Dolphins hire a high school coach, with a link to the Patriots | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins hire a high school coach, with a link to the Patriots

Big proponent of high school coaches getting a shot. It's the level where all innovation in football originates.

It's typically automatically assumed on message boards that all coaching staffs in the NFL are the best of the best because they're in the NFL, but that's simply not true. In fact, I just heard Barrett Jones say that he was part of teams in the NFL, particularly his time with the Rams - had guys on staff that had no business coaching middle school football, much less NFL.

I even noted last year some of the blocking techniques I saw Miami using with Gesicki were things that were just extremely poor coaching. You don't ask backs and receivers to block a whole man when their assignment is a DE. You teach half a man and attack the inside leg by splitting the guy's crotch with your outside foot. Even good high school coaches teach that. Furthermore, you don't incorporate that with any concept that doesn't require the QB to get the ball out of his hand quickly.

Nevermind the Bobby McCain as a single high MOF experiment that a few of us shot down immediately upon receiving the news.

If Flores hires this guy he's obviously familiar with some techniques and fundamentals that the coaching staff believes in.

Good insights... Makes sense which is atypical around these parts!

I'm curious regarding the "network" where Flores went fishing and

specifically how deep and wide it is... 100% agree with your core point

great coaches (and certainly real innovators) are in a lot of places

besides the NFL. Beyond that -- I have no clue!

:lol:

One should never take PFF at face value. B.Mcain had no business being back there on face-value. We don't know the situation internally for that coaching decision. But the results weren't pretty. I would supect in 2020 he goes back to the slot.

Well, let me defend McCain using PFF. Ranking safeties, he's 96 of 106. Tackling he's 105 of 106. WAIT!!!! That's not much of a defense. Matter of fact, it probably matches the eyeball test. And, as I say occasionally, I'll not defend PFF as perfect, but as 'in the ball park.'

Nonetheless, my comment was most safeties graded pretty high.although most played few games.
Hartage 26th, Colbert 50th, Rowe 53rd of 106. Rowe was nicked due to poor pass rush.
Just as with Ballage and others, I don't understand McCain either, particularly when Miami needed a slot.
But that's a digression. Excluding the CBs who played 1-2 games, the secondary did pretty well, and that's with no pass rush. Given that, I have no idea what a HS coach is going to do to hhlp NFL DBs. We'll see

All over the news here........coached Struthers to some of the best seasons in years and has some college coaching experience at Kent State. Very player oriented gets the most out of them and play hard for him, just what I am hearing on the local news.

What in the world happened to Kris Richard? He was a big name last year and many people wanted him over Flores. I haven't even heard his name mentioned this time around and today the Giants hire NE's special teams coach.

Flores can hire whoever he wants because football basically has no rules on how people are hired. There are some great high school coaches out there but hiring a guy with no NFL or college experience to me is not a great way to build a staff. With the background, probably a hire based on someone he knows much like many coaching hires in the NFL.

Still can't get over the Chan Gailey hire.
Get over it. The reality is that Fitz spent 3 years with Chan in Buffalo and then another 2 years with him at the Jets. Some people can't see it, but we are rolling with Fitz as our QB next season and Chan is the play caller he wants. If we are lucky to draft Tua Tagovailoa that's great and it will give him time to fully heal and learn how Fitz leads by example. If we don't draft Tua, then we beef up our O-line or Defense with a top pass rusher.
Chan is coming to Miami because Fitz wants him.

We could really use Kuntz in the locker room for motivation.

I love the fact that FLO has recently hired a grizzled old vet coach in GAILEY & then turns right around & brings aboard a very successful High School coach. The dudes not afraid. That's one of the things I've liked about how the Cheaters have assembled their staffs. Older experienced coaches working with up & coming coaches. Best of both worlds.

All over the news here........coached Struthers to some of the best seasons in years and has some college coaching experience at Kent State. Very player oriented gets the most out of them and play hard for him, just what I am hearing on the local news.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom