Dolphins Gm: Not Tanking In '19, Despite Rebuild | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Gm: Not Tanking In '19, Despite Rebuild

Superself

If you want to, we can supply you.
Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins general manager Chris Grier wanted to clear the air Wednesday, saying to not expect any tanking from his team in 2019.

Owner Stephen Ross raised some eyebrows during a Dec. 31 news conference, saying fired head coach Adam Gase "wanted to win and win now" and that the Dolphins were taking a different approach -- one that included a rebuild -- to escape mediocrity.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26094004

That should be obvious that they aren't tanking. You know what I would like to see. Have 50% of the revenue sharing be split evenly between the teams. Have the other 50% be split up for win shares. according to google just now, that 50% would have been 4 billion in 2017, so divided by 256 games would be $15 million to the team for each win.

No team will admit that tanking is an option if asked in front of a camera and a boatload of reporters. Come on now.

With that said I’m ok with any direction this team goes whether they actually tank or don’t. I have a lot of faith with this regime with whatever they choose to do

This is why owners should avoid the press. Ross’ comments at the time sounded like a tank was coming, but in the same PC, he was asked about 3 win seasons and didn’t think that was acceptable. Tanking the season should never be acknowledged to the media. Now they have to walk the comments back so their draft picks and FA will actually sign with the team.

There was a story stating this was our buddy Gase:

1. He supposedly leaked to ESPN the Dolphins were targeting a QB in the 2020 draft which has been translated as they are tanking in 2019. Nobody else would have leaked that or honestly I'd start over even again because it's a ridiculous thing to leak. Tanking is a lot harder than this site thinks it is and I'll bet anyone that unless the "wheels fall off " injury wise we WILL not have a top 5 pick in 2020.

2. Also supposedly our retaliation for our buddy Adam's leak was the Dolphins leaked that Gase didn't like Sam Darnold very much coming into last seasons draft.

Should be a good Miami/NY rivalry for sheer dislike.

Basically telling us what many of us already knew. There is no way Miami is losing games on purpose.

If Miami loses games this coming season, it will be because they failed to execute, make plays, or match what the other team did.

Miami is not gutting the team (even though some big contracts, or older players may be let go for younger cheaper replacements), and Miami is not going into this year thinking about 2020 and it's supposed rich crop of QB.

Though I must say, Grier coming out publicly to tell everyone Miami is not tanking the season also tells me that he just wants to prepare the Dolphin faithfuls when he makes an attempt to possibly pickup his new young QB this year, and not 2020.

I believe him, his job is on the line because Ross will make him the first to go if things go bad.

Its clear in rebuilding the organization expects it may have to go through some losing, but I gotta believe on Sunday the team (any team) is always interested in winning aside from a few disenfranchised players.

Back
Top Bottom