Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out

beck...

I'm pretty excited about this guy. His arm look great...I think he's just what this t4eam need to get fired up!! :kick:

I agree with you but I disagree with everyone else (critics, ESPN, etc..). They all acted like we made a mistake in drafting Ginn instead of Quinn. Even if Quinn turns out to be a great player that doesn't mean that we needed to take him.

If Beck comes in and does great things for us even with Quinn succeeding at the same time, I don't see how anyone could be negative about us passing on Quinn.

Just b/c we needed a QB didn't mean he had to be taken with the #9 pick

Exactly. What if they both perform at about the same level, then you would have to look at what Beck cost us vs. what Quinn would have cost us. If they play similarly then obviously Beck was the better financial choice.

CKparrothead wrote:
I have to say on Beck, I was not following anything other than fingerpaints and applesauce when the Fins drafted Marino, so I was not around to see what the atmosphere was like the last time we drafted a high round rookie QB...but I have to think there's something different about this climate with John Beck, a sense of knowing, rather than a sense of wondering or even worse, a sense of frustrated waiting. This guy has too much support around the league from guys in-the-know on quarterbacks.

Actually when Dan Marino was drafted, no one thought much of it, the other QB's, especially Elway from his stint with the Yankess minor league team, got all of the press, Kelly, Blackledge and to a lesser extent Ken O'Brian all were much more touted then Marino.

We were coming off of a Super Bowl loss to the Redskins, and the "WoodStrock" tandem had performed adequately Marino was a "?" .

"Dan Marino, who slumped as a senior but had a great junior year season"

If one reads Street and Smith from that year, David Overstreet's appearance in Miami was a cause for greater anticipation even though Andra Franklin won the NFL rushing title in 1982. People thought that Overstreet was much more explosive, Marino was just 1 of 6 QB's drafted.

Mark Duper didn't even rate a mention as I recall, it was all Duriel Harris and Nat Moore....

What Beck does have IMO, is there doesn't seem to be any doubt among fans that John Beck can play NFL QB, if not today, then tomorrow, that really is a first in Miami, seriously, I cannot ever remember so much confidence being placed on a rookie QB in miami in the preseason.

Not even Marino had this much confidence placed on him before he ever played in the NFL.....

As long as Beck is pretty much as good (or better) as Quinn, and Ginn doesn't completely tank, we got a bargain. Spending the 40 pick on a guy that is equivalent to the guy we would have gotten at the 9 slot is a great deal, plus you have the guy we actually picked at 9....

and there is the gamble Cameron and Mueller have taken, "if" both players play at a high level for us, then we have passed on the "best for us in the experts opinions" Quinn, in favor of Ginn and Beck.

"If" Cameron had listened to the "experts" then we would have taken someone else in the 2nd (40) and lost out on Beck, and the experts would be singing the praises of CamRam, we might even have been given an "A" grade by Mel Kiper Jr......:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear Beck's looked good so far. I'm thrilled with the acquisition of Green but if Beck can turn into a young Green or Bulger I'll be thrilled. I'm tired of rooting for Harrington, Fiedler, Frerotte and Feeley. It'll be nice knowing that you have a legitimate QB once again. Go Green and Go Beck

I'm glad to hear Beck's looked good so far. I'm thrilled with the acquisition of Green but if Beck can turn into a young Green or Bulger I'll be thrilled. I'm tired of rooting for Harrington, Fiedler, Frerotte and Feeley. It'll be nice knowing that you have a legitimate QB once again. Go Green and Go Beck

The Dolphins have set up a perfect opportunity for the success of John Beck.
Now we have an ideal veteran QB to learn from, we have an offensive minded coaching staff that cares about the position. It seems everything is there for Beck. He is the future QB that the franchise has needed for a long, long time.

I like his attitude and his fire. Excellent arm too! Let's hope it translates to the playing field. After all that is where it counts.

Actually when Dan Marino was drafted, no one thought much of it, the other QB's, especially Elway from his stint with the Yankess minor league team, got all of the press, Kelly, Blackledge and to a lesser extent Ken O'Brian all were much more touted then Marino.

We were coming off of a Super Bowl loss to the Redskins, and the "WoodStrock" tandem had performed adequately Marino was a "?" .

"Dan Marino, who slumped as a senior but had a great junior year season"

If one reads Street and Smith from that year, David Overstreet's appearance in Miami was a cause for greater anticipation even though Andra Franklin won the NFL rushing title in 1982. People thought that Overstreet was much more explosive, Marino was just 1 of 6 QB's drafted.

Mark Duper didn't even rate a mention as I recall, it was all Duriel Harris and Nat Moore....

