Dolphins Free Agency Grade | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Free Agency Grade

What grade would you give the Miami DOLPHIBS Free Agency so far?

• A Team has improved. Should contend for AFC Championship.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • B Team's Talent Level has stayed relatively neutral. Should contend for AFC East title.

Votes: 153 58.2%
  • C Team's talent level has marginally declined, but we will be competive in the AFC East.

Votes: 53 20.2%
  • D Team will not be competitive in the AFC East.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • F Fire everyone!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
Hello @bane, would you like something?

scale;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60;progressive.jpg

I went B, by no means perfect, but with what we had to work with, just what the Dr. ordered. There were offers on the table for both Hunt and Wilkins last year, they both wanted more. Now they both get to play for negligible franchises. I think Grier has done very well considering the circumstances. I'm not happy the AVG left but he wanted to be closer to home, in cooler weather, that's a factor that's hard to overcome. Blaming Grier because players had other motivations is short sighted to say the least, and just plain dumb on the other side.

A well "rounded" dump - and certainly appropriate under the circumstances. - LOL

Christian Wilkins and Robert Hunt now play for other teams. Chris Grier was never going to re-sign them at the prices FA was willing to offer and everyone's okay with that.

Thus, Wilkins and Hunt really don't factor into the evaluation of Chris Grier's offseason. They leave holes which are destined to be felt. It's how well Grier can respond that matters.

We have Robert Jones & Liam Eichenberg as stop-gaps at Guard if need be alongside linemen like Isaiah Wynn and Andrew Brewer. That's something to start with. I suspect we'll see a good OT added with our 2024 R1 pick who can start at G and transition to LT when Armstead retires next offseason.

Starters:
Armstead - R1 OT - Brewer - Wynn - Jackson

Back-ups:
Jones
Eichenberg
Lamm??
TBD??

We really had nothing at DT and have added a couple guys who need to earn themselves some money and should be motivated. I'm not ruling out that Grier might go after someone in R2 or R5 in the draft depending on what falls. We'll see.

Last edited:
I already gave my ranking of C but I'll explain a bit more about my thinking here...

The majority of the moves Chris Grier has made were forced upon us. As I've said quite frequently, you cannot get credit for sticking players into holes your past decisions helped create. Two steps forward today does not count as improvement if you spent yesterday taking as many steps backwards.

The obvious pattern here are the 1-yr deals:

CB/ST - Siran Neal (29)
TE - Jody Fortson (28)
OG - Robert Jones (25)
DT - Neville Gallimore (27)
DT - Benito Jones (26)
LB - Anthony Walker Jr (28)
LB - Shaq Barrett (31)
S - Jordan Poyer (32)

To be totally clear, not a single one of the above mean anything to me. Some will see starting time (J-Poyer). A few will rotate (S-Barrett, B-Jones, N-Gallimore). We may even see R-Jones at some point.

But rest assured none of those are even worth discussing in the long-term picture. The old ones are about dead and the young ones ain't that good. Most are old and/or coming off injuries. Poyer will be 33 and has definitely lost a step and begun the injury decline. Heck, I can promise Fortsom won't make the team. He's 28. He's torn his Achilles and dislocated his shoulder. He's a permanent KC practice-squad dude with 123 yards receiving in 5 years of pro ball. He's a camp body.

Then you get to the 2-yr deals:

TE Jonnu Smith (28)
CB Kendall Fuller (29)
CB Nik Needham (27)

It's tempting to like these but use Nik Needham as the gauge here. Are you excited at his return? Okay, that's how excited you should be for Jonnu Smith.

Jonnu Smith is going into his 8th season and has played for 3 different teams over the last 4 years. He's pretty similar to Durham Smyth and Julian Hill in terms of overall size and averages 385-yds per season. He's not a big threat given his lack of explosiveness. He's an outlet on short routes and that's it. His best instinct seems to be that he gets his head around quickly and is QB-friendly. He knows how to play the position. The best thing you can say is that he'll be a reliable veteran player even though he lacks any real upside. I don't expect much production but he's more physical than Smythe.

Kendall Fuller has the upside you want in a starter. He's solid and reliable and finds a way up the rankings as a veteran who's healthy should. However, he was cheap because he's going into his 9th season. He's spent 6 years in Washington and 2 in KC. He's 29 at a position where at 30 there's often a wall and where the drop-off from "we like you" to "you can't play for us anymore" is usually pretty sudden.

Ideally, Fuller is someone we can lean on as a veteran over the next couple seasons while a younger replacement is found. He's not a CB we can expect to play over multiple contracts for us. Most likely, this is a 2-yr investment and we pray he continues to stay healthy although aging corners often fight nagging injuries. We saw it with X. We saw it with Ramsey. It's a known risk here as well with Fuller's age.

This is a good find, to be sure, but it's not a long-term solution and there's a reason he was cheap-ish. It keeps the need for boundary CB in play in the '25 draft, especially if the light doesn't come on for Cam Smith this year. It kicks the can down the road a year but we're going to be thinking about this position again in short order.

I like the move but it's not the end of the story. It's a stop-gap player, albeit a solid one.

Then you get to the 3-yr deals:

Jordyn Brooks
is a leader. He's a tone-setter. He was a late-R1 pick in 2020 for a team with veteran LBs like Bobby Wager, Bruce Irvin and KJ Wright. That's a good group to learn from. He also came out of Texas Tech like another Dolphins LB we all know.

Although Brooks tore his ACL at the end of '22, he came back last year and looked alright. He may be the upgrade we wanted, especially at the price. He brings some size you lacked with Baker. Brooks is 2" shorter but 15-lbs heavier with a knack for good tackling (which Seattle is known for).

He's younger and has been as productive on his rookie deal as what Baker was over the last 6 years in Miami. Miami's defense lost some physicality up front with Wilkins leaving and hopefully Brooks helps bring that back.

This is a signing you can really smile about. Due to the age of the player, I probably like this more than Fuller at CB to be totally honest.

Aaron Brewer has given up the most sacks of any Center in the last 3 years. It's an issue. Yes, he's athletic enough to get to the 2nd level but he'll need to improve if he's to be any sort of asset for the Dolphins. Look, when you're young and you're a starter and you stay healthy for 2 seasons and you don't get a small-to-medium contract from the team that groomed you, there's a problem. Fact is, this was an UDFA and those guys often have certain kinds of upside and certain limitations that rarely go away (see Kohou).

The best thing that can be said about Brewer is that he's young (heading into year #5) and he's played 100% of the snaps for the Titans over the last 2 seasons since taking over as starter. But we're taking on the project that is Aaron Brewer. The Titans said 'no thanks' and now he's our project. We have good coaching but this is a gamble. And to be fair, I don't mind it.

What I'll say in defense of this signing is that with the players on this offense (and yes, that absolutely includes this QB) the Dolphins don't need elite linemen as much as they need healthy, reliable ones. If Brewer can stay healthy, he's an upgrade over the oft-injured Williams and the <stick insult here> Liam Eichenberg.

Summary

To look at this group of acquisitions and be excited is fooling yourself. These guys will help get us through 2024 but few will be anything like long-term solutions. The best of this group is maybe here in 2026. We're filling holes and we're doing it without attaching ourselves to anybody long-term. That's really the story here.

We're definitely going to use 2024 to reset and hopefully be in better position in '25 and '26 but that's clearly going to come from re-signing our own pieces and hitting on more in the draft. That's now been made absolutely obvious. This signals that Ross & Grier are again in lock step and that no one's "on the hot seat."

Hopefully we compete but if you're picking from the options, we clearly got a little worse and we're clearly hoping for a little good fortune along the way if 2024 is going to amount to much for us. Maybe we luck into a Division Title for once?
Outstanding and reasoned!

I have a B grade to this point, because the cap dictated certain subtractions and the team has found a way to offset them creatively with a mix of savvy veterans and young players with potentially some upside. Health as always will be important especially with the older signees who are expected to log significant snaps.

What happens next with Tua's extension (or not) and the draft will impact the final grade but to this point i have little to quibble with.

Barrett for AVG (and contrary to some posters I recognize that Barrett is 1 year <$9mm vs Gink at 2 for $20mm) is a fine swap. Fuller > X and Brooks > Baker. Who really knows how the OLine will unfold but so far I am not especially worried. It might be one of Tua's most downplayed virtues that he reduces the pass blocking load on the OLine and allows the team to spend less on that unit (instead paying for elite WR). He just needs to get more proficient with dump offs, throw away and runs when the situations present.

Ok enough rambling there's my B grade.

Grade cAn significantly change after June cuts and the draft. We are going to have a ton of money to throw at cut vets

Developing an Offensive Lines, and entire teams for that matter, is like painting a house.

Initially you need a house!
That would be the equivalent of having a Franchise with an effective Front Office and good a good Coaching Staff. Without that, you will be painting a cardboard shack.

Painting the house

First, you must clean off the surface and prepare it for painting, which is the equivalent of one year "prove it" deals, or something comparable to what the NFL does with new franchises.

Second, you must do further surface preparation by priming, which is the equivalent of two-year deals - it covers some imperfections but is not the final answer.

Third, you apply the final coating, the paint. This is the equivalent of higher priced, longer-term contracts - either by keeping players that have been developed, getting rid of players that aren't living up to their salary, or getting some good players from free agency.

Forth, and most importantly, you need to maintain the painted surface with periodic washings (drafting & developing solid players, and good players, and occasionally a great player) and repair damaged portions of the surface with solid players from Free Agency. This also covers releasing some players that are starting to "fade". Basically, you quit polishing "Turds"!

That's all it takes. - LOL

What is your grade and why?
Going with a B. Able to replace some talented players with cost effective moves. Have to factor in the cap. Set up well for next year too. This year is going to depend on the evolution of Tua and the health of Chubb and Phillips.

Outstanding and reasoned!

I have a B grade to this point, because the cap dictated certain subtractions and the team has found a way to offset them creatively with a mix of savvy veterans and young players with potentially some upside. Health as always will be important especially with the older signees who are expected to log significant snaps.

What happens next with Tua's extension (or not) and the draft will impact the final grade but to this point i have little to quibble with.

Barrett for AVG (and contrary to some posters I recognize that Barrett is 1 year <$9mm vs Gink at 2 for $20mm) is a fine swap. Fuller > X and Brooks > Baker. Who really knows how the OLine will unfold but so far I am not especially worried. It might be one of Tua's most downplayed virtues that he reduces the pass blocking load on the OLine and allows the team to spend less on that unit (instead paying for elite WR). He just needs to get more proficient with dump offs, throw away and runs when the situations present.

Ok enough rambling there's my B grade.

Agree. Need to keep all this is context. First, a confession. I don't like a team with many holes (i.e., Miami) to sign an expensive free agent (Suh/Wallace). That's for teams 'one piece away.'
Miami (not Grier) has done a good job of filling holes (most anticipated as upgrades) without spending big. Debating which may or may not be successful is a legitimate debate, but realistically, it's all opinion. And I have no problem with losing Wilkins and Hunt given the cost to keep them. Williams, if rumors are true, is just NFL reality. I'd like to resign Lamm, but we'll see. For the record, I do NOT blame Grier for draft picks and/or specific FAs. Not his job and not his responsibility. OTOH, I give him no credit for draft or FA selections. Structuring deals and negotiating details? I'm impressed.
But that's not all the grade. Restructures seem reasonable. Cap in coming years is quite manageable, and comp picks will make '25 exciting. A lot of words to say grading talent, by itself, is not being realistic.

Agree. Need to keep all this is context. First, a confession. I don't like a team with many holes (i.e., Miami) to sign an expensive free agent (Suh/Wallace). That's for teams 'one piece away.'
Miami (not Grier) has done a good job of filling holes (most anticipated as upgrades) without spending big. Debating which may or may not be successful is a legitimate debate, but realistically, it's all opinion. And I have no problem with losing Wilkins and Hunt given the cost to keep them. Williams, if rumors are true, is just NFL reality. I'd like to resign Lamm, but we'll see. For the record, I do NOT blame Grier for draft picks and/or specific FAs. Not his job and not his responsibility. OTOH, I give him no credit for draft or FA selections. Structuring deals and negotiating details? I'm impressed.
But that's not all the grade. Restructures seem reasonable. Cap in coming years is quite manageable, and comp picks will make '25 exciting. A lot of words to say grading talent, by itself, is not being realistic.
Does not compute.

Grier is a centerpiece of that part of the Front Office doing the player selection and signing.

Signing, yes. Selection, no. HC and assistants identify players and Grier may have some input but Grier or any GM WILL NOT overrule the HC. Some make it sound as if, and believe, Grier makes the picks

Signing, yes. Selection, no. HC and assistants identify players and Grier may have some input but Grier or any GM WILL NOT overrule the HC. Some make it sound as if, and believe, Grier makes the picks

Now that computes!
Thanks for the clarification.

I’m at the B grade, but reallly incomplete. One sneaky good signing was DT Benito Jones. His experience with the Lions will really help him. He will prove to be an upgrade over R. Davis and potentially much more.
I dont think that to be true but we’ll see.. and I’m not a fan of Davis.

Backup player imo at best

I voted a C. I beluve we have done well so far with the cap we have and would actually give us a C +. I think we need to fill out the roster and significantly improve the offensive line to get to a B grade.

I would like to see us resign Kendall Lamm and Isiah Wynn and add another guard before the draft to get to a B.
Lamm apparently hasn’t decided his fate as yet. Fins waiting. I gave a C grade, might have done C+ if Connor Williams was available.

Back
Top Bottom