Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out

Guys, they accidently typed John Beck instead of Dan Marino, easy mix up. This article is over 20 years old. :(

Not really, John Beck is hopefully going to be incredible. There is just something about him that makes me like him already.

Also, the BYU / Utah game was on last night (rerun obviously), and I never seen the guy in action, he is one hell of an accurate passer, with a lot of power behind the throw too.

I had to laugh watching NFL Network and the Michael Vick issue. Then they flash to the Falcons training camp and show Joey Harrington running around (as #13, a Dolphins fan would find that amusing quickly) and them saying this will be their quarterback for this year. Atlanta traded off their pretty awesome second string if I remember, poor Falcons. Maybe they'll take over our bad luck.

I wish the best for Joey, and hopefully he plays as well as he did against the Lions for the Falcons. I'm just glad he's no longer with us and we have Green/Beck (I hope Beck comes in sooner-than-later).

Compared to Marc Bulger with his ability to hit recievers in stride

I really would be happy if he was just a TOP 20 QB in the league. I hope he is a TOP 5 within the next 3 years. That would just blow my mind. I like most of my fellow dolphin fans have waited TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long for a good QB, much less a GREAT QB!!!

GO PHINS!!!

The second he picked up a football proves he's already better than J.P. Losman!!

Just kidding... I just wanted to post that to get Evans555 going.

I will be sure to let you all know how he looks in preseason,. I am going to the phins chiefs game on the 16th.

I don't know that beck will be great, but I am quite confident he will be solid. His arm is good, he's accurate. He's smart... but he's already old for a rookie.

I think we will see that cam got it right.

Compared to Marc Bulger with his ability to hit recievers in stride

Man, I hope Beck gets as good as Marc Bulger (or better) someday ... hopefully very early in his career. Bulger just signed a big ole contract today for the Rams. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2951390

"With a $10.25 million average salary, Bulger's new contract would place him in elite company, just behind Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Tom Brady and Brett Favre as quarterbacks who make $10 million or more on average per year."

I agree, but people just don't want Quinn to turn into a really good QB because we passed up on him so EVERYONE is hoping that Beck>Quinn. A Lot of people bashed Mueller/Cameron for passing on Quinn and taking Ginn, but if Ginn turns out to be a gamebreaker and Beck turns out to be a better QB than Quinn then Mueller/Cameron will look like geniuses and will both be portrayed as Gods by many posters on this site.

I agree with you but I disagree with everyone else (critics, ESPN, etc..). They all acted like we made a mistake in drafting Ginn instead of Quinn. Even if Quinn turns out to be a great player that doesn't mean that we needed to take him.

If Beck comes in and does great things for us even with Quinn succeeding at the same time, I don't see how anyone could be negative about us passing on Quinn.

Just b/c we needed a QB didn't mean he had to be taken with the #9 pick

The Packers are getting fleeced if they're still paying Favre $10 million for this season. It also goes without saying that the Falcons are getting fleeced.

I have to say on Beck, I was not following anything other than fingerpaints and applesauce when the Fins drafted Marino, so I was not around to see what the atmosphere was like the last time we drafted a high round rookie QB...but I have to think there's something different about this climate with John Beck, a sense of knowing, rather than a sense of wondering or even worse, a sense of frustrated waiting. This guy has too much support around the league from guys in-the-know on quarterbacks.

Chris Mortenson has 7 GMs and Head Coaches he commonly approaches about QB predictions because he says they've proven themselves very accurate over the last decade or so in predicting which QBs would pan out and which wouldn't. They all spoke highly of John Beck as a potential first rounder. Now you may say, ok why didn't anyone draft him in the first? Well, keep in mind this is a gaggle of guys that supposedly know what they're doing at the QB position...what are the chances that any of their respective teams are really hurting at QB?

Then you've got the roundtable discussion with Gil Brandt, Ken Herock and Charlie Casserly. Herock got poop-canned from Atlanta, Casserly by Houston by way of Washington, and Brandt I think just sort of retired from the Cowboys to take up an easier journalist career. Anywho they all disagreed with each other all over the board about Miami's draft picks and off season. But at the very end of the article, in one single inoccuous sentence...all three agreed that John Beck is going to be a good pro QB.

Then of course you've got Mueller. Famous for having brought in Delhomme, Bulger, and Aaron Brooks to New Orleans. I don't think he drafted Rick Mirer but he sure did trade him to Wannstedt for a first rounder. Obviously, Mueller was on board with the John Beck pick, whatever that is worth.

And then you've got Cameron. The list of QBs he's been involved with and players at that position is just staggering. From Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, Elvis Grbac at Michigan, Todd Collins at Michigan, to having played against little old Trent Green of Indiana and then personally recommending him to Norv Turner in Washington, Gus Frerotte in Washington, then to Randle El at Indiana and what he did with that program, to recent history with Drew Brees and Phil Rivers...if there's something Cameron knows it is QBs. This guy was all-aboard with Beck too.

Sometimes you wonder if Beck is maybe a bit too nerdy to get along with the modern football player...he's a goody mormon from BYU, film junky, spends his time working on playbook quizzes with his wife...but then you watch him interact with Lorenzo Booker at that Topps football card photo shoot and you hear some testimony from players at BYU...and this guy seems to hold his own fine with the teammates.

And then you've got the practices. At first he had trouble managing the game and the playbook, for obvious reasons. Had some issues with clock management as a result. Also had some issues with the humidity, hard to get use to. But all the while he never looked BAD at any mini-camp. He started feeling more comfortable to where, by the end of mini camps, he started making a few plays that caught some peoples' attention. Then during break, he studies the playbook like crazy and by the rookie training camp everyone is marveling how he has mastered it. He looks good on the first day, then you start to see some trouble he's having on both the first day and the second day recognizing coverage schemes quickly...and by the third day, by all reports he was hot.

And then you ask people about John Beck. Trent Green speaks glowingly about him. Cameron keeps talking about his accuracy, when asked about the (rather unheralded) rookie receivers making an impact right away in rookie camp, first thing Cameron says is that the quarterbacks were real accurate with the ball and that makes all the difference in the world. Ted Ginn's comments on Beck were real interesting, says that he's a guy that could close his eyes and rifle the ball at you and it would come like he's still looking at you, he's that accurate...then talks about how the guy walks through the facility every day getting to know the whole place and working extra, trying to be the best.

You watch the thing unfold and as it unfolds some more you keep trying to ask yourself...is this a mirage? Is this something normal for rookie QBs? Did Ravens fans feel this way about Kyle Boller's start to his career, or did Cleveland fans feel the same about Tim Couch's start? Do they feel that way now about Quinn? Did the Jets fans have this sense about Kellen Clemens?

Like I said, this is a bit of a new experience for us that weren't around during Marino's rookie season, so we don't have much to compare it to...but I have to think at this point that what we're watching is the early growth and unfolding of a success story at the QB position.

The Packers are getting fleeced if they're still paying Favre $10 million for this season. It also goes without saying that the Falcons are getting fleeced.

I have to say on Beck, I was not following anything other than fingerpaints and applesauce when the Fins drafted Marino, so I was not around to see what the atmosphere was like the last time we drafted a high round rookie QB...but I have to think there's something different about this climate with John Beck, a sense of knowing, rather than a sense of wondering or even worse, a sense of frustrated waiting. This guy has too much support around the league from guys in-the-know on quarterbacks.

Chris Mortenson has 7 GMs and Head Coaches he commonly approaches about QB predictions because he says they've proven themselves very accurate over the last decade or so in predicting which QBs would pan out and which wouldn't. They all spoke highly of John Beck as a potential first rounder. Now you may say, ok why didn't anyone draft him in the first? Well, keep in mind this is a gaggle of guys that supposedly know what they're doing at the QB position...what are the chances that any of their respective teams are really hurting at QB?

Then you've got the roundtable discussion with Gil Brandt, Ken Herock and Charlie Casserly. Herock got poop-canned from Atlanta, Casserly by Houston by way of Washington, and Brandt I think just sort of retired from the Cowboys to take up an easier journalist career. Anywho they all disagreed with each other all over the board about Miami's draft picks and off season. But at the very end of the article, in one single inoccuous sentence...all three agreed that John Beck is going to be a good pro QB.

Then of course you've got Mueller. Famous for having brought in Delhomme, Bulger, and Aaron Brooks to New Orleans. I don't think he drafted Rick Mirer but he sure did trade him to Wannstedt for a first rounder. Obviously, Mueller was on board with the John Beck pick, whatever that is worth.

And then you've got Cameron. The list of QBs he's been involved with and players at that position is just staggering. From Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, Elvis Grbac at Michigan, Todd Collins at Michigan, to having played against little old Trent Green of Indiana and then personally recommending him to Norv Turner in Washington, Gus Frerotte in Washington, then to Randle El at Indiana and what he did with that program, to recent history with Drew Brees and Phil Rivers...if there's something Cameron knows it is QBs. This guy was all-aboard with Beck too.

Sometimes you wonder if Beck is maybe a bit too nerdy to get along with the modern football player...he's a goody mormon from BYU, film junky, spends his time working on playbook quizzes with his wife...but then you watch him interact with Lorenzo Booker at that Topps football card photo shoot and you hear some testimony from players at BYU...and this guy seems to hold his own fine with the teammates.

And then you've got the practices. At first he had trouble managing the game and the playbook, for obvious reasons. Had some issues with clock management as a result. Also had some issues with the humidity, hard to get use to. But all the while he never looked BAD at any mini-camp. He started feeling more comfortable to where, by the end of mini camps, he started making a few plays that caught some peoples' attention. Then during break, he studies the playbook like crazy and by the rookie training camp everyone is marveling how he has mastered it. He looks good on the first day, then you start to see some trouble he's having on both the first day and the second day recognizing coverage schemes quickly...and by the third day, by all reports he was hot.

And then you ask people about John Beck. Trent Green speaks glowingly about him. Cameron keeps talking about his accuracy, when asked about the (rather unheralded) rookie receivers making an impact right away in rookie camp, first thing Cameron says is that the quarterbacks were real accurate with the ball and that makes all the difference in the world. Ted Ginn's comments on Beck were real interesting, says that he's a guy that could close his eyes and rifle the ball at you and it would come like he's still looking at you, he's that accurate...then talks about how the guy walks through the facility every day getting to know the whole place and working extra, trying to be the best.

You watch the thing unfold and as it unfolds some more you keep trying to ask yourself...is this a mirage? Is this something normal for rookie QBs? Did Ravens fans feel this way about Kyle Boller's start to his career, or did Cleveland fans feel the same about Tim Couch's start? Do they feel that way now about Quinn? Did the Jets fans have this sense about Kellen Clemens?

Like I said, this is a bit of a new experience for us that weren't around during Marino's rookie season, so we don't have much to compare it to...but I have to think at this point that what we're watching is the early growth and unfolding of a success story at the QB position.

Awesome post!!!! I certainly hope your right!:kick:

I can picture Beck throwing a few blocks, thats one way to get the respect of your peers.

Holy Cr@p i'm excited guys! I really can't take this any longer...
Our rookie class is looking so good this year. Mueller and Cameron may have nailed this class top to bottom!!!

I really hope that your right, but IMO, way too early to be saying that. I want you to be the first one to have said it and be right though.

:kick:

beck...

I'm pretty excited about this guy. His arm looks great... I think he's what we need right now.. GO FINS!! ;_)

Back
Top Bottom