Dolphin's priorities via Armando | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin's priorities via Armando

yeah...i don't think moving down to around pick 20 or more and counting on everson griffen being on the board is a chance i'd take...

maybe 15 but not any further than that...i actually think that once the combine and his pro day workouts are complete we'll be nervous about having a shot at griffen at #12...let alone any trade down scenario...

3-4 teams are gonna have to love what they see there on tape...

the only thing i can see hurting him is if he doesn't interview well (which we'll likely not know) or has some skeletons in the closet yet to be revealed...

I have been reading up on Everson Griffen...

I see that he is a physical beast and played at a great program...

Is it possible he maybe the next Vernon Gholston?

I have read a few articles saying he is inconsistent

I have been reading up on Everson Griffen...

I see that he is a physical beast and played at a great program...

Is it possible he maybe the next Vernon Gholston?

I have read a few articles saying he is inconsistent

It's absolutely possible....it's the only real concern I have with him..

There's always cause for concern when a player that talented is getting benched and not starting on his defense....but when I watch the tape on him...it all goes away....then the concerns come back again when I start thinking about it....watch the tape again..they go away...

There's a chance that Dez Bryant could be the next Adarius Bowman or Rashaun Woods......or that C.J. Spiller could be the next Trung Canidate.....or Derrick Morgan could be the next Courtney Brown....etc...

Some people like to put a priority on a tape measure "freak" over actual production, consistency, and body of work.....I think there's a fine line between knowing when to do it and when not to....

You have to be able to sort out when risk outweighs potential....when potential outweighs production....and when production outweighs risk...etc....

...versus the value of the pick....

Why grab a Safety that's rookie just like clemons is? give the man a chance to play a little so he can be evaluated.

It's absolutely possible....it's the only real concern I have with him..

There's always cause for concern when a player that talented is getting benched and not starting on his defense....but when I watch the tape on him...it all goes away....then the concerns come back again when I start thinking about it....watch the tape again..they go away...

There's a chance that Dez Bryant could be the next Adarius Bowman or Rashaun Woods......or that C.J. Spiller could be the next Trung Canidate.....or Derrick Morgan could be the next Courtney Brown....etc...

Some people like to put a priority on a tape measure "freak" over actual production, consistency, and body of work.....I think there's a fine line between knowing when to do it and when not to....

You have to be able to sort out when risk outweighs potential....when potential outweighs production....and when production outweighs risk...etc....

...versus the value of the pick....

The glaring (physical) difference between Griffen and Gholston is agility.

The glaring (physical) difference between Griffen and Gholston is agility.

The difference is in the hips for me....the looseness and COD skills....Griffen can play stand-up OLB and man-up on the strongside....Gholston is miscast in a 3-4 from day one...he's too stiff hipped and not instinctive enough....Griffen has what I would call "football" instincts...

Been watching a lot of video on the Broncos defense. There is definitely a place for Cameron Wake in this defense. I look at the way he used Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil together, there's a place for Wake in there.

But he needs linebackers. Real ones, not the overstuffed variety. The day that Nolan walked into the building, the talk of Merling moving out to SOLB became moot IMO...and this comes from a person who was chief among those willing to move Phil.

What you appreciate about watching Robert Ayers play is that the guy looks like a linebacker, plays like a linebacker, and he used to be a linebacker before he went to the defensive line. The key is, I don't think that Wake is Ayers in those formations, I think that Wake is Dumervil.

Watching his defense in action I can envision Brandon Graham playing opposite Cameron Wake in the defense. Except where Dumervil was the guy that stayed on the field all the time and played linebacker more, Wake would play like Dumervil did whenever Elvis and Ayers were on the field together, except Cameron would be the guy to sub out more...if that makes sense.

One key is that we need to find us a Mario Haggan, a linebacker with a lot of strength that is versatile enough to switch between a lot of roles. Interestingly enough, I have visions of Brandon Spikes playing that role. He's strong enough, he's aggressive enough, and he's a heck of a pass rusher that knows how to use his hands to get off the OLs and TEs to get to the passer. I used to bring this up about Spikes well over a year ago, that I could see him playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. With Mike Nolan's emphasis on versatility, Brandon Spikes would be a welcome addition...along with either a Brandon Graham or an Everson Griffen. My preference would be Griffen, I tend to think Nolan would go for Graham.

