

"Philadelphia’s quarterback, Nick Foles, was once a Georgetown recruit. A basketball recruit. That’s weird."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rgetown/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4630c0983be7

I hear you. I just would rather have one QB and use that other first round pick on a player to help out that QB....lol

Oh, dude, I’m with you.

Using 2 back to back means we really, really **** the bed.

I don't rate run-first qbs very highly. Accuracy was all over the place in college so he relied on his legs. He dominated for a couple of years of lower level competition with his mobility without a serious injury. Look what happened when he tried doing it at the highest level while playing more games.

"This was something I heard a while ago, then forgot, then heard again, then figured I should save, then finally remembered as the Redskins began preparing for a second go-round with the Eagles on Sunday."

"Philadelphia’s quarterback, Nick Foles, was once a Georgetown recruit. A basketball recruit. That’s weird."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rgetown/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4630c0983be7

Have you seen Nick Foles move? His 5.14 40 is slower than many linemen.

On nfl.com is a part of his evaluation profile:
"Weaknesses
Mobility has been the Achilles heel for Foles and will likely continue to be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend, but he is not going to out-run any defenders at the next level. This can sometimes effect his set-up, as it can be uncoordinated at times, although rarely affects his actual pass. There are times when the ball can get away from him when throwing deep, and he has struggled with accuracy there. His release is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball is somewhat questioned, as he can be slow to get rid of the ball and scramble into trouble."

Giants reportedly like Daniel Jones and now that they have the #17 pick from Cleveland they don't need to reach for a QB at #6. I like Haskins but I would trade a lot to move up for him.

I don't rate run-first qbs very highly. Accuracy was all over the place in college so he relied on his legs. He dominated for a couple of years of lower level competition with his mobility without a serious injury. Look what happened when he tried doing it at the highest level while playing more games.

Look what happened when his old-school coach put him back in the game with one working leg you mean...

Not that I agree with skillskill's evaluation of QBs, but the track record of Heisman winning QBs is pretty underwhelming at the next level.

That points to the vast difference of the collegiate vs pro game. A good talent evaluator is worth his weight in gold. There is a lot more to it than college stats, particularly so at that position.

As to ROY, the very thing that won him that award was ultimately his demise.

People are gun shy on Haskins bc the lack of experience and he isn’t fleet of foot

The mental game is there though. In bunches. And he improved physically as the season went on. Throw on the northwestern tape

He’s not a finished product yet. I wouldn’t sell the farm for him the way I would Murray, but I think he’s gonna be a much much better NFL qb than he’s getting credit for at this point

The butter ain’t done churning though. He needs some more time

Run first?
Have you seen Nick Foles move? His 5.14 40 is slower than many linemen.

On nfl.com is a part of his evaluation profile:
"Weaknesses
Mobility has been the Achilles heel for Foles and will likely continue to be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend, but he is not going to out-run any defenders at the next level. This can sometimes effect his set-up, as it can be uncoordinated at times, although rarely affects his actual pass. There are times when the ball can get away from him when throwing deep, and he has struggled with accuracy there. His release is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball is somewhat questioned, as he can be slow to get rid of the ball and scramble into trouble."

You have to make up your mind...

Either you value mobility and 40 times, as you are doing here against Foles...or you don't value 40 times, as you did against RGIII. What you said was that he wasn't athletic. He was recruited to Georgetown...among other D1 schools for basketball. One of the most athletic sports on the books.

Nick Foles judgement with the ball can be condensed into two situations...his memorable season with Philly the 1st go 'round...and his Super Bowl run with Philly his 2nd. With the exception of Marino, have we ever had a QB with such "judgement"?

Back
Top Bottom