Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie report: Beck's standing out

You are correct McNeil beat Franklin by 70 yds in strike shortened 1982.

Compare "not expected to play much his rookie year" to "Beck is the man" type threads on Finheaven. Marino was a curiosity when he was drafted right before Darrel Green, no one knew what to expect about him, wereas Beck is expected to play soon, as if add water, shake, talk to Trent Green and "poof" NFL starter.

IMO, I would like to see John Beck play this year, if we weren't as close as we are to being a winning team, he more then likely would play this year and maybe start IMO.

The same thing was never said in the preseason about Dan Marino.

BTW a really cool story about Duper and Lankford.

I do remember that year in Dolphins camp Mark Clayton was jumping ping pong tables. (1983)

I may be wrong on this but...I don't think the internet and FinHeaven was around in 1983. :wink: I am so sure that if it was, the buzz about Marino would have been just as great if not greater than the buzz about Beck this year. If you had seen David Woodley play against good defenses, you would know just how bad a QB he really was. I know my brother and I was celebrating when the Dolphins drafted Marino.

I've heard some comparisons to Brees.

He has been compared to both, and there are some accuracies in both comparisons. (Thank God..those are two good names to be compared to.) He has better size than Brees though. He is somewhat small-ish, but not much. Brees is definitely shorter. What really flew under the radar is that his arm strength is much better than many assumed scouting him. Throwing a football has some similarities to a golf swing in that much of the power is not generated in the arms, but in the body and hips. Beck played his senior season on two bum ankles which compromised his power. He had to generate most of his power in his arms which definitely sapped his throwing strength. A lot of scouts watched video and assumed this meant he was accurate, but not very strong. This could not be further from the truth! He does not have a Jamarcus Russell type cannon, but he can make all the throws at the next level with plenty of pepper. I have not been as excited in a single draft prospect as I have been with Beck in quite some time.

I may be wrong on this but...I don't think the internet and FinHeaven was around in 1983. :wink: I am so sure that if it was, the buzz about Marino would have been just as great if not greater than the buzz about Beck this year. If you had seen David Woodley play against good defenses, you would know just how bad a QB he really was. I know my brother and I was celebrating when the Dolphins drafted Marino.

Oh now that is cute.....:tongue:

All I remember about Woodley was he could run a bit, and I liked Don Strock better then David Woodley.

The buzz that year was all John Elway's forcing the Dolts to trade him for Chris Hinton, no trade and he was going to play for the Yankees until the draft rolled around again.....

John Beck just acts like a pro already, studious, and physically talented, and the Miami night scene holds no allure for him, IMO he is going to be an excellent QB for us, and when he is, I hope all of the people who bagged on his "maturity" step up and cheer him....26 and he was a fossil to some of my fellow Finheaven denizens....

The only real potential weakness I see in him so far is that he may try a bit too hard and put to much pressure on himself to succeed right now, this instant.

Oh now that is cute.....:tongue:

All I remember about Woodley was he could run a bit, and I liked Don Strock better then David Woodley.

The buzz that year was all John Elway's forcing the Dolts to trade him for Chris Hinton, no trade and he was going to play for the Yankees until the draft rolled around again.....

John Beck just acts like a pro already, studious, and physically talented, and the Miami night scene holds no allure for him, IMO he is going to be an excellent QB for us, and when he is, I hope all of the people who bagged on his "maturity" step up and cheer him....26 and he was a fossil to some of my fellow Finheaven denizens....

The only real potential weakness I see in him so far is that he may try a bit too hard and put to much pressure on himself to succeed right now, this instant.

I don't think you have too worry about Beck putting too much pressure on himself to succeed right now because he is willing to talk to and absorb as much information from Trent Green as possible.

From the first day of rookie camp.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...spdolphins25pnjul25,0,1185804.story?track=rss
"Today, there was a play when I thought one thing was going on in the secondary," said Beck who signed his four-year deal Monday, leaving Ginn as the only unsigned player on the 87-man roster. "I made a decision and came back and asked Trent, 'In that situation, what did you see?' His eyes see things differently than mine because he has those veteran eyes, a lot more experience."

I don't think you have too worry about Beck putting too much pressure on himself to succeed right now because he is willing to talk to and absorb as much information from Trent Green as possible.

From the first day of rookie camp.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...spdolphins25pnjul25,0,1185804.story?track=rss

It's a bit different when an Int is run back for a TD though.

On those sorts of things, the only remedy is to get him out on the field and gaining experience, and we are potentially too good of a team to just start a Rookie QB no matter how much film he watched.

Back
Top Bottom