Dolphins Defensive Line | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Defensive Line

I understand the excitement with a guy like Wilkins, but we had Suh who was a top 5 player. We had some of the worst run defenses during his tenure. What does Wilkins bring that Suh could not? Did Suh free-lance too much? Was it the defensive scheme? Was it that Suh had no supporting cast worth a darn?

I would like to believe that Wilkins will be our stud player for years, but doesn't it take a lineman a couple of years to find their game?
I think it was a whole lot of things. The main problem being, players seemed to feel the Dolphins would accept failure. Guy like Suh who could dominate would show up when he felt like it and we would accept it. He was already paid, so he'd show up for his own glory. Think of it. We had Ndamukong Suh and Cam Wake side by side, that shoulda been a game wrecker. Culture, scheme, everything.

I don't know what this staff will do. But as far as defense goes Howard, Minkah maybe a linebacker or 2 and our DT aren't the worst. Hopefully Wilkins will give us the presence we've needed. I saw today our own Ted Slimm compared him to Richard Seymour. **** man, I'll take that all day.

I don't know what this staff will do. But as far as defense goes Howard, Minkah maybe a linebacker or 2 and our DT aren't the worst. Hopefully Wilkins will give us the presence we've needed. I saw today our own Ted Slimm compared him to Richard Seymour. **** man, I'll take that all day.

If Christian Wilkins turns out to be 75% of the player Seymour was, we’re set there for years.

I doubt we drafted a DT at 13 to play him at DE. That makes no sense at all. He might line up at End from time to time but he's playing inside most of the time.
Although I agree with your statement, I could see Wilkins as a DE in a 3-4.

Taylor better be first up in the rotation.

Until Wilkins proves himself, Taylor is our best defensive lineman (and it's not close).

All due respect to Taylor, but if the 13th pick in the draft is "not even close" to him, then we have problems.

He's just not close to him because he hasn't taken the field yet.

Once we see him out there, I fully expect that gap to close (fingers crossed) :)
I see Wilkins as a very safe pick, much like Minkah was last year, very high floor on this guy.

Not much talent in the front 7 with them playing in a defense that doesn't suit most of them. Most of them are square pegs in round roles at this point. Flores will field a good defense eventually. Not gonna be this year. Gonna see a lot of growing pains. We are just out manned on the line and especially at LB with a transition in defensive philosophy.

Minkah vs derwin James
Wilkins vs Ed Oliver

That’s how this is going down.

Minkah vs derwin James
Wilkins vs Ed Oliver

That’s how this is going down.

That's going to be fun to watch over their careers.

Did James get significant snaps outside of strong safety?

And of course Big Ed went at 9 so wasn't available to us (barring trade up).

That's going to be fun to watch over their careers.

Did James get significant snaps outside of strong safety?

And of course Big Ed went at 9 so wasn't available to us (barring trade up).

No Miami miracle Oliver comes right to us.

It’s basically high ceiling vs high floor on both accounts

Anyways that’s how it’s going down for me. They all possess similar versatility.

Right now derwin James has an obvious leg up on minkah

Last edited:
Derwin James is the best safety in football already, passin on him hurt me, even though I predict Minkah to be a stud, but Derwin is a generational talent in the backend.

Wilkins is going to be great, I have zero concerns about him being great.

No Miami miracle Oliver comes right to us.

It’s basically high ceiling vs high floor on both accounts

Anyways that’s how it’s going down for me. Does talent long term trump safe. I always roll more towards swing for the fences.

Right now derwin James has an obvious leg up on minkah

If we had a perceived need at SS, derwin might have been the pick?

As far as Oliver and the miami miracle, if grandma had balls and all that.

But I'm with you, I'd rarely go safe over ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom