Don Banks: Biggest offseason mistake? Phins taking Culpepper over Brees | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Banks: Biggest offseason mistake? Phins taking Culpepper over Brees

I wanted Brees simply due to my preference. But when you look at their stats, the injuries they were recovering from. Daunte was the right choice. Don't forget, the Saints oline is better than ours, their schedule has been softer and although Brees looked good , he was demanding more money for an injured shoulder (throwing shoulder) in a qb who was Comeback Player.

I still like the Daunte pick up and think he will do great things here (as long as his head doesn't get screwed up).

What I like even better, is that the Daunte pickup allowed us to also get Joey. When else do you get 2 starting caliber QB's when we have been getting by with career backups all these years. What's the biggest difference?

Oline, and offensive playcalling. Say what you want about wanny ball but it would probably win us some games offensively this year with either QB at the helm.

I love all the hating on Brees..... Thats fine, but a little FYI. 5 weeks into the season Brees is the #7 QB in yardage, # 9 in passer rating, Oh and btw, the Saints are 4-1 losing only one close game on the road.

The better athlete isn't always the better QB.

guido13 said:
I wanted Brees simply due to my preference. But when you look at their stats, the injuries they were recovering from. Daunte was the right choice. Don't forget, the Saints oline is better than ours, their schedule has been softer and although Brees looked good , he was demanding more money for an injured shoulder (throwing shoulder) in a qb who was Comeback Player.

I still like the Daunte pick up and think he will do great things here (as long as his head doesn't get screwed up).

What I like even better, is that the Daunte pickup allowed us to also get Joey. When else do you get 2 starting caliber QB's when we have been getting by with career backups all these years. What's the biggest difference?

Oline, and offensive playcalling. Say what you want about wanny ball but it would probably win us some games offensively this year with either QB at the helm.

Saints Oline better? That is probably true, but would you have said that prior to week 5? Jammal Brown (1st year at LT), Jahri Evans (rookie 4th round draft pick from BLOOMSBURG), Jeff Faine (Cast off from Cleveland), Jamar Nesbit (a backup for the last 3+ years), Jon Stinchcomb (2nd round draft pick in 2003 that had started a total of ZERO games until this year, btw, he blew out his knee last year also).

feelthepain said:
I'll take Culpepper over Brees every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

LOL!!!!

That's probably the funniest (or saddest) comment I've ever read on this board!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

BigSaint8050 said:
I love all the hating on Brees..... Thats fine, but a little FYI. 5 weeks into the season Brees is the #7 QB in yardage, # 9 in passer rating, Oh and btw, the Saints are 4-1 losing only one close game on the road.

Not everyone.
A lot of us wanted him here.

A lot of guys just think they have to all out defend Culpepper and are taking shots at Brees.
Not exactly happy times around these parts if you haven't noticed.

Yes it was the biggest mistake but the best thing they did was taking Harrington as an insurance policy and only giving Cpep a 1mil salary for his first year. They basically set it up so that if Cpep wasn't healthy they could get rid of him next year and keep Harrington around to replace him. That is proving to be the best decision so far.

Ok, I need to post here. Sewveral reasons.
1. Data that was out there showed shoulder not completly healed ala Chad Pennington.
2. Brees was not going to settle for less than 10 million per year and we got CP for what 2-5 million?

It 's a lot less but allows us to put that money somewhere else and in the future.

3. We wer smart enough to get JH (starting experience and still a solid QB) He has Brees potentiol as a game manager and with guidence (we have proper guidence in miami) He will be more successful.

BigSaint8050 said:

We dont hate Brees but its true that Brees wanted more money. It was never abouyt being apart of something special. He would of signed anywhere if the money was right. Saban did the right thing at the time considering the circumstances.

As for the saints being better your right buts not because of Brees. Brees is just part of the team solution hes is not the whole solution. It takes a team to win and brees wont do it alone. Thats the difference in Miami VS the Saints.

Brees is and was a winner, Culpepper never won anything, seemed to always peter out in when push comes to shove. Huge mistake.

