Dolphins Gm: Not Tanking In '19, Despite Rebuild | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Gm: Not Tanking In '19, Despite Rebuild

"Tanking" - intentionally losing games at all cost to get a better draft pick

"Rebuilding" - recreating the roster while still trying to win with less talent, but not focusing on the final win/loss record

There's no way the team tanks. Too many people's reputations, marketability, and financial leverage are on the line for ZERO guarantees of any kind of payoff.

The team will be rebuilding.

"Rebuilding" - recreating the roster while still trying to win with less talent, but not focusing on the final win/loss record

There's no way the team tanks. Too many people's reputations, marketability, and financial leverage are on the line for ZERO guarantees of any kind of payoff.

Agree, but there are flavors of "rebuilding." It can mean bringing in new, younger players who need to develop, all the way to getting the best talent available for FLORES' system, including trades and FAs. I think Flores' is somewhere between these two. I agree with many here - I expect some big $ contracts to be cut and players not performing to pay to be cut. OTOH, I expect some surprise 'keeps.' In any case I think a 'real' OC/DC/HC (read 'far better than Gase/Burke) are worth a couple of games.

In my recollection no team in pro sports history has ever openly declared their intent was to lose games...

It's preposterous to even consider such a statement being made regardless of the behind the scenes directives.

This kind of stuff is just nonsense IMO.

This makes me very happy:

Some evidence of that is Grier shooting down speculation that they would consider trading star cornerback Xavien Howard. Grier said he felt "very confident" that Howard would be on their 2019 roster.

Howard is eligible for a contract extension and said at the end of the season that he wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. He also admitted to hearing trade talk this offseason.

The Dolphins are in the evaluation stage for much of their roster, but they have circled some players -- like Howard -- they absolutely want to keep.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26094004/dolphins-gm-not-tanking-19-rebuild

You are more of a fool If you believe Luke will be the starting QB game 1.
Stop attention wh0ring...

Nobody knows who will be what and where until it's time...especially not you. My post basically said if Luke Falk is starting, we're tanking...especially if Tannehill is gone.

We may draft a QB in round 1...we may not, but any QB after the first batch is non better than Falk.

the only way we tanking. We let go Drake, Wilson. Stills and Grants. we still looking at almost same team except thill17. 6 to 9 game winning team.

Actually as long as you give it a marketable name, such as "The Process", you'll soon find you can "tank" in front of everyone and no one will really get wise to your plan.

Kinda like when a girl introduces you to her boyfriend as her "friend".

as HC the only way I am tanking is if I get 1-15 or 4-12 team. other than that hell to no. HC get fired to quick this day. I might say we tanking to please Ross but in my mind we are trying win now. 3 yr from now Ross can say he want new coach.

Stop attention wh0ring...

Nobody knows who will be what and where until it's time...especially not you. My post basically said if Luke Falk is starting, we're tanking...especially if Tannehill is gone.

We may draft a QB in round 1...we may not, but any QB after the first batch is non better than Falk.

That was about as much attention wh0ring as your idiotic statement about Luke starting was.
As far as knowing who will be what and where, you are as clueless as anyone here. Especially foolishly suggesting that Luke will start day one.

When asked point blank about tanking, the first things Chris Grier said about it were to reference Steve Ross' words and say they were taken out of context, then say

"we're not trying to lose every game … we're not trying to tank, but we're trying to build it right and see how it plays out."

It was noteworthy to me that he did not say we were trying to win.

Typically, coaches will defiantly and clearly state that they're trying to win, that their goal is to compete, to win things, to be a playoff team, etc. Now GM's can be more reserved … but I would still expect him to say they were trying to win … but instead he said we were not trying to lose … at least he said we were not trying to lose EVERY GAME. Perhaps I'm reading between the lines, but it sure sounds like he's working hard to lower expectations for the 2019 season, because they are indeed going to tank.

Back
Top Bottom