Dolphins undrafted rookie linebacker Zach Vigil makes statement | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins undrafted rookie linebacker Zach Vigil makes statement

The fact that he has to break down like he does in order to redirect is a serious problem...especially at mike where backs have so many two way goes in coverage

theres way too much hesitation there...its like hitting the pause button on the dvr except hes the only one not moving

Theres also some good things...3rd and 2 1350 roughly 3rd quarter chucks a wr in the 5 yard zone to the turf...thats a kid who thinks the game...understands situational play...wr came into his turf understands the distance to the sticks and his positioning wrs heads down drop him like a bad habit...polar opposite of philip wheeler for instance

Looks fluid in his zone drop and provided his head and shoulders are pointed in that direction no real issue covering ground and to the boundary

I think PFF mentioned all the balls thrown at his diection were caught. Nonetheless I'm surprised this thread is this big after 1 game of pre season vs 3rd stringers. We still need to wait more to actually see if this guy is worth hyping up.

With Tripp & Misi injured, along with our guards holding up, all eyes are on linebackers, especially Zack.

One of these 3 linebackers are making this roster most likely.

11 min mark 3rd quarter reads the left guard pulling steps up to fill and take on mike hull late to read and react gets caught inside doesnt fill and its a 20 yard gallop into the secondary...ideally vigil takes on and takes away that angle for the back or sheds and makes the tackle in the backfield in the process but thats like luke kuechly stuff there and not expected...hull gets murdered on the play get used to it...

That plays a direct result of hull not showing read and diag and as a result instead of flowing laterally into where the ball will go post snap reading keys he gets reached at the 2nd level and blocked into next week

Of the udfas though vigils easily the one to keep...theres no doubt nor should there be any that hes making this 53...zero doubt

I just wonder if i can hide his physical limitations more at sam but not lose any of the smarts and feel for situational play

It sucks though cause if he had better hips i think hed be a solid long term starting mike

Of the udfas though vigils easily the one to keep...theres no doubt nor should there be any that hes making this 53...zero doubt

I just wonder if i can hide his physical limitations more at sam but not lose any of the smarts and feel for situational play

It sucks though cause if he had better hips i think hed be a solid long term starting mike

How does Vigil's dexterity compare to Misi's in your eyes? Right now a good MLB prospect isn't walking through the doors. But can he be a short term upgrade over Misi at the Mike?

How does Vigil's dexterity compare to Misi's in your eyes? Right now a good MLB prospect isn't walking through the doors. But can he be a short term upgrade over Misi at the Mike?

Or Shepherd's hips too?

More on Vigil making an impression:

Zach Vigil has been getting a lot of attention lately around Dolphins training camp.

He’s been getting more and more opportunities during practice, looked impressive during the intrasquad scrimmage at FIU and then turned in a solid showing in the preseason opener against the Chicago Bears.

Vigil is one of four rookie free agents the Dolphins have at linebacker this summer, but he’s the one who has stood out because of his instincts and his knack for being around the ball.

But when he was surrounded by reporters after practice Monday and was asked what he thought was the first thing fans would notice about him on the field, his answer had nothing to do with football.

“Probably my horrible hair,” he answered quickly.

As the media around him laughed, Vigil proceeded to explain that his brown hair is the longest it’s ever been and that he decided to grow it out on a whim.

He also was quick to point out he sees no magic powers in it and that it might be gone quickly.

“This? Shoot, I don’t know,” Vigil said. “We’ll see how things go. One of those days, if it’s too hot out here, it’s going off. I promise you that. I’m not that attached to it.

“I just really haven’t taken the time to go get it done yet. We’ll see how much longer it lasts.”

It’s not just the long hair that’s different for Vigil these days.

For the first time in three years, his brother isn’t lining up at linebacker next to him. See, Zach’s younger brother Nick also was a linebacker at Utah State.

While two brothers playing next to each other always makes for a nice story, the Vigils actually were stars. Both of them.

As Dolphins fans might know by now, Zach was selected as the Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2014. Guess who else was a member of the All-MWC first-team defense: Yep, Nick Vigil.

“Man, that was awesome,” Zach said of playing next to his brother. “That was something that not a lot of brothers get to experience together. You know, I miss playing with my brother. I was able to play with him for two years. We started together last year and that was special. And that’s something, whether I play for 15 more years or if I never play again, that I’ll always hold real close to my heart because I love my little brother and I wish him the best this coming year.”

Nick Vigil will be a junior at Utah State this fall and will be looking to continue doing the family name proud.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...pression/becd2df8-3edc-4b88-8feb-92e59a3645bf

I think vigils got the best awareness and iq of any of misi or sheppard as a lb but id probably try to play him in situations where i can roll out zone or rally to the ball after the completion in the underneath...long distances to the stick in other words

Kinda be hard to do though...you dont want that caught in man to man in space...so how much sub package run can you give him?

I think vigils got the best awareness and iq of any of misi or sheppard as a lb but id probably try to play him in situations where i can roll out zone or rally to the ball after the completion in the underneath...long distances to the stick in other words

Kinda be hard to do though...you dont want that caught in man to man in space...so how much sub package run can you give him?

im slowly agreeing with you on Vigils awareness over Shepard and Misi in the middle.. .still wanting to see more of it though. i am liking what he is doing all in all so far!!!

would you think Vigil comes in often on shorter yard plays? first downs?

with Misi healthy I still see him over Vigil though for now in the middle... but if we need or can bounce Misi back outside sometimes, is it Vigil who is in the middle?

still have time to see and figure this all out

Most likely you arent gonna sub guys in and out like that...either they will be 2 down guys or they will be 3 down guys like jenkins or they will be sub package

You probably just have to live with the minuses whatever role you would give him...i just know that teams will scheme to exploit a physical limitation like that...just how much they can hurt you with it probably revolves around the distance to the sticks and how much you get caught playing man to man

Miami plays a lot of zone with the lbs in coyles scheme but im sure that also has to do with personnel limitations in coverage which both misi and sheppard have also...neither carries coverage very well more flats and soft zone drop lbs...misis range isnt great inside either...sheppards just out there like spencer paysinger pretty much...doing nothing

Most likely you arent gonna sub guys in and out like that...either they will be 2 down guys or they will be 3 down guys like jenkins or they will be sub package

You probably just have to live with the minuses whatever role you would give him...i just know that teams will scheme to exploit a physical limitation like that...just how much they can hurt you with it probably revolves around the distance to the sticks and how much you get caught playing man to man

Miami plays a lot of zone with the lbs in coyles scheme but im sure that also has to do with personnel limitations in coverage which both misi and sheppard have also...neither carries coverage very well more flats and soft zone drop lbs...misis range isnt great inside either...sheppards just out there like spencer paysinger pretty much...doing nothing

yeah it would be difficult switching around often, i understand.... Misis range definitely isnt great on inside too agreed

yeah thats football though too... finding those weaknesses and exploiting the other team with it. everyone just gotta keep working their bodies, abilities, and knowledge in all ways to better themselves... no matter who gets the nods to start or what not.

i just hope everyone is healthy... god!!!

Bucky Brooks:
Miami Dolphins: Zach Vigil, LB

GRADE: A-

Strengths: Active linebackers with instincts and rush skills always stand out on tape, and Vigil showed a knack for playmaking and a strong nose for the ball during his preseason debut against the Bears on Thursday, finishing with five tackles and a sack.

Weaknesses: It's hard to knock Vigil for his performance in Week 1, but the youngster has to work on his overall consistency. The splash plays masked some of Vigil's unrefined technique and false steps, but diligent work in the film room could help him play faster in Week 2.

What he needs to work on: Undrafted rookie free agents must make an immediate impression if they are to stick on the 53-man roster, and Vigil definitely opened eyes with his strong showing in Week 1. But he has to continue making plays, even with his on-field time likely to decrease as the starters get extended reps going forward. To sustain momentum, he must make a splash play on special teams or with the second- and third-stringers the next time out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-player-grades-week-1-marcus-mariota-uneven

I think we have to play zone anyways no matter who is at LB

Back
Top Bottom