What Beck does have IMO, is there doesn't seem to be any doubt among fans that John Beck can play NFL QB, if not today, then tomorrow, that really is a first in Miami, seriously, I cannot ever remember so much confidence being placed on a rookie QB in miami in the preseason.

Not even Marino had this much confidence placed on him before he ever played in the NFL.....

I didn't know Franklin led the NFL in rushing. I thought McNeil of NYJ led the league that year.

Duper didn't play much his rookie year because he got into Shula's doghouse for pulling his hamstring racing Paul Lankford. Lankford had challenged Duper to see who was faster.

I still don't know how you came up with that last statement. Just as with Marino, Beck is not expected to play much his rookie season.

The Dolphins have set up a perfect opportunity for the success of John Beck.
Now we have an ideal veteran QB to learn from, we have an offensive minded coaching staff that cares about the position. It seems everything is there for Beck. He is the future QB that the franchise has needed for a long, long time.

I like his attitude and his fire. Excellent arm too! Let's hope it translates to the playing field. After all that is where it counts.

Yeah. Green was the perfect mentor. Two good years is all we need and he can handoff to our next franchise QB, hopefully Beck.

The Packers are getting fleeced if they're still paying Favre $10 million for this season. It also goes without saying that the Falcons are getting fleeced.

I have to say on Beck, I was not following anything other than fingerpaints and applesauce when the Fins drafted Marino, so I was not around to see what the atmosphere was like the last time we drafted a high round rookie QB...but I have to think there's something different about this climate with John Beck, a sense of knowing, rather than a sense of wondering or even worse, a sense of frustrated waiting. This guy has too much support around the league from guys in-the-know on quarterbacks.

Chris Mortenson has 7 GMs and Head Coaches he commonly approaches about QB predictions because he says they've proven themselves very accurate over the last decade or so in predicting which QBs would pan out and which wouldn't. They all spoke highly of John Beck as a potential first rounder. Now you may say, ok why didn't anyone draft him in the first? Well, keep in mind this is a gaggle of guys that supposedly know what they're doing at the QB position...what are the chances that any of their respective teams are really hurting at QB?

Then you've got the roundtable discussion with Gil Brandt, Ken Herock and Charlie Casserly. Herock got poop-canned from Atlanta, Casserly by Houston by way of Washington, and Brandt I think just sort of retired from the Cowboys to take up an easier journalist career. Anywho they all disagreed with each other all over the board about Miami's draft picks and off season. But at the very end of the article, in one single inoccuous sentence...all three agreed that John Beck is going to be a good pro QB.

Then of course you've got Mueller. Famous for having brought in Delhomme, Bulger, and Aaron Brooks to New Orleans. I don't think he drafted Rick Mirer but he sure did trade him to Wannstedt for a first rounder. Obviously, Mueller was on board with the John Beck pick, whatever that is worth.

And then you've got Cameron. The list of QBs he's been involved with and players at that position is just staggering. From Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, Elvis Grbac at Michigan, Todd Collins at Michigan, to having played against little old Trent Green of Indiana and then personally recommending him to Norv Turner in Washington, Gus Frerotte in Washington, then to Randle El at Indiana and what he did with that program, to recent history with Drew Brees and Phil Rivers...if there's something Cameron knows it is QBs. This guy was all-aboard with Beck too.

Sometimes you wonder if Beck is maybe a bit too nerdy to get along with the modern football player...he's a goody mormon from BYU, film junky, spends his time working on playbook quizzes with his wife...but then you watch him interact with Lorenzo Booker at that Topps football card photo shoot and you hear some testimony from players at BYU...and this guy seems to hold his own fine with the teammates.

And then you've got the practices. At first he had trouble managing the game and the playbook, for obvious reasons. Had some issues with clock management as a result. Also had some issues with the humidity, hard to get use to. But all the while he never looked BAD at any mini-camp. He started feeling more comfortable to where, by the end of mini camps, he started making a few plays that caught some peoples' attention. Then during break, he studies the playbook like crazy and by the rookie training camp everyone is marveling how he has mastered it. He looks good on the first day, then you start to see some trouble he's having on both the first day and the second day recognizing coverage schemes quickly...and by the third day, by all reports he was hot.

And then you ask people about John Beck. Trent Green speaks glowingly about him. Cameron keeps talking about his accuracy, when asked about the (rather unheralded) rookie receivers making an impact right away in rookie camp, first thing Cameron says is that the quarterbacks were real accurate with the ball and that makes all the difference in the world. Ted Ginn's comments on Beck were real interesting, says that he's a guy that could close his eyes and rifle the ball at you and it would come like he's still looking at you, he's that accurate...then talks about how the guy walks through the facility every day getting to know the whole place and working extra, trying to be the best.

