Dolphins' New OLine | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' New OLine

Ereck Flowers would be a backup on any other team. I'm excited about everyone else though.
How do you figure that when he started the season at G for the Skins?

Isn't it amazing how many matter-of-fact comments just like this one are routinely stated then quickly and easily refuted?
The routine offenders don't like to be called out for their outlandish and uneducated proclaimations, so it usually ends up derailing the thread. C'est la vie, I guess.

Moving along....

IDK pretend to know how much improved the Dolphins o-line is or will be this season, but I can't fathom it being as bad or worse than it was last season. They've added better players, but, per usual, it typically takes time for the line to develop chemistry. So I won't be completely surprised if the improvement isn't readily apparent early on.

I'm quietly optimistic about this seasons online, ok we've got potentially 5 new starters and 2 being rookies but we should see after the first 4 or 5 games how it's blending together with picking up blitzers n blocking schemes, but I am hopeful it'll be a big improvement on last year.

Be ready for some growing pains w/ jackson this year.. it’s not likely he steps in and plays top notch the way tunsil did.

still love the pick though.

I agree i think he'll be very good pick eventually we just have to be patient, but it's definitely a pick based on potential

Be ready for some growing pains w/ jackson this year.. it’s not likely he steps in and plays top notch the way tunsil did.

still love the pick though.
Tunsil really didn't though. He was a guard, playing next to a very good left tackle, his first year. His second year, he played competent LT, but wasn't anything special. Yr 3, he became a top player at the position, while still making some mistakes, and committing too many penalties.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but he wasn't great on day 1.

Tunsil really didn't though. He was a guard, playing next to a very good left tackle, his first year. His second year, he played competent LT, but wasn't anything special. Yr 3, he became a top player at the position, while still making some mistakes, and committing too many penalties.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but he wasn't great on day 1.

meh tunsil played top half of the league each year he was here. Outside of pre snap issues. He was a sound guard and tackle and only kept getting better

I don't care if Miami fields the greatest OL in NFL history; Tua is going to get hit. If he can't take a hit Miami will be drafting another QB next year.
BINGO! 'Bama had a great O-line and how did that work out? Tua's gonna have to learn to play smart and take hits while protecting his own body and if he cant do that then we shouldve gone O-line there and drafted Love at 18 to make sure we got him, even if that was an 'overdraft'. Herbert at 5? No. Still think Herbert lacks 'it'.

Deiter might surprise in year 2...at guard.
I think we're going to pick up a tackle that's going to be cut before Labor Day and that guy might wind up the best tackle we have in 2020. We got nothing but bums and 'projects' other than Karras and Flowers at this time.
We just have to hope we get some nice 'surprises' or our O-line in 2020 will not be improved enough to help us win any more than 5 games again

Yappple Dapple!?!

I question the wisdom behind invoking the catch phrase of a big, fat and gay cartoon genie...Is that who we want protecting Tua's backside?

Although, I must admit he does resemble him entirely. I mean right down to his one dread that hangs like a tassel...Black Babu it is!
'Protecting his backside', huh? Lol
View attachment 46404

Not my finest moments during the Coronariots...Yapple Crapple!

In the end I actually agree with SI's rankings ... the Dolphins "new" OL is the worst in the division. I have long-term hope for Austin Jackson .. he has the tools and seems like his head is screwed on right. But, he's very young and coming off an arduous recovery from donating bone marrow to his sister ... and he was soft and undersized for the position coming into the draft. So, he'll need to mature, work on his technique, and add at least 20 lbs. of muscle while doing it. IMHO, too much to ask the kid to step up and start at LT this season. I'm seeing him as a year 2 starter, and if he make enough strides by midseason, he could compete if there are injuries ... and there always are.

I'm not high on Robert Hunt, and that's well documented. Kid can run block, but I have serious reservations about his pass protection. Like SI, I don't see him as an OT, I see him as an OG on the front side (Tua's LG or Fitzmagic's RG), because he'll probably get a QB killed as a rookie. I wouldn't discount Solomon Kindley at that last spot, nor would I discount the sophomore Michael Dieter. Agree with the veterans, Jesse Davis is solid at one tackle (LT which will eventually be Tua's front side would be my bet). You paid starter money to Ereck Flowers to be an OG, so let him hold down one of those positions and don't ask him to be an OT, because he's horrible at it. Ted Karras was paid backup money, but I think the original plan was to start him this year and segue him into a backup interior OL role after we blood the new OC. Unfortunately, we missed out on drafting one (why we let Biadasz slide is beyond me), so we may be looking to groom MIchael Dieter for that position.

But, all in all, this OL is young and primarily run blockers in a pass-protection league. I'm worried. Considering we had more draft capital than ever in our entire NFL history ... it's disappointing we didn't get some pass protectors to protect our valuable rookie QB with injury concerns. We'll see how this does.

Hunt is going to be Tua's blindside protector, I know everyone says he's a better guard than a tackle, but I think Hunt is going to prove he can play that RT spot and man it for years to come.
I love your enthusiasm and hope you're right! But I doubt it. He has the physical makeup to play RT for a right handed QB. But his step up in competition is light-years from where he's played, and in college he really only played as a run blocker. Expecting him to play the edge against the world's elite pass rushers at an OT position is asking too much from him as a rookie, IMHO. Eventually, maybe. But the small school guys who make it in the NFL tend to be elite technicians ... and Robert Hunt is not a great technician. He dominated because his size, length, and power were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far above his level of competition, he just man-handled them naturally. He reminds me of a bigger version of the small school prospect who never developed here before ... Turner maybe? Yeah, how quickly we forget, lol. I'm hoping for the best with Hunt, but I'm not expecting it.

Back
Top Bottom