Dolphins cut salaries of employees | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins cut salaries of employees

Your issue shouldn't be with Ross personally, it should be with the NFL owners in general. Over 80% of NFL owners have cut salaries just like Ross did. Some though did it a month or two ago and some did way more than 20%. Let's not make this an anti-Ross argument, because it isn't like he is one of 32 owners that did this, he is one of 26 that did this.

So what if other owners did? Ross didn't HAVE to cut the salaries, especially considering that he is the 2nd RICHEST owner in the NFL. The money he is saving from these cost cutting measures are a drop in the bucket to him. He would still get a profit from the Dolphins with or without these cuts.

Please don't let your fanboyism get in the way of calling out the owner when he does something egregiously wrong and out of character.

Ross has already shown his lack of character once already earlier this offseason with the Sparano / Harbaugh fiasco. This just solidifies the fact that Ross is both incompetent and lacks the people skills and common sense necessary to be an effective NFL owner.

Welcome to capitalism. Not sure if the Irish banking crisis was news in the U.S, but if I was to tell you about it you would not believe me. The taxpayer is now footing the €85 billion bank bailout given by the IMF to Irish banks. It's just how the capitalist system works...:(

capitalism? really? how bout world banking *******s who rely on US to print money while the US and the world spend money they dont have! I suppose the answer is obama and communism...cant wait to move to cuba. its sunny there....oh boy,

So what if other owners did? Ross didn't HAVE to cut the salaries, especially considering that he is the 2nd RICHEST owner in the NFL. The money he is saving from these cost cutting measures are a drop in the bucket to him. He would still get a profit from the Dolphins with or without these cuts.

Please don't let your fanboyism get in the way of calling out the owner when he does something egregiously wrong and out of character.

Ross has already shown his lack of character once already earlier this offseason with the Sparano / Harbaugh fiasco. This just solidifies the fact that Ross is both incompetent and lacks the people skills and common sense necessary to be an effective NFL owner.
I am not letting fanboyism get in the way of anything. I think it is sad and wrong that these people have to have their salaries cut because of a situation that was started by the owners. Don't get me wrong on that subject.

What I am against is people coming out and bashing purely Ross for this. I have seen ESPN, Mike Silver of CNNSI and others take shots at Ross and how he is such a terrible person for doing this. Yet, they fail to acknowledge that 82% of the NFL owners have done EXACTLY the same thing and some have made much more drastic cuts than Ross did. People just seem to want to pile on Ross when it is practically ALL the owners that is doing this.

Also what makes the difference if Ross is the second richest owner or if he was the 32nd richest owner? They all suffer the same during the lockout. No % wise it is not as drastic as others, but just because they have more money than others doesn't mean they can't make the same moves as others.

Ross is not incompetent and does not lack the people skills or common sense. If he was those things you think he would be a successful business man that allowed him to become the second richest owner? No. He knows exactly what he is doing and this is a reason why he will continue to be on top financially.

Again, if you have a problem with what was done here target all 26 owners that did this, not specifically Ross. Those attacking just Ross either have an anti-Ross/Dolphin agenda or are simply lacking the ability to look at the big picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some people are missing the big picture here. The owners voted to lock out that players (and have been preparing for the lockout for quite some time). They have effectively caused this entire situation. Sure you could put some of the blame on the players, but at the end of the day it was the owners that halted the NFL business. So now because of their decision the low end employees have to have their pay cut. I don't blame any fan for not wanting to buy season tickets. Every season ticket holder accross the NFL should ask for a refund if they've already paid. If the owners can't guarantee to put product on the field, then we shouldn't buy said product. That's capitalism.

Maybe Ross should sell one of his yachts in order to keep up salaries. Or one of his vacation homes, or whatever.

The owners are not completely at fault. in case you havent noticed, the economy sucks, the economy is not growing, and a blowhard lawyer along with commie judges are putting the entire NFL in this mess. They are simply rejecting anything and everything to not have an NFL. This is the same guy who screwed Hockey for a year! No NHL for a year! Prepare yourselves children! You may not b e able to hang Henne when Henne or anyone else wont be playin!

BTW, I took a 4% cut in pay a year ago because of uncertainty in the economy and also lost my bonus for a year. I got it back 6 months later. Should I say screw the CEO or just be happy I am not some unemployed dick sittin in a park all day waiting for his govt check? I should be thankful I have a job! For how long, I am not so certain. Wake up people! The world economy sucks and there is no end in sight because your president lies to your face and you buy it!

