Don't Look Now, But Tannehill Is Having A Resurgence - Again | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't Look Now, But Tannehill Is Having A Resurgence - Again

I’m reserving judgment on Tannehill until after the season. He’s shown up these past couple of games, I want to see how he handles it in the home stretch.

Kind of where I am at although I think he absolutely should be on the team for the next two years. His play on Sunday was really incredible when you take into account the injuries. Hell it was still a good performance if he was healthy. With that said, I want to see some points on the road against a good defense (in a terrible spot). That would alleviate some discontent I have had with this offense. Gase and Thill have to average out these road/home splits. We have averaged 27 points at home with Gase and Thill. Averaged 16 on the road. I want that away number to improve. Has to improve.

Tannehill has an opportunity to keep his job for 2019 and maybe beyond, but the Dolphins still MUST draft a young QB in 2019 and keep their options open for taking one in the first round in 2020, even as a successor to Tannehill down the road (if he turns the corner).

We need a Pat Mahomes to Tannehill's Alex Smith.

We're stuck. Notice that some of Tannehill's biggest fans soured on him earlier in the season but now have returned as touts.

That is the incredible danger of making subjective swaying decisions based on a small window of results, as opposed to a long term logical overview. cbrad on the other site is one of the very few who doesn't fall prey to the faulty thinking. Darn shame he doesn't post here.

When you apply a method like that then all of a sudden you are making wild assertions and adjustments within the same category. That's how suddenly Kirk Cousins is not even close to Ryan Tannehill, when over the bulk of their careers the meaningful stats have always slanted sharply in the other direction. <O> (Shouright) was making that point a year ago, that Cousins was far ahead of Tannehill by applicable meaningful numbers. We've had Andy Dalton dismissed as nothing but a product of A.J. Green, and not in the same realm as Tannehill.

Those are Crowd quarterbacks. No kidding there will be fluctuation. It is not a straight line of plug and play predictable results. That's why Crowd teams are eligible to defeat Cream teams. It happens often. But it is like a tease. Gaps are so narrow in this league that Crowd can pretend as Cream and fool the fans who want to adjust up, up and away. But if you ignore recency and look at results in total, and in comparison to undeniable Cream, that's when the jolt of reality applies. We have a Crowd quarterback in a league with new Cream quarterbacks entering all the time. That means our margin for error is incredibly low. Andy Reid is now eligible to make personnel mistakes and dismiss star running backs and suffer injuries galore. He took the risk and found that star quarterback. The window and margin for error are now immense.

Granted, it would be an outlier result to mirror Kansas City's accomplishment. I fully acknowledge that. But I always have to laugh when posters here scramble to list Crowd quarterbacks who won Super Bowls. They supply that same type of outlier list, the same handful of names every time. And I guess we are supposed to be impressed, even though Super Bowls now span 50+ seasons.

I hear you but I think most of us are just rooting/hoping for the guy to do good. Kirk cousins or Andy dalton have never been world beaters and most people have always had Tannehill in that class whether their numbers are a hair better is kind of moot. I gave up on RT a long time ago but if he comes back and proves me wrong I’ll be thrilled

Same story... tannehill needs to show x before I’ll believe in him. The x of course is a moving target. Couple years ago it was all about the long ball...

I don’t know what to make of this team. Clearly there are coaching or at least game day decisions that need correcting. A defense that is fundamentally flawed, and a dc that is in over his head.

We have a contingent who want to bitch and moan about the qb, but only offer hindsight solutions and no forward thinking. Would they have given up our entire draft for mayfield?

This team is stuck for sure. We need new fans who are interested in real solutions and offer real insight instead of this 20/20 bullshit.

# of games/total games with a QB rating at 100+

2012: 2/16 (.125)
2013: 2/16 (.125)
2014: 6/16 (.375)
2015: 4/16 (.25)
2016: 3/13 (.231)
2018: 5/8 (.625)

2018:

Last edited:
# of games/total games with a QB rating at 100+

2012: 2/16 (.125)
2013: 2/16 (.125)
2014: 6/16 (.375)
2015: 4/16 (.25)
2016: 3/16 (.1875)
2018: 5/8 (.625)

2018:
nitpicking but it should be 3/12 in 2016

Funny comment but there is some truth to it. He doesn't seem to do well when flustered in the pocket. Now when there is a WR for him he will stand there and take that hit, but I just don't like the hits he takes when he seems to be completely caught by surprise.

Exactly what QB does well when being hammered constantly? Brady gets his toes licked by everyone and look what happens when he gets "flustered" in the pocket.
I'm not dogging on you, I'm just not following the logic of this being some isolated tannehill issue. Every QB who is caught by surprise takes a bad hit. We have to stop this narrative that every hit he takes in under 2 seconds is part of this pocket presence narrative nonsense. Yes he's held the ball too long sometimes..... but so does every single other QB sometimes too. He's definitely not a stand out in that regard. Don't fall for the hype .

I know people keep saying should still look at drafting a qb in the middle rounds, but are any of those qbs really more of a prospect than Luke Falk? A non-first round qb likely won't be ready to be a number two qb in 2019 and Miami needs a backup qb that's ready to if Tannehill does go down. I think I would rather add 25-27 year old NFL vet, maybe one with some starting experience.

I know people keep saying should still look at drafting a qb in the middle rounds, but are any of those qbs really more of a prospect than Luke Falk? A non-first round qb likely won't be ready to be a number two qb in 2019 and Miami needs a backup qb that's ready to if Tannehill does go down. I think I would rather add 25-27 year old NFL vet, maybe one with some starting experience.

The only guy that is really worth looking at who meets those criteria is Teddy Bridgewater and he will probably be getting starter money.

Exactly what QB does well when being hammered constantly? Brady gets his toes licked by everyone and look what happens when he gets "flustered" in the pocket.
I'm not dogging on you, I'm just not following the logic of this being some isolated tannehill issue. Every QB who is caught by surprise takes a bad hit. We have to stop this narrative that every hit he takes in under 2 seconds is part of this pocket presence narrative nonsense. Yes he's held the ball too long sometimes..... but so does every single other QB sometimes too. He's definitely not a stand out in that regard. Don't fall for the hype .

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Yes he's held the ball too long sometimes..... but so does every single other QB sometimes too.

Agreed, and the doubters don't want to acknowledge what "holding onto the ball too long" often turns into? (for teams other than the Dolphins).... Huge plays (because the defense can't be expected to cover for that long...) I heard the announcers say that numerous times on Sunday about Brady.

How the hell can any QB "have all day in the pocket" if they are not hanging onto the ball? People just make no sense.

Don't throw short..... Don't check down..... Wait for your routes to develop..... DON'T HOLD ONTO THE BALL!!!!!!!!

Since 2016, which is when Gase took over as Miami’s head coach, he and Tannehill have delivered a 97.6 passer rating (ninth best in NFL during that span) And Tannehill is averaging 7.8 yards per attempt (sixth best), completing 67 percent of his passes (fifth best) and has turned 6.0 percent of his passes into touchdowns (second best).

Tell me again how he is not a top 10 QB.....

Drew Brees was like 60 games in (with San Diego) then found his true success with the Saints.

Rich Gannon was 10 or 11 years into a 17 year career when he found 6 seasons of his true success in Oakland.

Tannehill is blazing his trail somewhere in between! :D

Back
Top Bottom