Dolphins/ QB backup may come from draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins/ QB backup may come from draft

kpcane said:
I said I'm not entirely opposed. I know it's difficult to understand, but getting possibly the best player in the draft is something I could understand because he could yield several first round picks in the future. Omar Jacobs will just go to #3 on the depth chart and stay there for a couple years before we cut him.

Cut him...who said anything about cutting Omar??? If we draft him we are not going to groom him and cut him so another team can take him.:shakeno:

TheDolphinsR#1 said:
Or he could be our future starter. Not for awhile, but in the mean time he would take the backup role and give us great depth in a position that has been very weak up until this year. Well, last year was ok. Gus did a pretty good job for the most part.

Jacobs would not jump Lemon on the depth chart this year. That would make him 3rd string.

icephinfan said:
Cut him...who said anything about cutting Omar??? If we draft him we are not going to groom him and cut him so another team can take him.:shakeno:

I expect Daunte to play until he's at least 35, but he'll most likely play til he's 37-38 or so. He's 29 right now, and will be 30 by the time the season starts. Do you really plan on grooming a guy for 5-7 years?

kpcane said:
I expect Daunte to play until he's at least 35, but he'll most likely play til he's 37-38 or so. He's 29 right now, and will be 30 by the time the season starts. Do you really plan on grooming a guy for 5-7 years?

Okay here we go....I get where you are coming from, but if Daunte get's hurt and he's out for the year, then we have a guy who we groomed, not searching for a QB like we are now!!!Who says he needs 5-7 years grooming????

We need a backup QB this year. How is any marginally talented rookie QB going to help us in this area? Especially one who played in a shotgun offense that doesn't remotely resemble any NFL team and would need 2-3 years before he'd be ready to start. We have 3 picks in the first 6 rounds and need depth at LB, CB, S, WR, OG/C, and maybe DT. This is not the year to be drafting a QB unless its with one of our 7ths.

kpcane said:
Jacobs would not jump Lemon on the depth chart this year. That would make him 3rd string.

If, big if, we pick up a veteran QB (such as Harrington, Collins, Maddox, etc.) to be the number two AND draft a Young or a Jacobs, then yes the draftee would likely jump Lemon into the three slot because of a greater upside.

from kpcane

In short, yes. Again they would be groomed into a number two for one to two years under a veteran number two (again like Harrington et. al.) and then go to number two when the veteran moves on. Steve Young was a number two for a long time first in Tampa Bay and then for SF until Montana left. If he is good enough he could even challenge 'pepper by the time Pep is 33-35 and perhaps force Pep into the veteran back-up role.

This is a lot of speculation but that could be one way of thinking. It also represents a best case kind of scenario.

elite14eva said:
[mod] Draft threads belong in the draft forum. [/mod]

Dolphins | Culpepper backup may come from draft
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:11:02 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/17">Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Miami Dolphins may use the upcoming 2006 NFL Draft to find a backup for QB Daunte Culpepper, especially if the team cannot pull off a trade for Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington

I believe there's a better chance of me snowboarding down a snow capped mountain in Miami during July then there is of Nick Saban counting on a rookie to back up Culpepper ESPECIALLY when that rookie may very well need to start the season.

Same chances of us starting the year with Lemon as our second stringer.

Not going to happen folks.

John Clayton said Harrington is coming to miami, either throu trade or him been released.

icephinfan said:
Okay here we go....I get where you are coming from, but if Daunte get's hurt and he's out for the year, then we have a guy who we groomed, not searching for a QB like we are now!!!Who says he needs 5-7 years grooming????

Yeah Daunte could get hurt, but is Jacobs significantly better than Lemon, or does he have a significantly higher upside? We don't know! And in the 3rd round, we're going to have to get a guy that we do know can fill a hole, or provide solid depth. Right now, I don't see Jacobs being any better than Lemon, and I feel it would be a wasted pick.

I wasn't saying Jacobs needs 5-7 years, I said that's how long I expect Daunte would play, so we would essentially be "grooming" him for 5-7 years, because he'd be in a reserve role for that long.

Ohiophinphan said:
from kpcane

In short, yes. Again they would be groomed into a number two for one to two years under a veteran number two (again like Harrington et. al.) and then go to number two when the veteran moves on. Steve Young was a number two for a long time first in Tampa Bay and then for SF until Montana left. If he is good enough he could even challenge 'pepper by the time Pep is 33-35 and perhaps force Pep into the veteran back-up role.

This is a lot of speculation but that could be one way of thinking. It also represents a best case kind of scenario.

That's a good point about Young, but the thing is, he never jumped Testaverde on the depth chart and what happened??? HE MOVED ON!! He did end up being successful with SF when Montana got injured...he didn't "push him for time" per se.
I really, really, really hope that Culpepper is not pushed for playing time in 3 years. That would make the trade a lot worse than I thought it was.
I think we'd be better off getting more secondary, linebacking, or offensive line help in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

icephinfan said:

After two years of sitting on the bench, Omar will ask to be traded, and when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, he will jump, if Culpepper stays healthy the next 4-5 years.

Steve Young was a #2 for years because it was pre-free agency where you could just stockpile talent.

TheDolphinsR#1 said:
Or he could be our future starter. Not for awhile, but in the mean time he would take the backup role and give us great depth in a position that has been very weak up until this year. Well, last year was ok. Gus did a pretty good job for the most part.

No way in hell in today's NFL is a player who gets drafted at QB in the third round of higher, is going to wait 4-5 years to even have a chance to start. The minute he becomes a free agent, he'll walk. Then we've just developed him for somebody else.

You can't groom for 4-5 years anymore. The climate of the NFL changed after the NFL lost that lawsuit over Plan B.

RobFins2005 said:
No way in hell in today's NFL is a player who gets drafted at QB in the third round of higher, is going to wait 4-5 years to even have a chance to start. The minute he becomes a free agent, he'll walk. Then we've just developed him for somebody else.

You can't groom for 4-5 years anymore. The climate of the NFL changed after the NFL lost that lawsuit over Plan B.

I didn't mean it that way. If he becomes good he may take over as starter 3 years down the line. If not he would be a solid backup or possibly traded for more value. Plus, as it is we are hoping Daunte can be there for years, but things happen and if there is any position you need a good insurance policy, it is Quarterback.

TheDolphinsR#1 said:
I didn't mean it that way. If he becomes good he may take over as starter 3 years down the line. If not he would be a solid backup or possibly traded for more value. Plus, as it is we are hoping Daunte can be there for years, but things happen and if there is any position you need a good insurance policy, it Quarterback.

He's going to overtake Daunte Culpepper? Only if Daunte either A. never recovers from his injury and returns to form, or B. If he has a career ending injury.

Otherwise, why was the trade made? Daunte's only 29.

Back
Top Bottom