The owners are not completely at fault. in case you havent noticed, the economy sucks, the economy is not growing, and a blowhard lawyer along with commie judges are putting the entire NFL in this mess. They are simply rejecting anything and everything to not have an NFL. This is the same guy who screwed Hockey for a year! No NHL for a year! Prepare yourselves children! You may not b e able to hang Henne when Henne or anyone else wont be playin!

BTW, I took a 4% cut in pay a year ago because of uncertainty in the economy and also lost my bonus for a year. I got it back 6 months later. Should I say screw the CEO or just be happy I am not some unemployed dick sittin in a park all day waiting for his govt check? I should be thankful I have a job! For how long, I am not so certain. Wake up people! The world economy sucks and there is no end in sight because your president lies to your face and you buy it!

Two years ago my company cut the work week to 4 and a half day and reduced our salary for the time we were not working. We all lost money for almost a year. They also stopped our annual pay raises. Now, we are back to 5 day work weeks and I got my first raise in two years. I don't hate the company or my boss, I am fortunate they made pay cuts across the board that allowed all of us to keep our jobs.

The difference is, the Dolphins paycut aren't the result of the economy, its a result of the lockout. And the lockout is not the result of the economy, it is the result of the owners seeing how big the NFL pie will be down the line (with unprecendented growth) and wanting to get a better deal for themselves since they felt the prior deal (that they AGREED to) is garbage now. None of this is based on the downturn in the economy.

Two years ago my company cut the work week to 4 and a half day and reduced our salary for the time we were not working. We all lost money for almost a year. They also stopped our annual pay raises. Now, we are back to 5 day work weeks and I got my first raise in two years. I don't hate the company or my boss, I am fortunate they made pay cuts across the board that allowed all of us to keep our jobs.

The Dolphins are NOT a struggling company. An NFL team (prior to the lockout) is perhaps the most sound investment one could make. It was easy money. This is in no way comparable to your company or my company. There is almost nothing that could eff up a brand / company like the Dolphins enough to make them lose money. Well, the owners are doing their best to eff it up, and they might succeed.

I am not letting fanboyism get in the way of anything. I think it is sad and wrong that these people have to have their salaries cut because of a situation that was started by the owners. Don't get me wrong on that subject.

What I am against is people coming out and bashing purely Ross for this. I have seen ESPN, Mike Silver of CNNSI and others take shots at Ross and how he is such a terrible person for doing this. Yet, they fail to acknowledge that 82% of the NFL owners have done EXACTLY the same thing and some have made much more drastic cuts than Ross did. People just seem to want to pile on Ross when it is practically ALL the owners that is doing this.

Also what makes the difference if Ross is the second richest owner or if he was the 32nd richest owner? They all suffer the same during the lockout. No % wise it is not as drastic as others, but just because they have more money than others doesn't mean they can't make the same moves as others.

Ross is not incompetent and does not lack the people skills or common sense. If he was those things you think he would be a successful business man that allowed him to become the second richest owner? No. He knows exactly what he is doing and this is a reason why he will continue to be on top financially.

Again, if you have a problem with what was done here target all 26 owners that did this, not specifically Ross. Those attacking just Ross either have an anti-Ross/Dolphin agenda or are simply lacking the ability to look at the big picture.

Ross made most of his money off of his familial connections and shady business deals. It is obvious through watching his time as Dolphins owner that he is quite clueless when it comes to most business dealings.

yep, I ran into a guy yesterday at the pizza shop from HS. He used to be in pharmaceutical sales and do very well. He told me he has been out of work for a while and downsized twice. People just want to ***** and sit around some more and *****, when actually, the picture is much larger than the picture they talk about in their own little world from some stupid article designed to make some rich guy look evil. A businessman will do what is neccessary to keep the business alive. Selling his yacht is a last ditch thing. But anyone who has to sell his yacht shouldnt be owning a football team, provided he owns one. In fact, this is the very reason Huizenga sold the team. As soon as Obummer was elected, he said he just cannot envision owning a football team as a good idea when you consider the market that is coming.

Is the man stupid or just a really smart businessman? you decide

Ross made most of his money off of his familial connections and shady business deals. It is obvious through watching his time as Dolphins owner that he is quite clueless when it comes to most business dealings.

so do lawyers, politicians, cops,.....do i need to go on? Ever hear teh saying money is the root of all evil? Your president has made very very shady dealings.

so do lawyers, politicians, cops,.....do i need to go on? Ever hear teh saying money is the root of all evil? Your president has made very very shady dealings.

And so did the previous one... I don't doubt that. That's how you get in high places, especially in politics. Its one big *** massage parlor.

yep, I ran into a guy yesterday at the pizza shop from HS. He used to be in pharmaceutical sales and do very well. He told me he has been out of work for a while and downsized twice. People just want to ***** and sit around some more and *****, when actually, the picture is much larger than the picture they talk about in their own little world from some stupid article designed to make some rich guy look evil. A businessman will do what is neccessary to keep the business alive. Selling his yacht is a last ditch thing. But anyone who has to sell his yacht shouldnt be owning a football team, provided he owns one. In fact, this is the very reason Huizenga sold the team. As soon as Obummer was elected, he said he just cannot envision owning a football team as a good idea when you consider the market that is coming.

Is the man stupid or just a really smart businessman? you decide
Agree. If I was a business owner and things slowed down for whatever reason, I would look to cut back before I would start canning people or selling off my personal possessions. Ross gave these people jobs, he doesn't need to sacrifice himself to save these people. If the industry is down and there is less to do, why pay the same wages to your employee? It is simple supply and demand.

I actually commend Ross for just making his employees take cuts instead of laying people off. I am sure there are a lot of people inside that building that could have easily been cut, but instead he decided to keep everyone and issue a pay decrease. My company did the same thing and I am grateful for that, because there were definitely a few people they could have just canned that would have saved the company the same amount of money. Sure it hurt my pocket, but it is a nice thing to do instead of putting people out on the street collecting unemployment.

Ross is a successful businessman and when things are not going as well financially things have to be done to level the field. I don't care if your boss is worth $3 billion or $100,000, they all make the same decisions in tough situations.

Yes the NFL is a mega money industry, but they are losing money during the lockout. This goes for every team. Season ticket sales are down because of angry fans, merchandise sales are also likely down big time and there are a lot of other sources of money that have dried up because of the lockout. I know the Owners initiated the lockout but they are trying to do what is best for their company and product. If you pay the players less, than you have more money to pay your everyday office employees and you can reduce the costs you are charging fans. I hate the lockout, and I want football but really, the owners are trying to improve the game and end crazy spending.

Agree. If I was a business owner and things slowed down for whatever reason, I would look to cut back before I would start canning people or selling off my personal possessions. Ross gave these people jobs, he doesn't need to sacrifice himself to save these people. If the industry is down and there is less to do, why pay the same wages to your employee? It is simple supply and demand.

I actually commend Ross for just making his employees take cuts instead of laying people off. I am sure there are a lot of people inside that building that could have easily been cut, but instead he decided to keep everyone and issue a pay decrease. My company did the same thing and I am grateful for that, because there were definitely a few people they could have just canned that would have saved the company the same amount of money. Sure it hurt my pocket, but it is a nice thing to do instead of putting people out on the street collecting unemployment.

Ross is a successful businessman and when things are not going as well financially things have to be done to level the field. I don't care if your boss is worth $3 billion or $100,000, they all make the same decisions in tough situations.

Yes the NFL is a mega money industry, but they are losing money during the lockout. This goes for every team. Season ticket sales are down because of angry fans, merchandise sales are also likely down big time and there are a lot of other sources of money that have dried up because of the lockout. I know the Owners initiated the lockout but they are trying to do what is best for their company and product. If you pay the players less, than you have more money to pay your everyday office employees and you can reduce the costs you are charging fans. I hate the lockout, and I want football but really, the owners are trying to improve the game and end crazy spending.

What he SHOULD have done if he needed to make cuts was to offer 4 day work weeks. Optional unpaid furloughs. etc. There are MANY methods that would have been much better for employee morale without firing half the staff than a sucker punch like this. This should have been the 2nd to last option, not the first one.

If you commend Ross for this, I would hate to ever be your employee... This isn't how you treat good workers, plain and simple.

The difference is, the Dolphins paycut aren't the result of the economy, its a result of the lockout. And the lockout is not the result of the economy, it is the result of the owners seeing how big the NFL pie will be down the line (with unprecendented growth) and wanting to get a better deal for themselves since they felt the prior deal (that they AGREED to) is garbage now. None of this is based on the downturn in the economy.

how bout lockout + bad economy = bad business environment ????

How bout imagine your the owner and someone high up in NFL offices is telling you there is a 50-50 chance this lockout shuts off football for a year? you still think that its just hunky dori to keep thinking everything will be allright? How bout those poeples jobs should the NFL shut down? Why dont you call some high ups in the NHL and ask what they had to do? They had to shut down operations!!!!!! so yeah, your right, its cus of the lockout. So? What is the diff as long as the reason is a damn good one! No smart businessman or woman would operate without extreme caution on the future of payments and revenue.

Back
Top Bottom