Dolphins sorting through difficult personnel decisions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sorting through difficult personnel decisions

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With their playoff hopes realistically gone, the Dolphins have gone into evaluation mode, sorting through looming personnel decisions.
Some are already obvious, such as the need to procure at least one impact linebacker, preferably one who can man the middle, and add a quality guard.

Here are five other decisions that must still play out, with the remaining games shaping the team’s mindset:

### Do the Dolphins try to keep both Olivier Vernon and Derrick Shelby, and how much do they offer?
The Dolphins prefer to add at least one defensive end (there are some good ones in the draft) and they’re likely to keep one or two among Cameron Wake(under contract for 2016 but coming off an Achilles’ injury), Vernon and Shelby.

Miami hasn’t conveyed its intentions to Vernon and Shelby, who want sizable deals because of the demand for skilled defensive ends. Quinton Coples said he was told he’s in the 2016 plans, but likely at a reduced salary.

And keep this in mind: It will be difficult, if not impossible, to find anyone better than Vernon or Wake in a mediocre free agent class.

Pro Football Focus rates Vernon 11th among edge defenders. The only other impending free agents rated in the top 30 are No. 8 Robert Ayers (just two sacks for the Giants), No. 13 William Hayes (2.5 sacks for the Rams) and No. 26 Aldon Smith (suspended).

The Dolphins always have valued Shelby’s work against the run, but PFF said his run-stopping has diminished greatly in recent weeks and ranks him 79thagainst the run among edge defenders.

Shelby hopes to get starter’s money somewhere, and he’s not going to get that here if Vernon re-signs or if Wake returns with a restructured deal.
Vernon would love guaranteed money in the range of $30 million to $35 million, but the Dolphins might not be willing to go that high. They also have the option of placing the transition tag on him for one year, which would pay $12 million but also would leave Miami at risk of losing him if the Dolphins don’t match an offer, which happened with Charles Clay.

Placing a $15 million franchise tag is also an option but not an ideal one for Miami.

After producing 11.5 and 6.5 sacks the past two seasons, Vernon has four in 2015. But he has had four sacks taken away by penalty and he has been very good as a pass rusher the past three games, with two sacks, 11 hits and eight hurries.
Pro Football Focus rates him 11th among edge defenders as a pass-rusher but just 91st against the run, which is a concern.
“The sacks are going to come; I’ve got to be patient,” he said. “If I think about sacks all the time, it will drive you crazy. I’ve been pretty good this year. I’ve been getting more attention since [Wake’s injury].”

### How much are the Dolphins willing to pay to keep Brent Grimes?
The Dolphins know they need at least one starting cornerback (unless Bobby McCain plays brilliantly in the next month), and they might need two, depending on how Grimes closes the season.

Grimes, 32, is due $7.9 million next season, with a $9 million cap hit if he’s on the team, $3 million if he’s not. The Dolphins' preference is to keep him. But he could be asked to take a pay cut if he keeps struggling.

This is worrisome: In two recent games against Buffalo’s Sammy Watkins and the Jets’ Brandon Marshall, Grimes allowed 17 of 20 passes thrown against him to be caught by those two, for 299 yards. Grimes also ranks in the bottom 12 of the league in yards allowed per catch and has slipped to 61st in PFF rankings of cornerbacks.

### What should the Dolphins do with veterans Koa Misi and Earl Mitchell?
Neither is especially expensive, but the issue is whether Miami can upgrade at either spot.

Misi has a $4.9 million cap hit if he’s on the team, $1.2 million if he’s not. If Miami moves on from Misi – which wouldn’t be a surprise - free agent options include Seattle’s Bruce Irvin (10th by PFF), Minnesota’s Chad Greenway (50th), Buffalo’s Nigel Bradham (77) and Cincinnati’s Vincent Rey (52nd).
Mitchell has struggled getting off blocks at times, and Pro Football Focus grades him the worst run defender in the league among all qualifying NFL defensive tackles.

He’s due to make a reasonable $2.9 million next season, with a $3.5 million cap hit if he’s on the team, $1 million if he’s not. A strong finish would give Miami some incentive to keep him.

### Does Jay Ajayi do enough in the final month to make the Dolphins re-think what they offer Lamar Miller?
Miami is expected to try to re-sign Miller, who was second in the league in yards per carry average last season, at 5.1, and 10th this season, at 4.8.
But Ajayi’s development over the final five weeks could make the Dolphins less flexible in negotiations. He’s averaging 6.0 per carry on 18 attempts.
The Dolphins ideally prefer Miller and Ajayi as a 1-2 punch, and it would be surprising if Miller moves on. But most teams are reluctant to pay big money for running backs, and Miami’s bargaining position will increase if Ajayi continues to thrive.
### What to do with Rishard Matthews and Jordan Cameron?

Cameron hasn’t contributed in the passing game nearly as much as expected (he’s 25th among tight ends in receptions) and it’s almost unfathomable to envision him returning under terms of the current contract, which carries a $9.5 million cap number if he’s on the team next season (and a $7.5 million salary), but a $2 million cap hit if he’s cut. His close to the season will determine whether Miami is inclined to restructure or simply move on.
Matthews (43 catches, 662 yards, four touchdowns) has exceeded all expectations, but Miami hasn’t made him an offer and knows it needs to create snaps for DeVante Parker.