Silentobserver said:
Brees is and was a winner, Culpepper never won anything, seemed to always peter out in when push comes to shove. Huge mistake.

What has brees won that culpepper hasnt. Dont get me wrong I like Brees and Pepper but the last time I checked Brees has had only two good years. Brees stunk it up in the NFL till the Chargers drafted Rivers.

Why would you think the Chargers drafted rivers because brees wasnt getting it done. The same could be said of pepper not having Moss but then again Moss aint lighting up the numbers with his qb either.

We need to hold off judgment untill the whole offense plays well then we can make a fair judgment on Pepper. It the team plays well and pepper aint getting it done then it was a mistake but this offesne has more than QB problems right now to blame the whole thing on pepper.

AFRO11 said:
a. he is 10 times as talented
b. he can run
c. Culpeppers injury was 10 times as worse as brees.
d. he can throw alot better
e. He can get his roll on.

A. He is ten 10 times as talented
So is Aaron Brooks.

B. He can run.
So can Aaron Brooks.

C. His injury was 10 times worse than Brees.
So this is a good thing??

D. He can throw alot better.
Not from his back and that is where holding the ball to long gets you.

E. He can get his roll on.
That is for teh ghey!

Im Confused Daunte is Benched because of the O-line can't block the 1st 4 games he was sacked 25 times, granted the fumbles were his fault but u can't bench him because the o-line is Terrible!

Harrington is & always will be a good 2nd string Qb Imo...

Brees wanted guaranteed big money and Saban felt it was too much risk based on the Fins doctor's opinion of Brees' shoulder. Brees decided on NO after we wouldn't guarantee big money because of the risk, Saban did the smart thing, who knew Daunte was going to suck?

Walking25 said:
Im Confused Daunte is Benched because of the O-line can't block the 1st 4 games he was sacked 25 times, granted the fumbles were his fault but u can't bench him because the o-line is Terrible!

Harrington is & always will be a good 2nd string Qb Imo...

I have resisted weighing in on this subject - since I am a long standing Drew Brees fan since this Purdue days. Also, I have admittedly not really watched the Dolphins since the MNF game in week 1 (which, BTW, I thought Culpepper looked pretty good for 3 qtrs.)

I just want to bring up one point.

Everyone is familiar that Purdue played basketball on grass. Basically this required Brees to make a reads of up to 4 or 5 different potential receivers, and then get rid of the ball - QUICKLY. It was not a traditional drop back passing style. What a lot of people don't remember is that their O-line was not a strong suit in Brees' 1st couple of years, so getting rid of the ball quickly was a necessity.

In San Diego in 2003, the Chargers were awful (4 -12), Brees was benched for 5 games (fans questioned - believe it or not - if Brees was smart enough to QB at the NFL level), Rivers got drafted, etc... Brees definitely had growing pains in his own game to overcome, but again - the o-line was awful.

So in 2004, the Chargers revamp the o-line (two rookies, a FA, and some journeymen - trust me, NO ONE thought that line was any good in the beginning of that season), went 12 -4 and Brees makes the Pro Bowl. Why? Well, one (of many) reasons is Brees learned - now on the Pro level - on how to take what the defense gives him, make his reads, and then get rid of the ball - QUICKLY.

So fast forward to 2006: Brees is in nearly the exact same situation in NO that he was in 2004 in SD - and I suspect would have been in Miami. NO's o-line was NOT suppose to be a strong suit this year. Yet, Brees sack totals are low, and he's had games where he has completed passes to 8 - 10 different receivers.

My long-winded point is this: Brees has been TRAINED over the past 10 years be the QB that both NO and Miami need this year. And it didn't happen overnight. He about lost his entire career in 2003 in the process.

So my message is to relax on Culpepper. He has to learn to be a different QB than the one he was in Minnesota. There, he had time to wait on receivers to hit them deep, and could buy time with his scrambling ability. But now he has a new system, a suspect o-line, a back who has to learn to be an every down back, and all of this while recovering from a severe injury. It's too early to call him a bust. It's very possible that if you let him endure his growing pains this year, he can be a pro bowl QB next year.

Back
Top Bottom