Dolphins sorting through difficult personnel decisions | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sorting through difficult personnel decisions

I was not high on OV even starting a few games ago, but he's turned it around and played hard each game. Is he playing for the contract? Probably, but I think as a franchise you have to reward players who try hard and give it their all, and OV has played well in years prior to show he's not a 1-year wonder. I would give him soemthing in the ballpark of wat he wants, keep the guy happy, and let him help build the chemistry with Suh, Coples, Phillips, etc.

I think you renegoiate Wake's contract for sure. Can't afford to be paying him that much if he's on his last legs, just not smart. He was injured pretty much all season except for 2-3 games.
If he wants to chase a ring somewhere else, I would give him that ability, he's earned it.
We should probably draft a DE anyways if Shelby decides to go too.

Grimes restructures or he's gone. He isn't worth the cap hit. Same for Jordan Cameron who I want them to retain.

Starting LBs are a must outside of Jenkins. The entire draft might have to be defense. Pick up some serviceable OL in free agency and acquire an offensive coordinator and HC who aren't bitches.

Tannehill gets one more year in a new system that isn't from the Philbin Playbook of Hell.

Id cut Misi, Wake, Mitchell, and Grimes if he's not willing to restructure. Nigel Bradham replacing Misi would be a homerun in my opinion. Try to get back Shelby, Vernon, Matthews, and Miller.

What a GM you would just outright cut Wake? When many times would gladly give you at least a 3rd for his services..

Last edited by a moderator:
based on the suh and tanny contracts unless Miami dumps half their team or restructures then Miami is on another rebuild for 3-4 years and that's why you see the fins 6th to 7th choices for GM, head coach, etc and this doesn't even account for the horrible draft choices the last few years. Who would have thunk Jimmy Johnson had the best draft choices in the past 30 years.

I was not high on OV even starting a few games ago, but he's turned it around and played hard each game. Is he playing for the contract? Probably, but I think as a franchise you have to reward players who try hard and give it their all, and OV has played well in years prior to show he's not a 1-year wonder. I would give him soemthing in the ballpark of wat he wants, keep the guy happy, and let him help build the chemistry with Suh, Coples, Phillips, etc.

I think you renegoiate Wake's contract for sure. Can't afford to be paying him that much if he's on his last legs, just not smart. He was injured pretty much all season except for 2-3 games.
If he wants to chase a ring somewhere else, I would give him that ability, he's earned it.
We should probably draft a DE anyways if Shelby decides to go too.

I would try to sign Vernon and Shelby. Drafting a DT and a DE seems to be a mid round priority now.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

based on the suh and tanny contracts unless Miami dumps half their team or restructures then Miami is on another rebuild for 3-4 years and that's why you see the fins 6th to 7th choices for GM, head coach, etc and this doesn't even account for the horrible draft choices the last few years. Who would have thunk Jimmy Johnson had the best draft choices in the past 30 years.

Jimmy Johnson always traded down, accumulated more picks, and used the shot gun approach. He found some players, but he also missed on many others as well.

Anyone want to re-set the OV argument after his game today? 25 year old pass rusher you cannot let leave. He is just starting to figure it out.

What about using the transition tag on him?

Re-sign or franchise. Learned a tough lesson last year with Clay.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Transition tag does not do not much outside of teams setting up a devil of a contract.

Blows my mind that Earl Mitchell is the worst starting interior d-lineman in the league but we leave him as the starter. He needs to go.

I've been harsh on Vernon in the past but he's been red hot for the past 4-5 weeks. I'd use his inconsistency against him in negotiations but would bring him back.

If you get a 3rd for Wake you're a wizard. Also in fantasy land

Nothing all that difficult about it. It's a roster of losers. None of which you'd build a team around. They have limited power in this situation. Lamar, Vernon, and Shelby are worth resigning but only if the price is right. Vernon is the most crucial but it's best not to overpay. It would be foolish to let Lamar get away considering this is a depressed RB $ market. Barring greatly reduced salaries you cut: Grimes, Earl, Misi, Cameron. Let Rishard walk unless he's a bargain.

Yes we have holes, but none of these players are worth building around and some of them are deadweight.

So people's here to get better is to let the one guy getting a pass rush to go free....unreal.

Whats unreal is changing ones mind regarding a player who for the first 6 games produced 1 sack and 8 tackles
not to mention the human penalty machine. The last 6 games 32 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks with hurries and qb pressures galore

Who IS Vernon? Is he the walking turd for the first 6 games or the pro bowl player the last 6 game?
Did he "WAKE UP" and realize he's in a contract year?

Not sure I'd invest $30-$40 million for the jekyll and hyde of defensive ends

Anyone want to re-set the OV argument after his game today? 25 year old pass rusher you cannot let leave. He is just starting to figure it out.

At what price is the question? I don't think there is a single post in this thread stating OV is a garbage player, but rather people balking at the asking price of $30-$35m guaranteed. No doubt he helped his cause yesterday with a monster game (apart from his infuriating offsides penalty), but the reality is we're going to struggle to fit a Cameron Jordan sized contract within our cap and I don't think OV is worth that money. Jerry Hughes' contract should be his ceiling in my eyes. Otherwise, you're just paying for potential and praying that OV shows consistency in subsequent seasons (certainly possible, given his youth as you've pointed out).

Too much for grimes as he's not a number 1 corner. Big Wrs kill him. Will basically be 4 losses right there becUse Watkins and Marshall will murder us.

Gotta build a team to beat the divsion which means a good line, good running game and at least one stud DB to deal with the above mentioned Wrs and gronk.

Back
Top Bottom