And again I have to point to Armando's article. We *have* ILBs on roster. And those ILBs are the same ones that didn't do so bad in 2008. So to pretend they're on the same level as an OLB roster that contains only Cameron Wake, Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses and Erik Walden...I just don't see that.

ILB is not a "must have". That's not even a "need". That's a "want".

CK...I understand your logic. However, Armando even mentions that the depth at OLB in this draft goes quite far. We could still get excellent value later on.

My argument is that when you are staring at a potential perennial pro bowl ILB (the nucleus of a defense) you have to take him. Rolando has one attribute that cannot go unnoticed, he is SMART. Hes also a product that was harbored by Nick Saban. Love or hate him, the man is a genius for the defensive side of the ball. I don't know how you can pass on Mcclain at 12.

Based on value alone, OLB is a "want" at #12, because the value of the pick (graham for example) does not coincide with the pick. If we want to take OLB, we MUST trade back in the draft with a team that conveys Mcclain. That is the only way I will accept an OLB pick in the first round.

The difference is in the hips for me....the looseness and COD skills....Griffen can play stand-up OLB and man-up on the strongside....Gholston is miscast in a 3-4 from day one...he's too stiff hipped and not instinctive enough....Griffen has what I would call "football" instincts...

Exactly.

it truly is a brave new world. I've read that without the minimum salary requirement, many owners will just cut costs. it looks like there will be some huge surprises with players moving you never thought about. a team can really set itself up for a long time with the right moves this offseason.
Absolutely. Look no further than baseball. Every always complains about the Yankees and other big market teams spending a lot of money, but really the bigger issue is that teams like the Pirates and other perennial crap teams refuse to spend any money. That has far more to do with the disparity than big markets overspending. The Yankees have won one WS since their 2000 win, so you obviously can't count on them winning it all every year. What you CAN count on is that the Royals, Pirates, Nationals and Padres will not make the playoffs. Without any salary floor, those teams just line their pockets. Get this: most of those teams get paid more money by the big market teams than what their payroll ends up being. They simply take the money and do not even attempt to lock up their young stars. Its a sad situation. The Marlins fall into this category too, except for some reason known only to God himself, they still manage to win and be competitive.

I just fear that once the cap goes away this offseason we will never see it again in football. Gene Upshaw guaranteed that if the cap went away he would never allow it back. We will have to see what this new head of the Player's Union does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been watching a lot of video on the Broncos defense. There is definitely a place for Cameron Wake in this defense. I look at the way he used Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil together, there's a place for Wake in there.

But he needs linebackers. Real ones, not the overstuffed variety. The day that Nolan walked into the building, the talk of Merling moving out to SOLB became moot IMO...and this comes from a person who was chief among those willing to move Phil.

What you appreciate about watching Robert Ayers play is that the guy looks like a linebacker, plays like a linebacker, and he used to be a linebacker before he went to the defensive line. The key is, I don't think that Wake is Ayers in those formations, I think that Wake is Dumervil.

Watching his defense in action I can envision Brandon Graham playing opposite Cameron Wake in the defense. Except where Dumervil was the guy that stayed on the field all the time and played linebacker more, Wake would play like Dumervil did whenever Elvis and Ayers were on the field together, except Cameron would be the guy to sub out more...if that makes sense.

One key is that we need to find us a Mario Haggan, a linebacker with a lot of strength that is versatile enough to switch between a lot of roles. Interestingly enough, I have visions of Brandon Spikes playing that role. He's strong enough, he's aggressive enough, and he's a heck of a pass rusher that knows how to use his hands to get off the OLs and TEs to get to the passer. I used to bring this up about Spikes well over a year ago, that I could see him playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. With Mike Nolan's emphasis on versatility, Brandon Spikes would be a welcome addition...along with either a Brandon Graham or an Everson Griffen. My preference would be Griffen, I tend to think Nolan would go for Graham.

I still wouldn't mind Graham. I'd prefer Griffen, but if Nolan opts for Graham, I won't punch a hole in the wall.

Back
Top Bottom