You watch the thing unfold and as it unfolds some more you keep trying to ask yourself...is this a mirage? Is this something normal for rookie QBs? Did Ravens fans feel this way about Kyle Boller's start to his career, or did Cleveland fans feel the same about Tim Couch's start? Do they feel that way now about Quinn? Did the Jets fans have this sense about Kellen Clemens?

Like I said, this is a bit of a new experience for us that weren't around during Marino's rookie season, so we don't have much to compare it to...but I have to think at this point that what we're watching is the early growth and unfolding of a success story at the QB position.

GREAT freakin post CK, well done!

I've liked everything I've seen from Beck so far. I especially like the fact that he's a "gym rat", the more of those type of guys you have on your team the better, and if you get one at QB great things can happen.

Recent history has engrained a healthy amount of apprehension in me, but Beck and this draft class as a whole have me very excited about the future. Four out of our first five picks will, most likely, be solid contributors from game 1 of the season and Beck will take a year to learn the ropes. (I actually hope he ends up starting at some point this season)

I didn't know Franklin led the NFL in rushing. I thought McNeil of NYJ led the league that year.

Duper didn't play much his rookie year because he got into Shula's doghouse for pulling his hamstring racing Paul Lankford. Lankford had challenged Duper to see who was faster.

I still don't know how you came up with that last statement. Just as with Marino, Beck is not expected to play much his rookie season.

You are correct McNeil beat Franklin by 70 yds in strike shortened 1982.

Compare "not expected to play much his rookie year" to "Beck is the man" type threads on Finheaven. Marino was a curiosity when he was drafted right before Darrel Green, no one knew what to expect about him, wereas Beck is expected to play soon, as if add water, shake, talk to Trent Green and "poof" NFL starter.

IMO, I would like to see John Beck play this year, if we weren't as close as we are to being a winning team, he more then likely would play this year and maybe start IMO.

The same thing was never said in the preseason about Dan Marino.

BTW a really cool story about Duper and Lankford.

I do remember that year in Dolphins camp Mark Clayton was jumping ping pong tables. (1983)

One thing I've noted, amongst all of the many reports and articles about John Beck, is occasionally you'll read the mention of his studying. Normally its merely a tidbit here and there. But when rookie camp started, I read another portion in some article about how it looked like he's grasping the play book better than most rookies would.
So reading about all of this and keeping it in the back of my mind, I begin to think about other players that are study freaks. The likes of Zach Thomas and Peyton Manning come to mind.
They study so very much, their team and the other teams. Intelligence can over come some lack of talent or size.
Just a tidbit from me about what i've noticed.

Having watched Beck for his entire 4 years at BYU, and seeing him go to Miami, I couldn't possibly be happier. You are all now seeing WHO this guy is. What he's all about. Something I'd been spoiled with over the last 4 years!!!

I'm happy to see he's doing well there, there is not doubt about that. I'm amazed at the foresight of Cam/Mueller et al. These guys knew what they are doing. Miami is going to be stronger for it, and as you've seen Beck is an incredible leader.

This did not come straightaway. He has overcome a lot of struggles while he was at BYU. Freshman year, straight off of a two year mission, he's thrown into the mix. He ends up the starter by end of year. Sophmore year, he learns a more complex offense, has no dedicated QB coach (Crowton was HC, OC, and QB Coach - too much, and time developing QB's sacrificed).

Crowton finally gets pushed out, and Mendenhall enters. In comes Brandon Doman...probably one of the smartest QB's to have never made it in the NFL. He's an even better coach. He works with Beck, again under a new offense, and Beck leads BYU to a 6-6 season.

Enter Sr year. 11-2, smashing Oregon in the Las Vegas bowl, finishing one of the best years seen at BYU in a long time. Becomes 2nd in passing all time at BYU behind Heisman winnter Ty Detmer.

One thing I know about this guy. He's a work horse. He doesn't give up, no matter how difficult it may get. And you know he will be dedicated. He's a winner! There's no doubt.

If Miami is smart enough to hold onto him over the coming years, he will not disappoint.

The situation in Miami couldn't be more perfect. All the right decisions have been made, and you guys are soooo lucky. Not just with Beck, but the whole thing. There's an upbeat feeling in Miami. Great things are in the future.

And I'll be rooting for it all! Go Beck, Go Green, Go Ginn, Go Miami!!!

Beck just seems to have that swagger, not ****y but confident, that all elite QBs have. Couple that with his physical talents and work ethic and we have a great future QB on our hands :o) I'm just glad we have the luxury of not having pressure to throw him into the fire right away (barring an injury to Green). Most QB's tend to benefit tremendously from having at least one year to sit and learn which should make him ready to go next year or the following.

Back
Top Bottom