Cheap and productive Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills aren’t going anywhere. So though Miami wants to keep him, there’s a good chance Matthews will find a team willing to pay him more. Matthews, incidentally, will miss Sunday's game with cracked ribs.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...fficult-personnel-decisions-heat-marlins.html

So Olivier Vernon wants significantly more guaranteed money than Jerry Hughes got (5 years, $45m, $22m guaranteed). No thanks.

Pretty depressing reading actually. A team with numerous holes on the current roster will have many more if they can't renegotiate some of these contracts (Grimes, Wake, Cameron, Coples).

I'd resign Shelby no problem; restructure Wake, Misi, and maybe Grimes. OV - go get your big paycheck. Suh, Wake, and the various holes on defense have killed any chance of getting a fair market deal from the Dolphins, Go get paid!

Same thing on offence with Ajai emerging and with Tannehill bloated deal resigning Miller at a fair market deal is not going to happen. The Dolphins have to save money to afford to overpay for marginal OG given the front office situation.

Get an established veteran HC and front office and maybe some quality FA's will sign for fair market deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
we have to realize that Wake and Grimes have been on teams that last four teams that are mediocre. One is always injured and one can't cover bigger WR's. Time to move on

The Dolphins want to renegotiate contracts left and right with the implication that the players involved will be cut if they don't take the deal.

It's crap like this that provides all the justification in the world for players to take a me first attitude when dealing with the NFL. How do you expect players to have any sort of loyalty to a franchise when the franchise won't even fulfill financial agreements that were voluntarily entered into by both the team and the player? Why show loyalty to a team when that team will cut you whenever it becomes convenient for them to do?

2016 will be fun. 6-10 based on all the contracts and renegs needed. We're in a terrible situation. So many holes

I think the team should look to create a pattern of "signing their own". You cannot sign them all, but where I was ready to let OV walk, I am actually more focused on brining him back.

I could see Mario Williams getting cut in Buffalo, but there is not much around in FA as this article shows. Plus, I could make an argument to sign a CB and cut Grimes. From there, draft a DE to replace OV, but CB's are getting paid way more than they are worth.

I am pushing to get OV back which is an about-face for me.

Matthews is done. You have to go with Landry, Stills and Parker. Mix in a vet and Hazel and you are good to go.

Miller loves South Florida and I bet if you are fair with him he'd come back. Good football player. Again, keep your own. It creates good feelings within the locker room and gives incentive to those who are drafted. Plus, I always believe that drafted players are more invested in turning the team's culture around as opposed to FA's.

Mitchell and Misi are pretty cheap, but they are so invisible I might cut them based on production.

Matthews is done. You have to go with Landry, Stills and Parker. Mix in a vet and Hazel and you are good to go.

Miller loves South Florida and I bet if you are fair with him he'd come back. Good football player. Again, keep your own. It creates good feelings within the locker room and gives incentive to those who are drafted. Plus, I always believe that drafted players are more invested in turning the team's culture around as opposed to FA's.

Mitchell and Misi are pretty cheap, but they are so invisible I might cut them based on production.

Pretty much a good summary. Most of these decisions to me aren't that hard to make. I'm sorry if the best OV can do with Wake and Suh on the DL is what..2 sacks at the time? That's not going to work I'm sure we can find better. Mitchell is a lost cause at this stage.

Pretty much a good summary. Most of these decisions to me aren't that hard to make. I'm sorry if the best OV can do with Wake and Suh on the DL is what..2 sacks at the time? That's not going to work I'm sure we can find better. Mitchell is a lost cause at this stage.

OV has brought a ton of hurries and pressures. That counts as much as sacks. Keep your own. He is young. Played college ball locally. I would work to bring him back.

OV has brought a ton of hurries and pressures. That counts as much as sacks. Keep your own. He is young. Played college ball locally. I would work to bring him back.

Hes going to command too much money. Pass.

What the Dolphins do at the top will influence how much anyone really wants to stay in Miami.

I expect to lose some good ones.

Hey, I'd like him back too but talk of $30-$35m guaranteed puts him in Cameron Jordan territory (5 yrs, $60m, $33m guaranteed). OV isn't worth anywhere near that. If he would accept 5 yrs, $35m, $18m guaranteed I'd bring him back. That's a fair deal to me, but he's looking for way more.

I would look to upgrade at all the Linebacker spots. We are so weak in this area, we should look to replace almost everyone.

At CB, I would resign Grimes....but at a reduced price. He isn't worth his contract price, but he still has value and could provide good quality play if paired with another good corner.

Re-sign Miller, he has to stay. Vernon worries me. He strikes me as one of those guys who's production will go down once he gets paid. Just an opinion.....if he is reasonable, I would try to resign him. If not, let him walk. Mathews walks (we have actually turned our receiving corp into a deep unit)

Wake is a dilemma....he can still be productive, especially when paired with Suh....but he is becoming injury prone and our run defense is not good. I don't think we re-sign him at his current price. At a lower price yes....and/or if we can protect him against the run a bit more with better LB play on that side I would consider trying to find a way to keep him around due to his strength against the pass.

Back
Top Bottom