Don Banks: Biggest offseason mistake? Phins taking Culpepper over Brees | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Banks: Biggest offseason mistake? Phins taking Culpepper over Brees

whodatfever

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Q: Which headline offseason acquisition was the biggest mistake?

A: The Terrell Owens sideshow already has taken a toll in Dallas, Edgerrin James is finding out there's no room to run in Arizona, and Adam Vinatieri can't stay on the field in Indy. But the Dolphins' passing on Drew Brees to trade for Daunte Culpepper has backfired as much as any key personnel decision anywhere.

Now the story in Miami is that Culpepper needs some rehab-type treatment in order to regain some of the explosiveness that last year's surgery to his right knee robbed him of. But wasn't that what Culpepper's nine-month rehabilitation from November to August was supposed to have done?

While they're at it, the Dolphins should find out if there's any program that can rebuild Culpepper's flagging confidence and career fortunes as well. Oh, and in case Miami has been myopic and missed the news, the resurgent Saints are 4-1 and looking solid with Brees at quarterback.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/10/ten.questions/2.html

I remember some VERY vitriolic comments during the "where is Brees going to wind up" period. Most of them coming after The Phins signed Pepper. Now believe me, Harrington is dying for a chance to prove himself (I just picked him up in fantasy) and anyone in Louisiana will gladly shake the hand of Nick Saban. That being said, the Saints record is bound to see darker days ahead if you look at our schedule. I just want to hear if their are still those who prefer Culpepper to Brees. And if so, why?

Good luck to the Phins. That's a team I've always liked!:up:

a. he is 10 times as talented
b. he can run
c. Culpeppers injury was 10 times as worse as brees.
d. he can throw alot better
e. He can get his roll on.

and the sad thing is, the finz have been burned TWICE now
by not taking brees. wanny passe him over for the imortal
jamar fletcher!!

now nickstedt blows it.

the circus continues!!!

HEY E-BAYERS: dont buy from MIXCUTERZ!!
they send dead merchandise with no refund.

AFRO11 said:
b. he can run

he asked for reasons that daunte was better than drew

and you go and give him all the reasons drew is better than daunte!!:eek:

One Trick Pony?

Pep's game is apparently dependant on him having wheels under him. Brees? More of a quarterback it seems.

whodatfever said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/10/ten.questions/2.html

I remember some VERY vitriolic comments during the "where is Brees going to wind up" period. Most of them coming after The Phins signed Pepper. Now believe me, Harrington is dying for a chance to prove himself (I just picked him up in fantasy) and anyone in Lousiana will gladly shake the hand of Nick Saban. That being said, the Saints record is bound to see darker days ahead if you look at our schedule. I just want to hear if their are still those who prefer Culpepper to Brees. And if so, why?

Good luck to the Phins. That's a team I've always liked!:up:

I'll take Culpepper over Brees every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

feelthepain said:
Out of loyalty? I'm curious as to why. He seems like a whiny and selfish brat. Harrington carries himself much better as a leader. Which is a major reason I was happy to land Brees. Character is a MAJOR asset in a player (IMHO). The same reason anytime T.O. hits the market I'm terrified we'll take a look at him.:chuckle:

AFRO11 said:
b. he can run

A joke right?

Culpepper is not nearly the all-around QB that Brees is.

Culpepper's injury was to his knee. Brees' injury was to his shoulder. A QB, who's biggest strength is PASSING (which a QB is supposed to be able to do from anywhere on the field) has to depend on his arm more than his legs. Culpepper's strength was to run around until someone came open. He can't do that now and his weakness are being exposed.

A stronger arm doesn't mean you can throw better. IT just means you can throw further and harder. But that doesn't translate into accuracy, reading defenses, confidence, etc - you know, things the Culpepper seems to lack. The accuracy part will be conflicted, but how often can a QB miss a running back who is standing 10 feet in front of him.

"the roll" doesn't win football games. It singles out an individual - and Culpepper is starting to show that is exactly what it's all about to him.

feelthepain said:

The post asked the question why. As usual you gave one of your patent homer answers. Come on over to Patsfans.com and tell us all about it. Dont be shy. You weren't this summer. Man up ,squid.

guys i thought that brees decided to go to the saints then we pick up culpepper...or like he was not taking the deal we offered him

I NEVER preferred Culpepper over Brees, if for no other reason than this:

Brees = free agent
Culpepper = cost a 2nd round pick

By the way, I am very happy the Saints are playing well. They deserve it after what happened last year. Best of luck the rest of the season.

guys i thought that brees decided to go to the saints then we pick up culpepper...or like he was not taking the deal we offered him

NE Matt said:
The post asked the question why. As usual you gave one of your patent homer answers. Come on over to Patsfans.com and tell us all about it. Dont be shy. You weren't this summer. Man up ,squid.
He would take Cleo Lemon over Brees anyday because of those teal colored glasses he wears. I guess he tends to post the exact homerism on every board he goes to. I'm almost sure , his fellow finfans don't agree with him over there as well?

Redneck Friend said:
and the sad thing is, the finz have been burned TWICE now
by not taking brees. wanny passe him over for the imortal
jamar fletcher!!

now nickstedt blows it.

the circus continues!!!

HEY E-BAYERS: dont buy from MIXCUTERZ!!
they send dead merchandise with no refund.
Yeah but brees wasnt lighting up the board until San Diego drafted rivers. Until that happened Brees wasnt even a option. Hes only had two good seasons.

I dont hate brees or Pepp. I would of taken anyone of them for the right price.

Back
Top Bottom